It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is your favorite prep item?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   
There are many people that think and prep differently, due to the area or climate that they are in.
What are some area specific items that you have in your BOB, BOV or at your BOL?

Example.... if your down south you might have a casting net for shrimp if your in the gulf or coastal water ways.
If your in washington state, you might have a some special saw or ax for cutting timber or clearing a trail.

Why I am wondering, is to possibly find an item that I or someone else might not have thought of, for assisting in survival.... in your BOB, BOV, or at a BOL.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by saltdog

toilet paper!!!

edit,,,
LOTS of Toilet Paper..
edit on 5/22/11 by darrman because: ?

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Easy one ... Sharks with frick'n laser beams (attached to their heads). Seriously, what else would you want?

Water filter is on top of my list.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   
A good knife. With this tool in your possession, all things are possible.

Well, obviously not all things. You're not gonna wanna jump out of a plane with just a knife in your teeth....... unless you're Chuck Norris.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Surgical tubing. Tie it, bend it, stretch it, clamp it, blow through it and suck out of it.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   
At this time in my life, I can honestly say that God is the only thing I need to survive anything. Yes, I know OP, you are not heading that way with your post.

But think about it. No amount of ammunition, food, water will make you survive during a worst case scenario.

When SHTF, I will take a bullet in the head. No need to survive in a world so full of hatred and apathetic humanism.

I'm done. Would you be there for me if I was hungry, cold and unclothed? Probably not. It's all about survival of the ego, not the species.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   
I second a good survival knife. My knife of choice is a WWII surplus gurkha kukri. Its construction is full tang with a wooden handle, the blade itself made from an old leaf spring probably. Its not a "pretty" knife suitable for display but its a big tough blade that can be used as a machete, camp axe, or defensive item.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
I think there can only be one single best item.

Pretty much all about the tactical bacon. Instructions are very clear. Open can. Receive bacon.

www.youtube.com...

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
One item I find handy in any situation are zip-ties. All purpose connectors for damn near anything and everything, if you ask me! I have three large bags of them in my BOB.

Kudos to Chuck Norris and tactical bacon!

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Shadowalker

That's horrible. Looks like something they'd serve in Hell just before the 2 o'clock rapings begin.
What IS that? Looks like a can of smegma.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   
A water container is my most important. 20 liters last about 6 days but can vary depending on conditions.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Strippers & Duct Tape, not necessarily in that order. Oh yeah, and water. Some Red Bull might be handy too.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 02:02 AM
link   
My favourite Prep item?

My intellect.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 02:27 AM
link   
reply to post by DataWraith

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww you beat me to the draw on that one.
That is a sure sign of my age showing. My mind seems to be all I have left, and after this poor attempt to beat you to the punch, it would seem even that is leaving for a holiday.

Star for you though.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Gotta go with a kukri, and not one of those POS ones, get a good one and your pretty well set. Useful for digging chopping down trees, defence, splitting wood, etc.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by darrman
reply to post by saltdog

toilet paper!!!

edit,,,
LOTS of Toilet Paper..
edit on 5/22/11 by darrman because: ?

yeap i would have to agree, you dont want to get mud butt when the SHTF happens

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
military pilot survival knife with stone and sheath....is my favorite, I really like several other items too....my bayliner boat and plane are also right up there.
edit on 23-5-2011 by saltdog because: cannot type today

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Some really good ideas here.. Things to include in a 72hr BOB I presume??

At night I would say flashlight
For serious events I would say water or a water filtration kit (nothing else will matter without water for 3 days)
For minor events I would say a cell phone or money

I think it depends alot on the seriousness, type and localization of the situation/scenario.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   
depends on your climate

depends on the time of year

a bob for every occasion.

you will need more water in summer than winter in fact alot of snow will make water a breeze.

some way to melt it or carrying a water container next to your body and it will thaw.

water
water filter
water purification.

the most important item that everyone needs is clean and safe water.

without it your a dead duck

new topics

top topics

join