It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Joplin Missouri Hammered Hard by tornadoes!

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

A lot of the numbers are their ID numbers, Unit #'s, etc. I have heard a lot of that, and a lot of addresses.

107 appears to be dispatch.

From what I can tell, all of the 3 digit numerics are patrol units from the city police.
The 2 digit and combinations of alpha-numeric are fire and ems services. There are a lot of volunteer units and units from other areas, so they are identifying themselves differently.
edit on 23-5-2011 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Hey getready, Thank you so much for your valuable reports. Very relieved to hear your family is okay. If there is anything at all I can do, please let me know.

Thanks,
Pax

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Eee, 20th and Wisconson, body bags needed. 4 total as far as they know for certain.
edit on 23-5-2011 by antar because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   
The only radio "talk" I'm sure of is "J4"... it means fatality.

And by the number of "J4's" coming in from the police radio over the past 4+ hours that I've been listening to, it sounds like there's going to be hundreds of fatalities.

This is really really bad.

And the local police have now put off any searches until 7am... it's just too dark and dangerous for them to be digging through debris now.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by CranialSponge

That is most certain. The Newsleader story ready for the morning is pretty telling too. That and they are still looking for Dr.s and Nurses from other areas. It is dangerous at this point though to be digging under debris for survivors.

This just keeps making me think about a New Madras event. How could it be coordinated for millions? This is a town of about 40+ thousand and it is just over whelming to the first responders.

* I just keep thinking that our members from Joplin need to be checking in, but I guess we will have to wait and pray.*
edit on 23-5-2011 by antar because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

Ya, 40k or so, and those two hospitals are huge! At least triple the size of what we have here in tallahassee. Plus, the mindset there is very rural and survival oriented. These people are prepared for anything, and it is still this bad! Even the storm chasers and weather channel folks seem to be at a loss for words.

Tornadoes aren't taken very seriously though. My mom and dad are just a mile or two north, and they watched those clouds from their front porch with no idea of the devastation taking place. That is what people in the midwest do. Tornado sirens mean to run out and look for it, lol!

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by antar

That is most certain. The Newsleader story ready for the morning is pretty telling too. That and they are still looking for Dr.s and Nurses from other areas. It is dangerous at this point though to be digging under debris for survivors.

This just keeps making me think about a New Madras event. How could it be coordinated for millions? This is a town of about 40+ thousand and it is just over whelming to the first responders.

Yes, and I think the problem there has been escalated due to the fact that the huge St. John's hospital is wiped right out, as was one of their fire departments... so less emergency equipment to work with as well as less beds to handle the incoming injured. The other hospital (Fairview?) has stopped receiving patients and are now only taking level 1 conditions. They've maxed out.

One nurse reported witnessing a 300lb man getting literally sucked out of the 6th floor window of St. John's hospital when all of the windows blew out as the tornado whipped by.

This particular tornado (plus 2 other smaller ones accompanying it) was an extremely powerful one... ripping through a highly populated area midday only makes it that much worse.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Just heard another call on Jasper County Law Enforcement Agencies Live Audio Feed for body bags. 20 this time.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 12:34 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

HA! Guilty as charged, what more can I say, it is as if we get so many close calls we become desensitized to the sirens and to the chance of something hitting us. It seems as we move closer to the solar maximum the tornadoes are becoming more predictably dangerous than in past years. I was here as a young girl and then this time for the past 15 years and have always been energized by storms.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 12:35 AM
link   
I pray for all in Joplin...and dont mean to criticize from afar, but the last thing Id think of doing would be POSTPONING the search until 7am!

Bring searchlights..hell, id be there with multiple flashlights looking until I collapsed from exhaustion.

I hope they dont stop.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Man the stories just keep rolling in on the scanner...

Now, that picture of the 300lb man being sucked out is just so sad and frightning.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by antar

Man the stories just keep rolling in on the scanner...

Now, that picture of the 300lb man being sucked out is just so sad and frightning.

I thought the samre thing. How awful is this? Its sickening...

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by KaiserSoze

Yeah, the voices of the night shift officers have become more grim over the past 90 minutes. Nowhere near the level of chipper in their voice as when the first came on. Honestly, this should be required listening for those that say all pigs are scum. The level of humanity in the voices of those doing their real job of public service in candid, yet still professional conversation might let people see things differently.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   
reply to post by amongus

I did hear that they were bringing in generators, but those are for the base's most probably.

One thing though, in this situation every person there wants to help, wants to find survivors, but the burnout in their voices was enough to know that they needed to stop and regroup in the AM.

There are still graveyard crews, and tonight it is a literal term.

Seems they have switched channels too as it is much less active.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by amongus

It is a hard thing to stop looking, but why waste that last bit of energy in a futile search in the dark, when you could rest for a few hours and be able to make a better search with daylight? Conservation of resources means conserving the energy and effectiveness of your personnel.

Also, some of the units are just arriving on the scene, and they will probably work through the night in a lighter capacity.
Wow, that is so odd? That is exactly the same call as earlier? Whoa!!!! This is a replay from earlier? Exactly same call, fight in progress, stealing of bodies, clarifying ? THIS IS NOT LIVE!!! WTH?

This is all a replay from about 10:30 p.m.?
edit on 23-5-2011 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Dear gawd !!!

Here's a cellphone video as the tornado happened with a bunch of people who took shelter at one of the local gas stations !!!

edit on 23-5-2011 by CranialSponge because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Yeah I just watched this. Very intense video. I actually cried when the panic set in. I felt so bad for them. Glad everyone was safe. : (

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

They have been using cell phones a lot as well. Might be 20-30 officers on night shift. And I would imagine a number of them are at some of the shelters like that church that only had one officer that had two casualties to transport to the hospital but did not want to leave the people unsupervised at the church for fear of problems.

One of the best conversations was an officer reporting to base about a man with a gun threatening to "shoot 'em" in reference to a vague target. The base responded "Shoot who? Looters?" in the tone of if that was his plan let him have at it. I had to laugh at that one. That was 11pm EST.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Ahh, that was terrifying, the child so scared. It was like a roller coaster ride. I am sweating after that, could literally feel their experience.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by CranialSponge
Dear gawd !!!

Here's a cellphone video as the tornado happened with a bunch of people who took shelter at one of the local gas stations !!!

edit on 23-5-2011 by CranialSponge because: (no reason given)

The sheer buildup to the terror and all the way through was the most horrifying thing ive ever seen on video.

No exaggeration. Oh. My. God.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join