It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Think You're A Survivalist? You Ain't Got Jack On This Old Man...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
In my search I noticed this man hasn't been brought up on this site for a couple years (that I saw), so I thought I'd circulate this again... I saw the 1 hour GPB special a few years ago but it's on right now..

This man is just straight bad ass...

Richard Louis "Dick" Proenneke (May 4, 1916–April 20, 2003) was a naturalist who lived alone in the high mountains of Alaska at a place called Twin Lakes. Living in a log cabin he constructed by hand, Proenneke made valuable recordings of both meteorological and natural data

He returned to the lakes in the following spring and remained there for most of the next 30 years, going to the lower 48 only occasionally to be with his family. He made a film record of his solitary life, which was later recut and made into a documentary.

This guy made recordings of his time alone for 30 years , so there's a lot of clips scattered around youtube and what not if you're interested in seeing more..

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
not gonna lie, this makes me so sad that someone who lived so freely isn't with us anymore.
that he won't get to see out his window on the lake...

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by rstregooski

Must be such a peaceful experience. I wonder though, how many UFOs did he see while being out in the wilderness so long?

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
There ya go young'uns...don't discount us old fogies just yet! We still have a lot of tricks up our sleeves.

My favorite quote:

"Young Men try to go where Old Men have already been."

My favorite joke:

An old bull and a young bull sitting on a hill looking down at a herd of gorgeous cows.

Young Bull:

"Hey old bull! Let's RUN down there and have sex with one of them cows!"

Old Bull:

"Why not just WALK down and have sex with all of 'em?"

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Clisen33

That's kind of an odd thought, but yeah, I suppose it makes sense... imagine all the stars he could see at night.

I admit, I want to get that full documentary. I really got into it.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth

That's kind of an odd thought, but yeah, I suppose it makes sense... imagine all the stars he could see at night.

It's on thepiratebay if you want.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

Yea..so did I..

I think i will buy it..

Thanks op for the thread..

way cool..

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

I actually just happened upon it on a site where I can watch free online with out downloading. It's in two parts though.

If anyone is interested send me a U2U. It's from a site I have been using for a long time and I trust. I will be glad to give you the link.

That said, I was just impressed with how he knew how to build all those tools and handles and the log cabin. How many people do you know that can do that anymore? Very impressive.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

perfect!

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Thanks OP.

This guy is my new personal hero.

Seems like he had it all figured out...

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   
A lesson and reminder that it can be done.
Very inspirational and moving.

I saw this a while back on PBS or something.
Had me glued to the TV.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

Yea, the fact that he was knowledgeable in all those areas, as well as recording/editing equipment... Pretty bad ass.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   
This is so soothing and hypnotic to watch. You almost can't turn away.
I sat and watched in AWE the first time I saw it.
Thanks for sharing maybe someone new will be introduced.
edit on 22-5-2011 by TheBirdisDone because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBirdisDone

Thanks for sharing maybe someone new will be introduced.
edit on 22-5-2011 by TheBirdisDone because: (no reason given)

Yea, that's pretty much what I was going for...

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Yes its a good video...I have seen it a dozen times and bought the book....what the video doesn't tell you is that even he was resupplied every few weeks from his buddy, the pilot that took him out there. He was amazing at his ability to thrive out there, but he was resupplied with food, mail, concrete, roofing material, and many other things.... and after the first winter there, he want back to port ainsworth and stayed for the winter months after the first year.
The book is way better than the video....get it read it...its great.

I am just informing you all that there is more info about him them the video, thus making it seem like he was completely alone and not resupplied...well read the book.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by saltdog
Yes its a good video...I have seen it a dozen times and bought the book....what the video doesn't tell you is that even he was resupplied every few weeks from his buddy, the pilot that took him out there. He was amazing at his ability to thrive out there, but he was resupplied with food, mail, concrete, roofing material, and many other things.... and after the first winter there, he want back to port ainsworth and stayed for the winter months after the first year.
The book is way better than the video....get it read it...its great.

I am just informing you all that there is more info about him them the video, thus making it seem like he was completely alone and not resupplied...well read the book.

What a lesson in survival and your post made me interested to get and read the book.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth

They show it on PBS from time to time..usually at night though...it is a great show! That man was amazing!

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
He was lucky.

Lucky in that his buddy paid the taxes on his property and allowed Richard to use it.

Had his friend not been so generous ol Dick there would have been hauled off by various government goons and locked up.

His feats are admirable today yet once ordinary and typical of a time not so long passed.

Virtually any half competent person alive could live the same way he lived if we were so fortunate to find a landowner willing to pay the extortion fees to Uncle Sam for us.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
What a guy,I remember watching this film a while back,and I thought the guy really had some steel.

Recently another(younger)guy tried a similar experiment,but he didn't build a cabin and after maybe 10 weeks or so he fell into despair,and was on the verge of going a bit mad-it was the total lack of human contact and his poor hunting skills that got to him,along with wolves/bears that he would hear at night trying to sniff him out.
He only had a tent and very limited kit,so I guess it was quite scary for him.

It provides quite a contrast to Dick Proenneke's experiences.
Its a 3 part series called "alone in the wild",and is on youtube:

www.youtube.com...//www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3D63ZwpPsvMpw

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Awesome dude, What an awesome dude
ive always wondered how it would be to go back to basics, day to day is about survival, not about pointless appointments and*thing to do* which arent actaully important in the slightest.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join