It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Joplin Missouri Hammered Hard by tornadoes!

page: 39
<< 36  37  38    40 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

Good Morning Antar.........You can get some information from this site.........Link

There maybe a list of public meetings on one of the social networks.........I have not looked

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

I think its been awhile since you have been to Joplin.

First Joplin does have a diverse economy these days. while other cities have been laying off employees and cutting services, Joplin has maintained Services and city employees. and did it without raising taxes. The majority of Damage in Joplin was to residental areas, retail areas, and medical services areas And out of 300 businesses that were destroyed in the tornado only 5 have said they will not be rebuilding according to a survey completed by the chamber of commerce.

Also the schools here in Joplin are a lot better than when me and you attended them. the graduation rate continues to increase each year aswell.

The population in Joplin the last 10 years has increase 10.2% according to the 2010 census.

here are the demographics from 2000

In the city the population was spread out with 23.2% under the age of 18 , 13.5% from 18 to 24, 27.3% from 25 to 44, 20.3% from 45 to 64, and 15.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 35 years. For every 100 females there were 90.4 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 86.0 males.

The median income for a household in the city was $30,555, and the median income for a family was $38,888. Males had a median income of $28,569 versus $20,665 for females. The per capita income for the city was $17,738. About 10.5% of families and 14.8% of the population were below the poverty line, including 18.8% of those under age 18 and 9.4% of those age 65 or over.

Yes Joplin has a meth problem but its not as bad as you make it out And i have yet to find a source that backs up your claim that Jasper county is the worst county in the country.

The reason Pitcher OK didn't rebuild was because it was AN EPA Superfund site and was in the process of being bought out by the fed's. and less than a couple dozen people still lived in Picher in 2008 whenn the tornado came through and they were still there because the feds hadn't bought them out yet.

Joplin might still be a few decades away from ghost town, but it is not going to recover to pre-tornado status either.

with all due respect I don't know what kind of agenda you have now in regards to Joplin But it is pretty evident you have no clue what your talking about. When exactly was the last time you were in Joplin?

ETA: and Joplin's economy must be doing just fine if 250,000-300,000 people come to Joplin daily for work, to shop, or for entertainment each day. also most of the businesses along I-44 were untouched during the tornado. the only damage along I-44 was around exit 11 where the Flying J truckstop is.
edit on 4-6-2011 by Mercenary2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Mercenary2012

Wow

with all due respect I don't know what kind of agenda you have now in regards to Joplin But it is pretty evident you have no clue what your talking about.

Welcome back Merce.......Thats a very bold statement...........Interesting.........

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
nvm.. shes not worth the time.
edit on 4-6-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
reply to post by Cloudsinthesky

I coulkd honestly care less about your concerns now.

Now you sound just like FEMA, I guess thats what happens when you attempt to defend a government
agency that runs on RED TAPE, and is a waste of the taxpayers money.

You in defending FEMA, have become like them.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

I am amazed you make the accusation you have when you know so little about FEMA. Please, by all means, provide us with your facts about FEMA.

For you -
What is FEMA
How is it activated?
What is its purpose?
Who does it answer to?
What agencies does it represent?
Whats its operating budget?

Please provide specific examples of fraud and waste and corruption. You are leveling the accusations, please back them up with evidence and support your argument.

What do I do for a lviing? Wht is my experince and training? What type of agency do I work for? Have I ever been involved in emergency disaster response? What is my rank and position? How many people report to me? How do I report to? What type of background do I have with emegency preperations and planning? Who do I coordinate with?

When you are done answering these, since you seemt o know everything, feel free to share with us a little bit about yourself. Please let us know what type of experience you have when it comes to disaster coordination, law enforcement, emergency medical response.

otherwise, please sit down and shut the hell up. I am getting a bit tired of your constant atackls with absolutely nothing to support them. Put your expert reputation where your mouth is and do something other than bitch would you please?

