It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where are the Nomadic/Essenic/Amish/Poor lifestyles in the 21st century?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   
mods: maybe this needs to go into society board)

I keep hearing about super lifestyles of the rich and famous and hear nothing about those who are poor.

Just to inform. Essenes were a group of individuals who had a spiritual/religious calling to leave the city in order to make homes and living conditions in the desert of the middle east around 200 BC.
Further study
btw: Essenes are a group of Jewish individuals that still become debated if they existed or not. records indicate that they probably did, but some still refute
en.wikipedia.org...

I am trying to compare with all the doom and gloom threads that usually when this happens and history repeats itself a group of people begin leaving our normal society in order to live in simpler living conditions such as the amish.

The only thing similar to this would be the fact of TENT CITIES. where a community try to cooperate with each other in order to live in harmony. From what I've heard on the news, this is obviously illegal and becomes shut down in many cases.

Where are the people who move from place to place? I find this really intresting because we have all seen lately a disstablized society that is becoming even more angry with what our government is forcing them to do.

Our anger now becomes focused towards the internet where nothing really happens.
We sit and complain and we still do not make a move. No protest. No 1960 spirit.

In order for anyone to "stick it to the man" would be to leave the norms of their society, create likeminded individuals who seek peace and justice, and further fight the power with peaceful protest towards their government.

-Equality
edit on 22-5-2011 by Jordan River because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Bump

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Jordan River

Interesting thread.

Gypsies still practice their nomadic lifestyle in parts of Europe and the States, but they are truly underground.

They exsit off of the underbelly of society and little to nothing is spoken of them.

The movie "Snatch" by Guy Ritchie portrays the gypsy lifestyle as a subplot.

I watched a documentary about them 5 years ago in an anthropology class and put forth the idea that they were the evolutionary vestiges of hunter gatherers slowly being extinguished through genetic drift.

S & F.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Are you familiar with the Rainbow Family, a traveling, semi-nomadic tribe of tens of thousands around the world?

en.wikipedia.org...

(Also, I second the motion that this does not belong in 'conspiracies' since no conspiracy is presented.)

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
No, this is a general conspiracy....think about it, why does no western culture allow it's people to live in harmony with nature/god? In China(and most of asia for that matter), anyone can leave behind city life and go live in the mountains. You can't do that here...or you can till you get found. The american indians would fit the description pre-reservation as well. We know how that worked out.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by LordBaskettIV
No, this is a general conspiracy....think about it, why does no western culture allow it's people to live in harmony with nature/god? In China(and most of asia for that matter), anyone can leave behind city life and go live in the mountains. You can't do that here...or you can till you get found.

What makes you think you can do that in "China'?

I agree that modern society has essentially destroyed nomadic culture. Nomadic culture is a threat to 'modern life' and all the infrastructure and profit that comes with it. Many have argued that's what the inception of the modern state of Israel id to the nomadic people's who had been living there previous, for one example out of many. To imply it is strictly within the US is incorrect.

That said, as I have noted in my initial post, quasi-nomadic communities DO exist, and there are still lots of wild places to escape to. But you might have to put the laptop down.

As far as your first statement, I was only seconding the OP's first line : "mods: maybe this needs to go into society board) "

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
this is a topic that gets little attention. I sappose no one really cares about poor lifestyle and awaits for the ipad 7

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   

This is a conspiracy. It is a conspiracy to take people away from one lifestyle and place them into another lifestyle that makes them completely dependent upon corporations and technology.
It was only 100 years ago that families lived off of the bounty of the land, but that has changed.

Large agri-corporations such as Monsanto and Con-Agra run the show now.
And that is because our Federal Government is a large corporation.
And corporations have one goal. Make money for their share holders.
In fact, they are mandated BY LAW to make the most money for their share holders depite any moral or ethical concerns.
That is why these corporations are LLC's.

LIMITED LIABILITY CORPORATIONS.

Mussolini called it corporatism, also known as fascism.

Of course people do not want to discuss this, because one must come face to face with our dependence upon a small group of mercantilists/elitists who do not have humanity's best interest in mind.
Only the bottom line. PROFIT.

This does not need to be moved.
General Conspiracies is where it belongs.

I think that people are so blinded by their own limitations that the conspiritorial side of this thread is hard to notice.

Kind of like a fish realizing that it is in water.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
just thought i'd mention one thing...

Amish people are anything but poor, actually its quite the opposite.

Just so you know...

I know this is off topic ...my bad

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Josephus23

wow. It's like you didnt even read the op and are just trying to make this thread into your own topic.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by incrediblelousminds

I suppose that you didn't like my post, and that is your perogative.

You want the thread moved; however, I think that this thread belongs in general conspiracies.
Simply because you are unable to see the conspiracy does mean that it does not exist.

Did I put in my two cents? Yes, I did.

