It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another Apache down!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2003 @ 04:25 PM
link   
www.sky.com...

Apache is a sound peice of machinery engeneared to last and last but i can't help but ask
WHAT KIND OF SICK TWISTED PILOTS FLY THOSE THINGS?

I am an aviation expert and to shoot down this chopper with prehistoric tools means only one thing - pilots felony.

I saw the crew of the first one that got shot down few days ago.

Pussies. EPSECIALLY the one on the left.
Probably hoovered above dozen of iraqis with RPGs while pilots drunk tea.

On the other hand its still uncomfirmed, could be the same 1

Good report

www.estripes.com...

"The sound of the rounds hitting the aircraft is something Ill never forget, Snyder said. You can feel it in your feet.

LOL

I didnt know that AKs could leave "bullet holes" in "stinger proof" helicopter.

[Edited on 27-3-2003 by Papa Karlo]

posted on Mar, 27 2003 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Thats probably the dumbest post I've ever read. How could you dare to call these guys pussies? They're sitting in some Iraqi jail as POW's, would you trade places with them? Did you read the part where it says it was probably footage of the same apache that went down monday or could you just not wait to post it. I dont know if it is or not, the media has been distorting everything, but to call those pilots pussies is just plain ignorant. Why dont you go over there and put your life on the line?

posted on Mar, 27 2003 @ 04:36 PM
link   
I got to admit that apache is inferior when it comes to deal with ground troops.

Hind, mi24 on the other hand CAN sustain AK fire, its twice as fast as apache and it locks on , YES, locks on human targets with its 12.7 machine gun.

posted on Mar, 27 2003 @ 04:49 PM
link   
now thats a helicopter

wtf?? i cant post pictures??

[Edited on 27-3-2003 by $tranger]

posted on Mar, 27 2003 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Now i think its the same one

Identical weapon load

posted on Mar, 27 2003 @ 05:33 PM
link   
You are an aviation expert?
What is an "aviation expert", does that mean you are a pilot? An engineer (certainly not, engineers know how to spell that word)? Read a book about helicopters?

Stinger proof helicopter? You are no expert on aircraft, so I assume when you said you are an "aviation expert" you mean you get high alot? Ever heard of mechanical failures? We almost had a technician killed yesterday by a catastrophic failure of the tail strut on a Seahawk - things happen from time to time since nothing manmade is perfect. Would you mind telling me where I could see the damage from the peasants' rifle fire?

As far as calling the POW pilots names and assuming you know why the A/C hard landed, do you always run off at the mouth with little to know facts or are you just having a lousy day?
Also, there are ladies who contribute to this board, watch your mouth. Would you use the gutter word for a part of your mother's anatomy in her presence? She respect to the members here.

[Edited on 27-3-2003 by Thomas Crowne]

posted on Mar, 27 2003 @ 05:38 PM
link   
No i actually flown hind, thats how i know its twice as fast. And yeah i guess that makes me an expert, sort off

More of an expert than you thats for sure....

posted on Mar, 27 2003 @ 05:49 PM
link   
You kinow "hind" is faster because you allegedly flew in one? And that makes you an expert.
Oookay.

I personally drive a Ford Taurus, and that being the case I am a auto expert and can tell you that a Ford is faster than Dodge Viper.

What is the max speed for the two A/C?

posted on Mar, 27 2003 @ 05:54 PM
link   
The Apache isn't a stinger proof helicopter. It's a cheaply made 80s peice of junk that's only going attribute is the fact that you can release the rotors if crashing, and thus not die (necissarily).

Sniper fire can kill the piolets, and it has altitude problems though yes it can fly backwards.

The helicopter is not a forward assault craft, it is to be a stealth craft, hiding behind terrain bobbing up to lay death from afar and then to run.

To further the problems, they are in the deserts, the worst condition for any helicopter, as dust is easily sucked into the intakes and clogs them. The Apache especially, being a helicopter that is to be flown more or less around or below 100 feet, is going to have real problems with all these dust storms over there at the moment.

posted on Mar, 27 2003 @ 06:01 PM
link   

To further the problems, they are in the deserts, the worst condition for any helicopter,moment.

exept the ka 50 ka-52 and mi-28 they are all weather helicopters.

posted on Mar, 27 2003 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Not so much clogs but erodes and destroys. Ever seen the turbine blades when they come back from the desert over there? Whew! The Iraqi dust is absolute Hades on them!