IU will pint out now this is the SECONd request for you to provide your support for your accusations. Are you ignoring that request because you are wrong and cant admit to that, or are you refusing to provide it because you are lieing and cant support your accusations?

Provide us with specific issues about FEMA, how they are corrupt and not serving the people of Joplin. Please explain how their response to Joplin has been inefficient. Please explain how FEMAS response has injured any of the people or businesses in Joplin.

You attack FEMA, while ignoring the fact this topic is about Joplin. Please take your pointless trolling back to your propoganda thread.

Also, if your going to accuse me fo something, back it up. What part of me explaining how FEMa works is defending it? All I have done is point out your ignorant staements about the agency. Thats not me defending them, thats me correcting you.

so yeah.. still waiting on your specific issues and supporting documentation.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   

OMG! You HAVE to be kidding me!!!!! From your link:

Missouri Disaster Recovery Jobs Program

Workers who are unable to work due to the tornado that struck Joplin on May 22 can apply for temporary jobs to restore Joplin. The jobs will focus on clean-up and humanitarian efforts, such as clearing and removing debris. Under the Missouri Disaster Recovery Jobs Program, the first priority will be to employ workers who lost their job because of the tornado. Second priority will go to workers who are unemployed for other reasons. Job and safety training and equipment will be provided for each worker, in addition to vaccinations or other preventive medical procedures necessary to work in the disaster area.

What on EARTH would anyone who is working in Joplin be in need of VACCINES for to do clean up and removal?

That was just shocking to me, reminds me of how they dropped the ball in BP disaster by not offering the Vaccines to those workers who are now DYING...

WTH?

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Joplin is an older town with mining roots. In addition to that, you are going to have biological issues (in addition to people dieing, you had dismemberment, coupled with animals being killed / dismembered as well). You will have chemicals that when seperate are safe, now mixed with other compounds making them hazerdous.

You have standing pools of water, which become breeding grounds for bacteria etc. You have waste water and sewage treatment plants that were damaged. You have houses and businesses completely removed from the face of the earth, leaving exposed water ans waste pipes now flowing into each other, as well as all over the place.

You have a hospital destroyed, distributing medical waste all over the place, including needles, blood, etc etc etc.

You will have people get inured from being poked, sticked etc by sharp objects. You will come across human blood / skin etc from those who were injured during the tornado, or immediately afterwards. You have 200 mile an hour winds that picked up and distributed stuff all over the place. You have body parts in the morgue, which is to say not all of the body is present, which means there are pieces still out there.

You have businesses that dealt with communicable disease and tainted / contaminated blood etc, with that stuff now spread throughout the area. You have anuimals who survived who roam around, eating and rinking contaminated items, then making contact with humans.

Youhave old buildings that were leveled that contained asbestos, lead paint etc from back in the day when it was allowed.

Would it not be appropriate to prepare people for the worst? Must we wait for some type of disease or epidemic to hit and spread before taking action? I know certain people think this is some big conspiracy, but in reality its common sense.

Its an EF-5 tornado... not a strong wind. I really wish people would do a little research about these topics before going down some conspiracy theory road. This event is real, and actually occured. I know this is a hard concept for some to understand who post / bitch from the safety of their smoke filled garbage strewn computer rooms. At the very least people could exercise some initiative to find answers before posting bs.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   

its only a bold statement because its true. while comparing Picher OK to Joplin is like comparing apples and oranges. Getreadyalready left out the part that Picher was for the most part already abandoned before being hit by a tornado in 2008.

While Missouri might be number 1 on the list of states with a meth problem there are actually other counties in Missouri where the Meth problem is worse than it is in Jasper county. Like i said yes Jasper county has a meth problem but it is no where near as bad as he was trying to make it out to be.

And while i do agree with Getreadyalready that when him and myself attended Joplin public schools the district had a very poor record. but in the last 10-15 years they have managed to turn that record around and Joplin Schools are doing a lot better job. back when we attended schools in Joplin the graduation rate was under 50% Now it is closer to 80% and improves each year. Joplin Schools are also an A+ accredited District now, and they just don't give accreditations away to school districts.

