It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christians, when will you move a mountain?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
A Mountain...a seemingly immovable object that confines us.

In faith we can move past these seemly impossible barricades. With help and faith in god we are able to move past, make the seemingly immovable object seem like a speed bump through the power of God. You need faith to see that concoring a mountain is far easier than placing it from here it from her.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard

In faith we can move past these seemly impossible barricades. With help and faith in god we are able to move past, make the seemingly immovable object seem like a speed bump through the power of God. You need faith to see that concoring a mountain is far easier than placing it from here it from her.

Finally someone understands!!

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 06:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
Within the Bible it is claimed that Christians are able to do all sorts of extraordinary things. They seem to be superhuman if these claims are right:

Matthew 17:20

And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.

Well obviously, noone with the faith of a grain of mustard, has moved any mountains, metaphorical or otherwise.

Of course there is a mountain range in africa(I think) which appears to be out of place, in relation to the rock formations underneath. I heard it said that a man moved it be telling it.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard

Faith per se has undoubtly some strong intrinsic possibilities, leading to extraordinary manifestations. No matter what faith (if ever) will be explained to be.

But such manifestations are not the exclusive property of any specific faith, relating to any specific 'god'. Actually extraordinary manifestations can happen from a basis of semi-religion (not acknowledging the trans-cosmic 'reality' of any 'god') or completely without any faith at all.

My own extra-ordinary example of reiki-healing a terminal cancer is valid, as neither I nor my client incorporated faith etc. in my 'treatment'.

I bring in 'manifestations', because 'manifestations' are the part of existence, where common communication is possible. And the whole basis/idea/method of common communication lies in its ability to arrive at uniform conclusions, when this is possible (that is inside a defined map/territory context).

So in the scope of cosmic observations and their interpretations the objective procedure has shown excellence, far above competing systems. Gravity is always there, and mountains don't move through the use of anomalous abilities.

What most theists have problems with, is to refer faith to the subjective area, where there are 50.000 different faiths, religions or denominations and 3.500 different 'gods'. And there's no harm in that, as long as subjectivity is accepted as being the proper perspective of faith.

In some theists there is an almost obsessional need to transfer faith into the objective sphere, making their specific faith/religion/'god' into an absolute (or in the milder cases just a deity concept) and this interferes with the objective life outside theism.

Academically will a search for objective knowledge be hampered by faith.

And socially can theism claiming objectivity soon turn into ideological fascism with elitist aspirations.

It's all very well, if you can move mountains inside your heads. Keep it there, and don't trespass into the collective area of objectivity, where you often guys create more problems than benefits. The subjective benefits are up to the individual to decide.

Faith don't move mountains in the objective part of existence. Period.
edit on 30-5-2011 by bogomil because: typo

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   
I think that moving a mountain implies a seeminly impossible task.
The mountain that is blocking the way is yourself.
It is the imagined self with resistance that makes the mountain.
When the resistant self is no more, the mountain moves.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Itisnowagain
I think that moving a mountain implies a seeminly impossible task.
The mountain that is blocking the way is yourself.
It is the imagined self with resistance that makes the mountain.
When the resistant self is no more, the mountain moves.

I'm not on principle against allegories, they have their use. But with the unavoidable element of individual creation and interpretation in them, they fall in the category of subjectivism.

I must add, that I do not have a personal value-hierarchy between objective and subjective. It's just names for two different sets of relating to different aspects of existence. The knack is to not mixing/confusing them.
edit on 30-5-2011 by bogomil because: clarification through one extra word

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Itisnowagain

And yet this interpretation makes no sense in the context of the story...Jesus does something physically impossible and then tells his astonished believers that they will be able to do more impossible things....hm...no, not allegorical there.

<< 1  2   >>

join