Still, the -64 isn't junk by any means, especially compared to a Hind, LOL!

Armed with the Hellfire, 2.75 rockets and a 30mm chaingun, cruise speed of around 148 knots and a max climb rate of around 2,500 or 2,600 feet per minute, I wouldn't call it too awfully shabby.
While not stinger-proof, of course, it is very resistant to small arms fire.

posted on Mar, 27 2003 @ 06:19 PM
link   

of course, it is very resistant to small arms fire.

like ak-47? or it was a garant rifle?

posted on Mar, 27 2003 @ 06:50 PM
link   
TC, as weapons the Apache is EXCELLENT, best in the world. They can pair up to wreak death upon many.

But as machines they are in my opinion junk. Of couse compared to many thing they are machines of the gods, but we could have done WAY better. They are lightly built for obvious reasons.

They aren't made like the M1A1s, which only 30% of them have ANY chemical "bubbles" in the paint. These bubbles are on the molecular scale, that's DAMN EFFICIENT, made in Ohio heh

posted on Mar, 27 2003 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by 5POF
best in the world.

that would be ka-50 ka-52 and mi-28.

posted on Mar, 27 2003 @ 07:16 PM
link   
LOL!! Yes, $tranger, we hear you!

Many have wondered why they didn't just use the -60 and make some AH-60's. Lat year or so we did just that, making some for the Columbian Army. As a mater of fact, I was just told the bugs are worked out of the targeting system now and the system is working just as the Columbian Army expected. They'll even fire in among their own troops in close combat because the system is that good.
$tranger, the targeting is an Elbit design. Thought you'd be interested in that. Met several of the technicians that came over from Israel. Very good bunch of people.

posted on Mar, 28 2003 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by 5POF
The Apache isn't a stinger proof helicopter. It's a cheaply made 80s peice of junk that's only going attribute is the fact that you can release the rotors if crashing, and thus not die (necissarily).

Sniper fire can kill the piolets, and it has altitude problems though yes it can fly backwards.

The helicopter is not a forward assault craft, it is to be a stealth craft, hiding behind terrain bobbing up to lay death from afar and then to run.

To further the problems, they are in the deserts, the worst condition for any helicopter, as dust is easily sucked into the intakes and clogs them. The Apache especially, being a helicopter that is to be flown more or less around or below 100 feet, is going to have real problems with all these dust storms over there at the moment.

Ahhh wise words.

Well apache does have a good stinger fire survival chance. You can fire one at it and it wont do a thing. Well maybe damage hydrolics or air radar bah

I could pick it out with a proper rifle. In baghdad i would use my speed. I would set hydra rocket turrets on a 10* angle and fire them at full speed flying at 150 miles iraqies wouldnt hit me with all AAAs they got.

posted on Mar, 28 2003 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by BeLLaTrIx
Sounds like you are planning a terror attack?

Watch your mouth fool.
I'm not planning anything. Illuminati do not exist, it's just a bed time story

posted on Mar, 28 2003 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Papa Karlo...

If you have ever flown an Mi24 Hind, you probably know the one, easily exploited weakness that they have? The way that the "stone age" Mujahedeen routinely took them out o fthe air in Afghanistan? The same way that the Apache was likely taken down? The very same weakness that every helicopter flying has?

The tail rotor.

In Afghanistan, the Mujahedeen would routinely shoot a Hind (flying tank) out of the sky with an old German WWII Mauser rifle... all you needed was a very long, heavy, soft lead bullet. On impact with the tail rotor, the bullet would not do any actual structural damage at all... however it would flatten and "splatter" across the tail rotor, severly affecting its balance... the tail rotor would then slam into the tail boom, breaking at least one blade... without a tail rotor, the chopper crew now has at most 30 seconds to autorotate to a landing.

PK, for someone who apparently has never come under hostile fire well away from friendly forces.... to call these pilots "pussies" indicates your obvious infantile disposition.

new topics

top topics

join