People are being centralized and any type of a lifestyle that makes one independent from corporations that feed, clothe, and shelter us while they run our lives is frowned upon.
We are moving toward a centralized society where every movement is tracked and it is being done under the guise of corporations catering to our needs.
Google tracks us in order to "advertise" to us in a more specific manner.
They are "catering to our needs". (more like treating us like helpless infants who need a Daddy)

Any type of lifestyle that is based upon Asceticism is frowned upon.
Similar to the Essenes.
That is because our economy is driven by consumption.
Corporate greed.

You mentioned the Rainbow Family (of which I am a part).

A law was made specifically aimed at keeping gatherings to a minimum on Federal land.

The feds made a law limiting the number of days that someone can spend in one spot while camping on Federal land, and if I am not mistaken another law was made that limited the number of people that can gather, as a group, on Federal land.

The laws were created in response to the massive gatherings that took place in the late 80's and early 90's.
They may not be equally enforced, but I was personally at a gathering in 1996 in Ocala, FL where they were being enforced.
The national park service and state sheriffs had the prison buses on site hauling people off.

Yes. conspiracy.
edit on 5/22/2011 by Josephus23 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
As per my China comment:

Amongst White Clouds is an intimate insider’s look at students and masters living in scattered retreats dotting China’s Zhongnan Mountain range. These peaks have reputedly been home to recluses since the time of the Yellow Emperor, some five thousand years ago. It was widely thought that the tradition was all but wiped out, but this film emphatically and beautifully shows us otherwise.

Inspired in part by the noted book by Bill Porter (Red Pine), Road To Heaven: Encounters With Chinese Hermits, and filmed on location in China by American director Edward A. Burger, the film takes an unforgettable journey into the hidden tradition of China’s Buddhist hermit monks.

One of only a few foreigners to have lived and studied with these elusive practitioners, Burger is able, with humor and compassion, to present their tradition, their wisdom, and the hardship and joy of their everyday lives among the clouds.

Directed by Edward A. Burger
Produced by Chad Pankewitz
Filmed on location in China

This is a mainstream example, however YouTube is full of personal videos taken all over asia where this is allowed. I'm sure you can find that movie somewhere on the internet too.

Edit to add:
an american example would be the hill folk in the appalachians, however the government does everything it can to mess with these folk, using taxation as a vector of attack. The amish are attacked in a similar fashion but through local building ordinaces. The fact remains though, in eastern culture this type of quiet lifestyle is not looked down on. They are far more willing to accept that not everyone wants to live in a big city. Our government will not allow pockets of people that cannot be pressured into servitude. Just my opinion.

edit on 5/22/2011 by LordBaskettIV because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Buy a boat and live on the ocean, nobody owns the ocean.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I have been thinking about western lifestyle and I do believe that you have no way out of it. Many reasons, taxes, food etc etc. I find it impossible

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
I know of First Nation trappers who live deep in northern Canada's boreal forest. They'll venture into civilization once a year, to sell furs and use the money to stock up on food, sundries, ammo and whatever else is needed to live free from The Grid. They do this to stay away from 'white' society as they see it as a corrupting influence on thier way of life.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I guess none of you guys know any boat people like me. I know lots of us. We all live off the grid, in general, and I am actually in Permanent Tourist mode. I can get all the fish and lobsters I want all the time. I am on grid right now, or I wouldn't be able to be online here. But I can leave any time.

It's technically illegal, especially for a foreigner here in Mexico, but people will pay money to go for boat rides all the time, it's a novelty to you landlubbers. I did it a lot in the US too, the boat is supposed to be USCG certified and all that to take passengers for hire. But actually, on paper, if you take your buddies out on your own boat and they chip in for fuel, or even buy beer, that is technically passengers for hire. It's something of a gray area.

I also often think of it, seeing posts about "bugout bags" and all that. I freaking LIVE in my bugout bag. I can go right off grid in an instant. I can go wherever I want, whenever I want. I love it. Nobody really knows about us, I guess, and we LIKE it that way. We are boat gypsies. It's the life.

And if and when TSHTF I am totally prepared and can vanish in an instant. I don't really point it out to anyone here, I have lots of friends, they know I live on the boat, but don't really think about it, I bet most of them kind of feel sorry for me, even though my boat is probably bigger than most houses. Well, small ones anyway. I don't spell it out for them, unless they are of the few who are awake to what's going on. Most of them it would go right over their heads.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptChaos
I guess none of you guys know any boat people like me. I know lots of us. We all live off the grid, in general, and I am actually in Permanent Tourist mode. I can get all the fish and lobsters I want all the time. I am on grid right now, or I wouldn't be able to be online here. But I can leave any time.

And if and when TSHTF I am totally prepared and can vanish in an instant. I don't really point it out to anyone here, I have lots of friends, they know I live on the boat, but don't really think about it, I bet most of them kind of feel sorry for me, even though my boat is probably bigger than most houses. Well, small ones anyway. I don't spell it out for them, unless they are of the few who are awake to what's going on. Most of them it would go right over their heads.

what are you running from? no one does such a thing unless he was being searched....

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Not true. I bet there a lot of people who live this way just because they are sick of the way the modern world is. I know plenty of law abiding citizens who would love to live this way.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   
I am not going to live in lake Superior lol

top topics

join