It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Think You're A Survivalist? You Ain't Got Jack On This Old Man...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
What sickens me is the impossibility of trying to do this today.
Just as another poster mentioned, without paying property taxes, you're screwed.
You can squat on someones land, but eventually there will be consequences.
So it goes without saying, "Is this even possible today?"

Every piece of land is either private or publicly owned and costly to someone.

Nothing is free anymore.
So how could one do it today without repercussions?
I imagine without some form of ID, you wouldn't survive long.
Pathetic but true.

Very cool story though.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Awesome, I'm gonna watch it tonight. I'm wondering though, how he dealt with the loneliness. I saw a documentary of young guy who went to survive for a week in the wilderness, and he said that the loneliness was killing. Although he had been informed by psychologists and other experts in surviving, he didnt think it would hit him that hard.

Loneliness is a huge enemy when surviving in the wild.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I remember seeing a special on him for a TV show once. It was quite inspiring. For any aspiring survivalists, I would recommend checking out the Man vs. Wild TV series, which is highly educational and entertaining. The presenter, Bear Grylls, has previous military service that he brings to the show. I would also recommend checking out any SAS Survival Handbook guides.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker
not gonna lie, this makes me so sad that someone who lived so freely isn't with us anymore.
that he won't get to see out his window on the lake...

He lived more than most of us ever will.. not sure that sad is a proper way to define how I feel about that, more like he should be celebrated or used as an example..

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by questforevidence
I remember seeing a special on him for a TV show once. It was quite inspiring. For any aspiring survivalists, I would recommend checking out the Man vs. Wild TV series, which is highly educational and entertaining. The presenter, Bear Grylls, has previous military service that he brings to the show. I would also recommend checking out any SAS Survival Handbook guides.

Bear is entertaining for sure but a lot of what you see is faked and of course pre-planned.. he's never really alone.. my vote goes to Les Stroud.. he's generally doing it for real, he is his own camera crew.. he will literally put a camera up at the bottom of a huge cliff just to film himself climbing up, then go back down.. get the rig and climb up a second time.. all to get the right shots for the show.. he's a bit less entertaining and dramatic than Bear, but it's a far more down to earth and realistic experience.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
I watched a special on PBS last year about him.
This man possessed amazing skills, actually doing
this very rough work alone & BY HAND! I really liked
the underground food storage. I encourage younger folks
to watch the entire series & you'll understand what real
hard work is all about.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by havok
What sickens me is the impossibility of trying to do this today.
Just as another poster mentioned, without paying property taxes, you're screwed.
You can squat on someones land, but eventually there will be consequences.
So it goes without saying, "Is this even possible today?"

Every piece of land is either private or publicly owned and costly to someone.

Nothing is free anymore.
So how could one do it today without repercussions?
I imagine without some form of ID, you wouldn't survive long.
Pathetic but true.

Very cool story though.

Wrong..there is free land in Alaska and it is yours for the taking but you need to live there for like 2 years and build a livable structure on it....you also get $$ to stay in Alaska year round...use that for the taxes...last time I talked to a friend of mine living there....he married a girl from the lower 48 and moved her up there...he got like $5600. for being there year round.
Use that money to pay for the taxes....it can be done but to many people think that they can do it or talk out there ass and they wouldn't make it alone for very long up in the alaskan wilderness.....I am actually looking into this for me, but I need a woman to withstand the cold winters and nights...it takes someone with intestinal fortitude to make it up there.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mdv2
Awesome, I'm gonna watch it tonight. I'm wondering though, how he dealt with the loneliness. I saw a documentary of young guy who went to survive for a week in the wilderness, and he said that the loneliness was killing. Although he had been informed by psychologists and other experts in surviving, he didnt think it would hit him that hard.

Loneliness is a huge enemy when surviving in the wild.

He longed for visits from the pilot and wanted girls from the mission to come up and see him, he had a visitor every few weeks...for brief stays and even sometimes overnight...read the book...its way better than the great video.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
I read the book and saw the movie. Both were outstanding. The book does delve into more detail on his daily activities. One of the things that impressed me is his humble, yet confident get-it-done attitude.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by saltdog

Alaska's homesteading program ended years ago.

Now you have to buy or be a local and hope to win the claim lottery but then you're subjected to all sorts of usage restrictions and after a period of time expected to either give up the claim for another local or start paying for it. dnr.alaska.gov...

You're right that they do pay every resident of the state. It's part of the oil pipeline deal.

Also, keep in mind that Alaska's growing season is like 5 minutes out of the year

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I read about it from a friend of mine from work that was stationed up there for several years...that was at the end of last year.
The program was still in effect but with several things...stipulations...like the type of structure and amout of time you had to live there and other things with utilities for the homestead.
I will have to get the linkfrom him again and send it to you...

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Awesome, will be watching the full version in about 15 minutes

Thanks OP, S&F

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   
seriously living most of his entire life without the comfort of a woman?

FORGET THAT NONSENSE

whats the point of anything ?

say it aint so.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
The detail he goes so deep into is just amazing. My personal hero.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by MudAit

Is the name of the book "One Man's Wilderness: An Alaskan Odyssey" ?

I just found that title on amazon-but is there a longer version I wonder,as this is only 224pages.

I want to read it anyhow.

There are still plenty of places around the globe where this could be done,although I never knew that you could get paid to build and live in Alaska,that sounds cool,but tough.

You could do this in parts of Africa,SE Asia etc,but there would be many negatives over there such as water bourne diseases/malaria/humidity etc..
We actually had a member of ATS head off to the Himalayas a few years back,with a posse of friends and relatives,to live off the grid survival style.Thats a tough environment..
He was called D4rk Kn1ght-anyone remember him?
Still there as far as I know,and good luck to the guy,he was cool IMO.

edit on 25/5/2011 by Silcone Synapse because: sp and extra words added

top topics

<< 1   >>

join