It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asian Stinkbugs From Hell Ruining US Crops

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
I would say, bring in the wasp. Stop using insecticide chemicals. We don't want more chemicals in our bodies. It's not new using the Wasp in place of insecticide. Using what already exist is more natural to nature.

'Bug from hell' spreading after surviving the winter
Asian invader affecting crops in 33 states

Brown stink bugs are causing millions of dollars in crop damage, with the apple industry being hit the hardest.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

The bug, a three-quarter-inch invader native to Asia, has a huge appetite and has no domestic natural predators.

Aside from apples, the bug, named for the foul smell it gives off when crushed, will feed on nearly anything, including cherries, tomatoes, grapes, lima beans, soybeans, green peppers and peaches

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I agree something needs to be done about stink bugs...

BUT... What is going to kill the wasps when they over run us like the stink bugs are? Just like with almost everything these days... The solution is usually another bigger problem... You get into an endless cycle...

Look at "legal" drugs... You take drug A for heartburn, then you need drug B and C to counteract the side effects of drug A, then drug D, E, F, G for the side effects of A, B, and C...

its just an endless cycle, Most solutions will become the new problem(s)

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by morder1
I agree something needs to be done about stink bugs...

BUT... What is going to kill the wasps when they over run us like the stink bugs are? Just like with almost everything these days... The solution is usually another bigger problem... You get into an endless cycle...

Look at "legal" drugs... You take drug A for heartburn, then you need drug B and C to counteract the side effects of drug A, then drug D, E, F, G for the side effects of A, B, and C...

its just an endless cycle, Most solutions will become the new problem(s)

Wasp are bird food

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by MIDNIGHTSUN

Exactly! Wasps kill the stink bugs and birds kill wasps. To compare a human-manufactured drug to mother nature is ludicris.We humans in turn kill the birds. My grandfather says when he was a boy in the 1920's, flocks of birds so big would fly over, that the sun was blocked out for a few minutes.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by freedom12

Right... but like you said... we have been killing the birds off... so once their gone, and were left with wasp infestation, then what...

The drugs were just 1 example of solution = new problem... would you like more examples?

Low flow toilets - sure it sounds nice, but when you need to flush 5-10 times... then why bother with it?

Ethanol - Sounds good, make fuel from renewable source... But the fact you need to spend more fossil fuel energy to make it, than you get out of the ethanol is madness...

Nuclear power - "Clean Energy!!" - Until natural disaster hits it, then BOOM 1000x bigger problem

Clothianidin - Insecticide which isnt supposed to kill bees, but it does... - Clothianidin’s major risk concern is to nontarget insects (that is, honey bees).

Like I said... We do need to get rid of the stink bugs but need to think more than 1 step down the road... and think about when/how the solution could become the problem after the stink bugs are gone

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Where I live at in PA, stink bugs are a huge nuisance. They have overridden many peoples homes. It has gotten to the point where most have given up and just accept them as a part of life. People have stopped calling exterminators because they come back as fast as you kill them. There was a penn state study that said they had started breeding up to three times per year because they like the climate so much here. Below is a link to there study.

ento.psu.edu...

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
BUY ORGANIC! everyone should have that choice at their supermarket, where ever they buy veggies
or grow your own veggies, thanks for posting.
edit on 5/22/2011 by indigothefish because: (no reason given)

top topics

join