It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reporting Drunk Drivers = Cash Rewards for Florida Drivers

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   
This is a new program begun here in Florida. Mobile Eyes Against Drunk Drivers
What do you people think about it?

www.safetycouncilpbc.org...

www.lawteam.com...

A new initiative to stop West Palm Beach drunk drivers could put cash in your pocket. "Mobile Eyes Against Drunk Driving" is a new program aimed at motorists who notice other drivers under the influence, who try to stay clear of the swerving vehicles, but usually don't report them. It's a fairly simple solution: motorists call 911 to report a potentially intoxicated driver. If the reported driver is apprehended and charged with DUI before any damage is done, the motorist receives $100 for the tip.

This means you can turn someone in for swerving and if they are caught driving drunk you get a reward for ratting them out. I think it sets a dangerous precedent myself but curious to see the ATS reaction to this.

edit on 22-5-2011 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   
I see Grandpa and Grandma patrolling the bar scenes late at night in hopes of making some extra money to pay for their medication and food.

Go Florida!!!!!

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   
What's the big deal? Really? If someone is drunk and driving, I would report them for free.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by newcovenant

I live In Florida, not like I would every do this, but hell the $100 sounds nice to me.

Fact is though, people swerve all the time and for all we know they could be texting on their phones. I can make a job out of turning in drunk drivers, find 4 drunk drivers in one week and get paid $400, sounds good. Although, them being apprehended is unlikely.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   
It was not even a month ago that I was on the road. There was a woman driving in front of me... Swerving severely. It was a 4 lane road and she was swerving from guard rail to guard rail. Not sure how she managed not to crash.
Then she got onto the highway. Swerving directly into other cars, who had to slam on their brakes to miss her, swerve out of the way to avoid wrecks and at it was obvious she was going to kill herself or some one else.

I called 911. She was swerving right into big rigs, and cars and it was only a matter of time before she killed some one... I called 911 and kept an eye on her until the police got to her and pulled her over. She was VERY drunk.

I called them not because of any kind of potential gain I may have gotten from it. I called them in order to avoid a potential loss... Of life!

Bottom line, If you see what you think is a drunk driver, you call 911... If you don't they might just kill them selves or some one else...

What this is, is just extra incentive for people to report potential life threatening situations such as drunk drivers. I think it is sad that people have to be bribed... I think the potential loss of life, should be incentive enough.

But hey, if it works it works.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   
My roomated lived in Florida around 2004/2005...think it was near ft.lauderdale area. He was telling me, back then, its messed up...someone could be drunk coming out of abar, driving drunk, and all yuo gotta do is tell apolice officer..money in your hand* prob like a $50 thing for snitching. its anohter way for pwepole to make some cash, so they themselves after ratting someone out who came out of a bar, can go in and get drunk themselves. messed up aint it

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by ziggy1706

It isn't totally right, but people will do whatever they need to to make some cash, even if they are going to do the same thing. Also Ziggy, by the many typo's in your post, im thinking you are drunk right now

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   
What if I don't like someone. I call the cops on a neighbor who doesn't do his lawn or pick up his trash. Or an ex-girlfriend could exact revenge.
The potential for abuse is there.
I'd say

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   
I dont drink! sorry bout the typos..had a LONG day, and type fast* hence forth the typos my bad.
its a messed up way to make money. so much for looking out for one another, let alone your neighbor..what morales weve adopted past few decades

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by FPB214
reply to post by ziggy1706

It isn't totally right, but people will do whatever they need to to make some cash, even if they are going to do the same thing. Also Ziggy, by the many typo's in your post, im thinking you are drunk right now

I haven't had a chance to read and respond to all replies but this is so funny I had to mention it.
Cheers and somebody hide Ziggys keys.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
If you drink and drive then you deserve to be ratted out.

I have no sympathy. You can kill someone. And that someone might be a little kid.
What you gonna do then?
If you had the power to save the life of a child. Wouldn't you?

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Wow..People will b-tch and moan about anything and everything won't they?

If a person abuses it..in the end it doesn't matter if the person isn't intoxicated and if they are they get what they deserve.

I find it sad that people need to be motivated by money to initialize a sense of compassion, concern and logic.
If that's what it takes I guess there's nothing you can do about it and hopefully it will save lives.

It's also sad that people are so dim to still drive while drunk...Instead of being able to turn them in for money I'd much rather be given a portal gun to direct them into a brick wall.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Slowly get people use to ratting on people for DUI, for reward, then progress them on to other things to rat people out for reward. Soon everyone is spying on each other & even selling out their own blood.

The idled-brained do-gooders will lick this up

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
What if I don't like someone. I call the cops on a neighbor who doesn't do his lawn or pick up his trash. Or an ex-girlfriend could exact revenge.
The potential for abuse is there.
I'd say

Yeah, if it is deemed fraudulent, then you get a ticket for false reporting.

I call anytime I see DUIs.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Better than madatory stop/check points where you have to prove your innocents before you are allowed to proceed.

The one problem I have with this program though... What if the driver isn't drunk or impaired. Their rights were just violated as they were stopped without cause and/or sufficient evidence to raise to the level of Probable Cause.

Now, maybe if the cop shows up and witnesses the events himself then makes the stop-thats a different story.

What I believe to be odd is that this will cause an increase in calls made to police but the police won't have anymore manpower to get the job done.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
They should not have to offer rewards for people to report drink drivers IMO.
I hate the snitch culture the government in the UK has tried to instill in my country-people being encouraged to report neighbors for leaving bin bags out on the wrong day/smoking in work vans etc-But I think its our duty to report when a serious crime has been committed,where lives are at risk.

Most of us wouldn't hesitate to report a violent robbery/attack,and drink driving has the same potential outcome,or worse.
Like others have mentioned,you should not need a reward in this kind of matter.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Not gonna lie I despise people who drive drunk. In this day with all the proof and history of the danger and death toll these drivers have.

I'm not one to call the cops about petty stuff, try my best to avoid them all together but I would definitely report someone endangering anyone in their car especially drunks.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

I agree with you. Most of the time, the checks are reported prior to anyways, so they can be avoided.
This is just another extension of the "See something, say something" campaign by Homeland Security.

I certainly agree with the poster who said that they'd report without any monetary gain necessary.

Edit to Add: Florida is the worst place to be implementing this because of all the elderly drivers that can beeasily mistaken for drunk drivers.

As an aside, the bird on the DHS logo is a phoenix and not an eagle. = order out of chaos and a rebirth from total destruction. The little feather sticking out on the top of its head means it's a phoenix. Eagles are not represented this way.
edit on 23-5-2011 by Afterthought because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   

People should not be rewarded for doing the right thing and if someone looks to be a danger, you should call 911 on them.

Now, calling 911 forces you to use your phone while driving, hence committing a violation to report one and engaging in one unsafe activity to report another.

Either way its better than the business they have in Seattle where you call 1800-HERO to report someone who is driving in the HOV lane while only having one person in the car. That is absurd. Only in Seattle would they consider someone reporting an HOV violation a HERO
edit on 23-5-2011 by dolphinfan because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   
They'll probably catch the drunk driver, screw you out of the $100.00, harass you for bothering them and put you on a list for being a "snitch", so your services can come in handy in the future. I'd rather report the drunk driver anonymously and forgo the hundred bucks, which is not worth the potential problems.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join