Also his Info about the demographics for Joplin is completely wrong as i showed with the 2000 census data. I'm still looking for the 2010 data but I'm pretty sure it will also prove him wrong. Joplin's population has been growing and the population isn't old either. Evidence of Joplin's continued growth can be found on the west side of Joplin. That all use to be open fields and is now subdivisions. And can also be found in the fact that the city is in the process of buying land to build a 6th fire station to serve the expanding west side of town.

also his claim that all the businesses along I-44 was wiped out was completely false. they are all there! all the damage was North of 32nd st. and 32nd st is north of I-44 in Joplin. its not until you get east of joplin around exit 11 that 32nd st is south of I-44. and there aren't very many businesses where the tornado crossed I-44 at exit 11. and the biggest business damaged in the tornado in that area was the Flying J truck stop. Conway truckload is still there though they might have received some damage i haven't been by there yet.

Now if you saying my statement was bold because i accused him of having an agenda well agenda was a lot nicer word than i could have used.

I don't care if people have a different opinion than i do, but atleast get the facts right to support your opinion. Hell the link he provided to back up his Claim about Jasper counties meth Problem wasn't even for Jasper county It was for JEFFERSON County and didn't even mention Jasper county!

Again if he has credible links to back up his claims and prove me wrong about Joplin I would love to see them and if i'm wrong I'll admit it and apologize to him, But anyone that actually lives here in Joplin should know is info is wrong and he now sadly has some kind agenda against rebuilding joplin

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

most of the vaccinations they are doing is the DTaP vaccine which is pretty much Standard SOP in a natural disaster! With all the destroyed builds, People will be stepping on a lot of rusty nails, screws, getting cut by glass etc.

May i suggest that you don't over react and use a little common sense

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Ook again from your link:

What vaccines do I need before going back into the disaster area?
Clean-up and repair activities during and after a disaster present a greater risk of injuries that can lead to serious infection. One of the most serious infections is tetanus, also known as “Lock Jaw,” which can be deadly. Tetanus infection is preventable by vaccination.
You should get a booster dose of tetanus-diphtheria (Td) vaccine if you have not had a dose within the past 10 years.
You should also get a Td booster if you are unsure of the last time you received a Td shot.
Anyone who receives a deep cut or puncture wound during reentry and clean-up activities should seek immediate medical attention and ask about a Td booster.
Children and youth 11-18 years should receive the new pertussis-containing Tdap vaccine, rather than Td, if available.
For more information on immunizations, contact your health care provider or your local public health agency. You can also contact the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services, Bureau of Immunization Assessment and Assurance at 573-526-0238 or by email at [email protected].

What if I do not have my original vaccination records?
Consult your health care provider or your local public health agency. Health care providers should follow CDC’s September 2005 recommendations for persons who do not have their immunization records.
Children aged 10 years and younger should be treated as if they were up-to-date for their age and given any doses recommended for their current age and not received in the interim. This applies to all children except when they are not up-to-date on his/her immunizations.
Children and youth aged 11-18 years should receive recommended vaccines (Tdap, MCV, and influenza if indicated) if not already received.
Adults should receive Tdap, PPV, and influenza vaccines (if indicated).
In addition, any displaced person living in a crowded group setting should receive influenza, varicella, and MMR vaccines. However, anyone in this situation who has a weakened immune system (e.g., cancer or dialysis patient) should not receive the live virus vaccines MMR and varicella.

www.health.mo.gov...

So I see that they are pushing so much toxic junk on people who are already compromised by the disaster?

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   

I am one of those people who seriously consider the worst case failures in vaccine administrations. I understand that things like lock jaw can be avoided by a simple vaccine but seems to me they are pushing the envelope with many of the other ideas they have in mind here...

