It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Busts Woman Selling $1.7M 'Moon Rock'

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   

NASA Busts Woman Selling $1.7M 'Moon Rock'

weirdnews.aol.com

A woman who tried to sell what she said was a rare piece of moon rock for $1.7 million was detained when her would-be buyer turned out to be an undercover NASA agent, officials said Friday.

The gray rocks, which are considered national treasures and are illegal to sell, were given to each U.S. state and 136 countries by then-President Richard Nixon after U.S. moon missions and can sell for millions of dollars on the black market.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
news.yahoo.com
kpsllocal2.com
edit on 22-5-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
I wish they would have released a picture of this rock! Why the secrecy?

Sure the supply of moon rocks is extremely limited, well that is unless you are on the moon.

As far as I know...NASA is still looking for the missing Lunar 12 rock.

Sheriff's Sgt. Todd Pauling said he had little information about the case and referred questions to NASA.
Pauling said that assisting with a NASA investigation was a first for him.

"It was kind of like an episode of the X-Files," he joked.

"They literally swooped in there ... and then they left."
www.pe.com...

And ...now you know how to get the attention of NASA rather quickly.

NASA is not telling much about how they discovered the lunar rock for sale... although they had
been working the case for months.

The woman may be charged; depending on whether the rock is confirmed to be "lunar material"; with theft of a national treasure, or fraud. One well known previous incident ended in court: United States v. One Lucite Ball Containing Lunar Material.

Substances the rock could contain if its genuine?
One; Armalcolite, a mineral first discovered on the moon and named for Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin and Michael Collins.

So what is NASA doing, just routine protection of a National Treasure, or do they keep and eye out
for wayward moon rocks that other nations might have brought back?

Hmmmm.....

weirdnews.aol.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
I still question if we did or did not even go to the moon. People that is, we may......and I say may....as in maybe have sent a unman ship there to collect dust and a rock, but people? I still don't think we did.

And so what if she took a rock ? I have lots of rocks in my back yard, and no one is yelling at me.

People have put vaule on things that mean nothing in the light of it all.

A rock from the moon ? $1.7 million? and how is this going to feed me ?

David Dee

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
My first questions would be where did she get it and should not any entity that has one have an accountability process in motion? Especially if there national treasures.

+2 more 
posted on May, 22 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
An undercover NASA agent? NASA is a civilian run operation, while still under government control. Who gives them authority to have undercover agents and perform "stings"?

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by daviddee

Well for you conspiracy theorists our there who doubt we went to the moon...

Consider the humble moon rock.

Typically, the life of NASA terrestrial moon rocks is dull.
NASA houses its precious moon rocks inside the inner sanctum of Building 31 North.
31 North is a university-like structure formed by blocks and filled with sterile white walls, and the hall way enroute to the inner sanctum is decorated by picture shrines to missions past.

Moon rocks are stored in a chamber devoid of oxygen to prevent them from rotting due to oxidation.

Kind of an elaborate scheme to keep up if they are not real...

Just a thought....

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Helious

From the looks of things there were a slew of undercover agents working on this.

NASA agents notified the Riverside County Sheriff's Department this week that they had been investigating the potential illegal sale of a moon rock for several months and planned a sting operation, a sheriff's news release said.

www.pe.com...

There has to be more to the story than we are being told here IMO.

After some conversation with the woman, NASA agents and sheriff's deputies closed in on the restaurant, taking the woman and the rock into custody.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Helious

NASA was put under the military several years ago. I still don't understand how it is that so many people missed it. It wasn't exactly hidden.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
when i was a kid on nellis afb i knocked a jar of moon dust off the top of a book shelf at there libray playing around im glad they didnt charge my parents like 1/2 million for the clean up

edit on 22-5-2011 by pez1975 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
now that i think about it i may be one of the few people in the world that has ever touched moon dust i can tell u it feels like baby powder

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
If someone is not "missing" a moonrock then I would say that she "found" it and it is hers to do with as she pleases. Are the people in possession of these rocks not aware of where they left them? I do hope they didn't let the kids play with them in the backyard.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by pez1975

Thats interesting, I wonder if it had decomposed from exposure to oxygen?
Baby powder ....hmmmm.

Here, I am linking this...NASA says it has a strange smell.
science.nasa.gov...

Do you remember what it smelled like?

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   
i was like 9 years old at the time so i didnt understand the significants of the situation or maybe i would have inspected it more lol i was to busy trying to get it piled up and back in the broken jar lmao

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   
so is it not possible that if rocks could make it to earth from mars, they could make it to earth from the moon?????

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by pez1975
now that i think about it i may be one of the few people in the world that has ever touched moon dust i can tell u it feels like baby powder

Actually, I have. I'm trying to remember where. I'm pretty sure it was in elementary school in science class. It was a tour of some sort through Canadian schools.

And yeah, it was similar to baby powder. Very very fine sand.

It really wasn't all that awesome. I remember thinking that the Moon really wasn't all that impressive, like a really nasty desert.

Big Rocks without the possibility of life on them don't really jive me.

edit to add: This might make more sense if you know that, not the whole class got to touch. I usually ended up being in the small group of kids who got picked to do the "extra" thing in a special class. Blow stuff up, light things on fire, go to a sponsored trip for science or social studies things.
edit on 2011/5/22 by Aeons because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

i dont remeber if it had a smell the libraryain was not pleased to say the least and i got 2 weeks of detentions and a call to my dad and he wore me out i remeber the spanking the most

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by pez1975

Ah, yes I would have been traumatized also, darn they had to get upset about an accident?

January 30, 2006: Moondust. "I wish I could send you some," says Apollo 17 astronaut Gene Cernan. Just a thimbleful scooped fresh off the lunar surface. "It's amazing stuff."

Feel it—it's soft like snow, yet strangely abrasive.

Taste it—"not half bad," according to Apollo 16 astronaut John Young.

Sniff it—"it smells like spent gunpowder," says Cernan.

How do you sniff moondust? science.nasa.gov...

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
There are a lot of holes in the governments claims here...

Saying all the moon rocks are national treasures, but they gave a lot of them to other countries as gifts...

Many of these other countries may have sold some of moon materials making them free and clear of any rules..

The way NASA tells it, there is a global moratorium on moon material enforced by NASA ? sheesh what a laugh..

sf

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
well i was climbing up the front of the book case like a ladder at the time so not really to much of an accident

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
i wonder if any one else went to school at nellis afb's lomie heard elementry that post on this forum

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join