It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reporting Drunk Drivers = Cash Rewards for Florida Drivers

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Antiquated1

It takes away the freedom to drive in peace without someone looking over your shoulder and being encouraged to play vigilante with your life.

This other person sharing the road may only THINK you are drinking and YOU will be the one who gets stopped whether you are drinking or not.

Sufficient cause will be what is in debate.

Of course it is helpful and necessary for people who are driving all over the road obviously incapacitated to be turned into the police, but to incentivize a call will make people call for no reason or the wrong reason because they NEED the hundred dollars.

Not sure what country you are from but in the US you are innocent until PROVEN guilty and they cannot send a posse out after you if you are innocent.
We don't send our citizens out on missions to rat on each other.
It is despicable.

This will affect innocent people having them be stopped and harassed by the cops.
No Big deal if you are innocent you say?

It is a big deal.
We all know where even just getting stopped by the cops can lead in even the most innocent of situations - a 80 year old woman was tased for starting to walk around her car!!!
If it was your grandma who was tasered and if you find she was stopped without real cause (maybe she was distracted for a second and swerved) - so someone could make a $100 you would be dead set against this incentive.

People have always had the right to call 911 and report a drunk driver.

Anyone that needs a $100 incentive to do the right thing doesn't deserve the $100.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   
First let me get the begging out of the way....
Please share the star and flag I desperately need to raise my K figure!!!
I had a lot of traffic but no one left me goodies.

Hope you continue reading as this is an experiment and a good question DOES follow.

1st: Thanks very much to all of you who replied - whether or not you star & flagged it!

Originally posted by Blueracer
What's the big deal? Really? If someone is drunk and driving, I would report them for free.

Originally posted by FPB214
I live In Florida, not like I would every do this, but hell the $100 sounds nice to me.

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth
Bottom line, If you see what you think is a drunk driver, you call 911... If you don't they might just kill them selves or some one else...

Originally posted by ziggy1706
so they themselves after ratting someone out who came out of a bar, can go in and get drunk themselves. messed up aint it

Originally posted by beezzer
What if I don't like someone. I call the cops on a neighbor who doesn't do his lawn or pick up his trash. Or an ex-girlfriend could exact revenge. The potential for abuse is there. I'd say

Originally posted by grey580
If you drink and drive then you deserve to be ratted out...If you had the power to save the life of a child. Wouldn't you?

Originally posted by pop_scienceI find it sad that people need to be motivated by money to initialize a sense of compassion, concern and logic.If that's what it takes I guess there's nothing you can do about it and hopefully it will save lives..

Originally posted by acrux Slowly get people use to ratting on people for DUI, for reward, then progress them on to other things to rat people out for reward. Soon everyone is spying on each other

Originally posted by macman
(Sorry macman I coulnd figure where the break was here)

Originally posted by anon72
Better than madatory stop/check points where you have to prove your innocents before you are allowed to proceed.

Originally posted by Silcone Synapse
They should not have to offer rewards for people to report drink drivers IMO.
I hate the snitch culture the government in the UK has tried to instill in my country-people...Like others have mentioned,you should not need a reward in this kind of matter.

Originally posted by eleventhsunI'm not one to call the cops about petty stuff, try my best to avoid them all together but I would definitely report someone endangering anyone in their car especially drunks.

Originally posted by Afterthought
This is just another extension of the "See something, say something" campaign by Homeland Security.

Originally posted by dolphinfan

People should not be rewarded for doing the right thing and if someone looks to be a danger, you should call 911 on them.

Originally posted by SphinxMontreal
They'll probably catch the drunk driver, screw you out of the $100.00, harass you for bothering them and put you on a list for being a "snitch", so your services can come in handy in the future. I'd rather report the drunk driver anonymously and forgo the hundred bucks, which is not worth the potential problems.

Originally posted by boundsoul
When you report a possible drunk driver, the 911 call taker will ask a series of questions to determine how the person appears to be impaired.

Originally posted by Truth_Hz
A bloody great idea IMO...If it takes £100 to bribe people into possibly saving someones life then so be it..

Originally posted by Antiquated1If those people are not driving drunk, what is the issue? Cops usually come back and visit the jerk that called and wasted their time where I live so I cannot really see how this would work out for you.

Originally posted by meathed Whats next, dobing in your neighbours on religious grounds? It looks like Nazi Germany lives on in the USA. Florida is the new Gestapo state.

Originally posted by Sherlock Holmes A large proportion of the general populace are unduly selfish and lack any civic responsibility.

Originally posted by Make Speed Limit 45
I like this but one problem is it encourages drivers to use their cell while driving.
Good point Make.

Originally posted by JBA2848
For those who think this is agood idea. www.pulledover.com...
Thank you - great post!

I agree with all of you to a certain extent but like a few of you I am also against this incentive on principal.
If you allow vigilantism and monetarily incentivized tattling. Sets up a bad precedent. People should turn in drunk drivers when they see them on the road - but not because they are getting paid for it.

Meanwhile Im sort of testing to see if I can reply to more than one person at once.

If it works FYI - open 2 windows and just cut & paste the quote or reply heading and end after you hit it.
Still not to waste your time I have another question for you all.

Since you took the time to respond here just wondering what you think of this story I ran across.
There is an APP for drunk drivers to avoid checkpoints.
I don't want to start a thread on it but any of you can.
A newcovenant exclusive! At least did not find it after searching ATS. And it is interesting but a totally opposite concept to what I started out discussing here in this thread.
Thanks for your patience and attention if I still have you up to here.

Senators Miffed Over Drunk Driver Apps
techdailydose.nationaljournal.com...

Drunk and want to avoid the police? There's an app for that, and Congress doesn't like it.
Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., and three other Democratic senators Tuesday wrote executives with Apple, BlackBerry-maker Research In Motion and Google to complain about applications in their apps stores that alert drivers to drunken driving checkpoints.
"We appreciate the technology that has allowed millions of Americans to have information at their fingertips, but giving drunk drivers a free tool to evade checkpoints, putting innocent families and children at risk, is a matter of public concern," Reid and Sens. Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., Frank Lautenberg, D-N.J., and Tom Udall, D-N.M., wrote.

Curious why the GOP is not represented in this complaint against this application?
They must think this is a great idea? Will not hamper "Corporatist Interests" even if it is to save lives!!?? I ask you...isn't this a little telling? If anyone does start a thread on this iphone APP to detect road blocks you can count on at least me to be there to bring this point up!

All -Enjoy your day!

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I wish they had this in michigan I could have made some cash. I was out last Friday and saw 3 drunks within an hour.

<< 1  2   >>

join