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

There is no vaccine for AIDS MERSA STAFF and any of the other things they will encounter including the current flu virus. Now TB and Hep B can be avoided with vaccines, but there is a limit to how many vaccines one can take at any given time without the chance of toxic overload.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

so you would rather people not get vaccinated and get sick or worse Die from helping in the clean up process.

Let me guess if they weren't offering the vaccines before hand you's be screaming "WHY DIDN'T THE VACCINATE THEM BEFORE HAND?!?!?!"

Seriously not everything that happens is a conspiracy, not everything a state does is a bad thing, and its good that they are offering the vaccines to people before hand. When was the last time you had a tetanus shot? Most people can't remember when they last time they had one. Or how about the adult MMR booster? when or if did you get yours? again most people don't remember when they got theirs if they got it at all!

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Well, first off, let's be abundantly clear......

I have no agenda, I have a deep-seeded love for Joplin, and Jasper county. My youngest son is named, Jasper for that very county where I grew up!! My first, and oldest son is named Jack, in honor of my grandfather, the solid-rock foundation of that community, and the minerals they mined there!

I was last in Joplin, on June 4, 2010 spent 4 days, and I was back for a full week before Christmas 2010. Took my wife to see the Christmas lights in Carthage, went to Precious Moments, and even went out by ol' Hornet, and got to see the Spooklight! Before that I was there at least every 4 months going back to 1999, and I lived there full-time from 1974 to 1999. I will be there the second week of August this year if you'd like to by me a beer.

My mother and father still live there, and so does my brother. My brother is a high school math teacher, my father is a consultant for 6 or 7 businesses in town. My ex-wife lives there, and we are still very close. Everything that makes me...me, is in Joplin, MO! I had 2 very close personal friends on that FEMA list of missing, and I know many, many others that were directly affected. The first home I ever bought was at 20th and Harlem and it is now gone, along with a very nice woman that lived just down the road. Pizza By Stout is the first place I eat every time I come into town, and all of my buddies would pile in there to see me. I used to own the Sinclair Station on the corner of 20th and Rangeline, directly across from the Home Depot! I ate at the IHOP on my way out of town this last Christmas. ALL OF THOSE THINGS ARE NOW GONE!!!

Now for the meat and potatoes of it.....

You said...

Also his Info about the demographics for Joplin is completely wrong as i showed with the 2000 census data. I'm still looking for the 2010 data but I'm pretty sure it will also prove him wrong.

I quoted census figures the same as you did,except mine did include the 2010 Census Numbers you were looking for!. Joplin is below the national average when it comes to growth in all areas, especially when it comes to the younger demographics. Joplin is above the national average in unemployment, and one of the lowest in the nation when it comes to average income.

Joplin does not have diverse employment opportunities. According to this source, over 50% of the jobs are management and sales. That means retail, not manufacturing. Retail and Service industries cannot survive alone, they need another base to....service.
Production and transportation combined only provided 17% of the employment, and the majority of that is the trucking industry. Those truckers are on the road, not in Joplin, and not necessarily even from Joplin, they just work for Joplin companies. That leaves about 20% of the population to try and make enough money to keep the 50% service related jobs in business. It is a recipe for disaster. Then, consider the fact that a big part of those 20% were professionals employed at St. Johns hospital, and the dire situation gets even more clear. From the same source, consider the average salary of a job in Joplin:

According to government data, the average salary for jobs in Joplin, Missouri is $24,617

Unemployment is above the national average (2009 numbers):

Joplin Unemployment Rate
Joplin has an unemployment rate of 7.8%, compared the national average of 5.8%.

***As for Meth.....***

I don't know a single person in Joplin that hasn't been affected by the Meth problem! One of my best high school buddies is currently in jail over meth, and he has lost his kids permanantly now. Two of my cousins have also been in and out of jail over it. When I visit now, I constantly see the telltale signs of bad teeth, gaunt look, sores on the skin. My parents watch the news at night, and it is a nightly subject. I already posted links showing Missouri to be the worst state in the country for Meth, and Jasper county to be the worst county in Missouri, but I will give you a few more if it helps.....

MIssouri's Meth addiction out of control.

You said...

While Missouri might be number 1 on the list of states with a meth problem there are actually other counties in Missouri where the Meth problem is worse than it is in Jasper county.

(And you were entirely wrong) because Law Enforcement says this....

Chief Roberts says Jasper County has been ranked the number one meth producing county in Missouri for the past 10 years. That is a statistic he plans on bringing down because of the danger meth labs pose to public safety.

Joplin City ordinance: Prescriptions for Cold Medicine?

Missouri the Meth State

Missouri needs Meth solution soon.

Now, as for who has Agendas..................

I am not one to call out a shill. I am not one to be overly skeptical of somebody's intentions with their posts. Clouds has some serious concerns with your intentions on this board, and it seems they are not unfounded. I can guarantee there is not a better expert on Joplin, Webb City, Carl Junction, Carthage, Neosho, Galena, or Riverton than me. As for you, you seem to just be a cheerleader for FEMA and the Joplin area. It is becoming clear that you have no real connection. If you had a connection, then you could be honest with yourself about the situation.

I am vested there. I love it there. I miss it there, and sadly, even when I visit these days, I still miss the old days when I believed that community was the best place in the entire world.

I have a very good friend here in Florida that I met by harshly disagreeing with him over the oil spill. We got together and worked it out. Clouds has offered you an invite several times, but you ignore him? I am now offering you an invite. Are your opinions bought and paid for, or do you have a real investment in that community? I have to say, that if you are being paid, then they are throwing away their money, because you are not very good at this. If your opinions are your own, then you need to get out and get some better information!
edit on 4-6-2011 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-6-2011 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Actually there is a vaccine for AIDS. If you are exposed and gaina ccess to the meds within the first 24 hours, you are pretty safe. We deal with that at times when officers sutain needle sticks while dealing with people.
Example - Zerit

There is also advancement with MRSA treatment / vaccine.
MRSA - January 2011

Staff infection vaccine

You are also looking at all ranges of hepatits...

Enviornmental hazards remain after Joplin tornado

Businesses destroyed, like walmart, homedepot, and gas stations contain many posionous/deadly checmiocals substance.
Hospital
House hold chemicals
A superfund site that was damaged near Joplin

Its a proactive approach in an effort to limit any further exposure to those who help out. Again its not any type of conspiracy. There is so much stuff spread around, its common sense to protect against as much as possible.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Ok then I stand kind of corrected, but the toxic cocktail cannot be denied.

I would not allow my teen son or ex husband to go work there if they would be required to take that poisonous mix.

I feel strongly about that and mark my words there will be a horrible back lash on this, I promise.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   

You are acting like an arrogant ass! Are you the only one who has the line on truth.
You are speaking as if you are the sole authority! Well you are not, other people have first hand knowledge
as well. I think you owe them at least some respect.

As far as your tacky remarks about "the nurse". I am also a nurse, and your asinine remarks about
Hippa along with your links was a slap in the face to all of us. So because your a law officer you are more
valuable to society in the face of a disaster than nurses! I don't think so pal! Without nurses do you
know how many more would have died.

As far as All hail Fema! Bull Sh!t! Yeah, they've done such a bang up job! What was the reason Clouds friend was denied? Oh that's right a Fema agency worker filled out her paper work wrong, and it was her fault!

Fema's got nothing to show for their good works. Take a look at their record.
Katrina, Joplin, and wow! They did so much for the people sickened in the Gulf! Where is Fema now?

Being led around by the nose by the Feds and Obama whom couldn't find his way out of a wet paper bag!

Why the attacks on Burntheships? Did she strike a nerve? Hit too close for comfort?

Please enlightened us to what Fema has done in Joplin?

Thanks,
Pax

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

The Patrol says Missouri had 1,980 “incidents’ in 2010. Tennessee finished second with 1,197. Kentucky had the third worst record, 1,045 busts.

Jefferson County had 228 meth lab seizures. Franklin County had 106 and Washington County had 103. In Southwest Missouri, Jasper County has 93 and Greene County had 79.

From your source which seems to contridict Chief Roberts. Joplin and Jasper county are not number 1 on the list.

Also the national average for unemployment is currently 9.1% Joplin's unemployment rate according to your source was 7.8% which is not above the national average.

Among the most common occupations in Joplin are Management, professional, and related occupations, 26%. Sales and office occupations, 26%. and Production, transportation, and material moving occupations, 17%. Approximately 78 percent of workers in Joplin, Missouri work for companies, 8 percent work for the government and 6 percent are self-employed.

again from one of your sources. looks prety diversified to me. Considering we started out as a small mining town back in the 1880's Joplin's economy is alot more diversified than say Carthage or Neosho which laid off half of their fire department and half their police force and also cut other city services. Yet again Joplin hasn't laid off any employees and has weathered this economic downturn better than a lot of other places.

Median age for the city of Joplin is 34.7 years old. not that old really

Household Income
Less than $10,000 13%
$10,000 to $14,999 10%
$15,000 to $24,999 18%
$25,000 to $34,999 16%
$35,000 to $49,999 18%
$50,000 to $74,999 16%
$75,000 to $99,999 4%
$100,000 to $149,999 3%
$150,000 to $199,999 1%
$200,000 or more 1%

Household income is spread relatively even for those making $15,000 and $74,999

do you want me to continue?

I'm using your sources and pretty much proving everything you said is wrong.

And a little advice I wouldn't listen to Clouds and his completely unfounded accusations about me or anyone else for that matter. I am hardly a cheerleader for FEMA but i have corrected some peoples misunderstandings on how FEMA works.

I Will not meet with anyone that acts as childish as clouds did in his U2U to me. Demanding that we meet just to prove to him that i actually live in Joplin. maybe when things settle daown and halfway return to normal I'll consider meeting with CLouds but right now, MY time is better served actually helping as many people as i can and making sure my family has food on the table and a roof over their head.

I only came in here today because my family begged me to take a day off and get some rest. I also Informed CLouds that i do not have multiple accounts here on ATS. and his proof to back up his accustion was that both accounts had exactly the same avatar and that i had said i lived in joplin for 30 years. I don't recall saying i lived here for 30 years but i did say i was a life long resident of Joplin!

Again I live here, I'm not letting my judgement on whats happening here be clouded by emotion unlike some. Now you can continue to keep wholeheartedly believing every little thing that CLouds tells you and you can continue to get a one sided view of what he sees but then your not getting the whole story. Myself and Xcath also live here and we are telling what we see, and the funny thing is our reports are very similar and more closely reflect whats happening in Joplin on a large scale compared to Clouds emotion filled reports.

And again it doesn't help when someone like yourself decides to inject false information into the story. I USED YOUR SOURCES AND COUNTERED JUST ABOUT EVERYTHING you CLAIMED! Again if anyone has an agenda here I'm sorry to say it is you!

And from what your knowledge that you have posted of the Joplin area I can count atleast 100 people that know this area better than you do.

But go ahead and think what ever you want about me, Bottom line is I ACTUALLY LIVE IN JOPLIN AND YOU ONLY COME TO VISIT FAMILY LATELY. I'm here i see whats happening every day before and after the tornado with my own eyes.

Are your opinions bought and paid for, or do you have a real investment in that community? I have to say, that if you are being paid, then they are throwing away their money, because you are not very good at this. If your opinions are your own, then you need to get out and get some better information!

typical response from most people on ATS when they have a very weak arguement and their claims have been torn to shreads with the actual facts.
edit on 4-6-2011 by Mercenary2012 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 36  37  38    40 >>

join