It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meteorite hits Chicago

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2003 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Anybody see the meteor? They say it was
seen in 4 states, and turned night to day.

I live near chicago, but I was curled up in bed.
May be part of comet neat's tail?
Hope there isn't more where this came from

www.nbc5.com...

also here:
abclocal.go.com...

CHET

posted on Mar, 27 2003 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Sorry, didnt see this thread... I posted the story in the comet thread with some thoughts on it.

Is it part of the comet?? Thats a good question.... I think the only ones who really know would be NASA, and THEY ARENT TALKING!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Mar, 28 2003 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Actually Dragonrider, I think NASA has already said *too* much...At the time when they publicly admitted that if the Earth was in danger from some cosmic event that they *wouldn't* even tell the public about it.

posted on Mar, 28 2003 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Actually Dragonrider, I think NASA has already said *too* much...At the time when they publicly admitted that if the Earth was in danger from some cosmic event that they *wouldn't* even tell the public about it. Posted by MidnightDStroyer

I stand corrected.

I would like to publicly ask for any amateur astronomers, especially those in the southern hemisphere to sing out about thier thoughts/observations on this subject.

posted on Apr, 19 2003 @ 07:39 PM
link   
I remember driving along 1-80 the night this happened and saw part of the road way turning into daylight ahead of me... I was shocked and awed by what I saw... i wonder if it could have been one of the fragments coming in.... ??

posted on Apr, 19 2003 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Why would any one who had one of these chunks of turn it over to nasa. I would keep it and do tests on it my self. I wouldnt trust nasa enough to hand it over.

posted on Apr, 19 2003 @ 09:18 PM
link   
i would call it meteor, and take it everywhere with me, then learn it's just a chunk of airplane poo. err wait, i'm not joe dirt.

ya know, may is coming soon, givin us little time left to live. if this thing does affect us, i'm ready to say freak em all. be ready, cos that'll be martial law

posted on Apr, 20 2003 @ 02:56 PM
link   
I recieved an email from a friend of mine today
who is sort of an amatuer astronomer.
Here's what he had to say on the subject.

In about 7 days we�ll enter a potential
edge of the C/2002 V1 debris field cast off
by the comet�s interaction with the sun
just prior to perihelion. At that time, the
debris issuing from the comet would
have been blown back across our
transitional plane diametrically away from
the solar disc. The projected centre of the
lagging field, comprised of heavier
particles not so prone to the whim of the
solar winds, should confront us at about
May 7, 2003.

I expect that there should be some fairly
significant meteor activity in the skies at
some point within �2 weeks of the mean
date stated above.

If nothing happens, I have to admit that I�ll
be disappointed. But, if too much
happens, I�ll be alarmed. Let�s just put it
this way: I don�t think I�ll be disappointed,
so I�m hoping for nothing more than a
great light show.

Happy viewing,
Hippiedog

Here's a link to the nasa article on the interaction
of the comet with the sun.

sci.esa.int...

Also, this just in:

METEOR SHOWER: Earth has entered a stream of dusty debris shed by
periodic
comet Thatcher, which means the annual Lyrid meteor shower is underway.
The Lyrids are not intense. Sky watchers in the northern hemisphere
can
expect to see about 15 meteors per hour on April 22nd and 23rd when the
shower peaks. The best time to watch will be during the hours before
local
dawn. Wednesday morning, April 23rd, may be best because on that day
you
can see not only some meteors, but also the Moon and Mars hanging low
and
close together in the southeastern sky.

spaceweather.com...

Here's a cool slide show of the meteorites that hit
chicago!!

abclocal.go.com...

Here's one for you collectors!

www.meteoritebroker.com...

I don't know if this is related but.
Freak Weather Wrecks Havoc In China!!
www.terradaily.com...

CHET

posted on Apr, 20 2003 @ 06:29 PM
link   
The information that I have indicates that we will likely be at closest approach to NEAT between May 5-12.

The Debris Field will likely not pose a serious hazard to the planet, as it will likely be highly diffuse dust and gas, with particles sizes smaller than sand. There is a possibility of larger sizes of objects, and I guess the chances of larger objects is higher with NEAT due to its significant size.

However, my main concern is still with the main core of the comet itself, and its potential damage to the planet in the event of collision.

Does NEAT actually pose a true collision threat to the planet??? I honestly dont know. At this point and time, the only people who do know is NASA, and they have a vested interest in NOT telling us the truth.

I would imagine that if we were in danger of collision, it would become apparent through the efforts of amatuer astronomers as the object neared the planet (because it has likely burned off all volatiles during perihelion, it will be very difficult to observe until it gets closer).

I have been accused of being alarmist about this issue, and spreading panic. That is certainly not my intention. I do honestly believe A, NEAT poses a significant threat to the planet, based on the information I have seen, and B, NASA is actively hiding or suppressing information regarding this. When I put these two issues together, I get a very uneasy feeling, and have to make my opinions public so that others can at least make thier own decisions on what to do for self preservations.

As I have mentioned before, I could be totally wrong. NEAT may not come anywhere near us. The HAARP offensive could have worked as planned and affected NEATs orbit at perihelion to deflect it away from us. In any effect, I DO hope I wrong. I would love nothing more than to owe each and every ATS member a beer and let them make me the butt of jokes for a night.

However, if I am right... God help us....

posted on Apr, 27 2003 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Hey all im new member but this post surprized me cause iv seen/read sum weired stuff the past cuple of weeks... I live in north eastern Melbourne, Australia, n on the 6th of April the moon was a orange red colour? phreaked me out. I also rember reading a article of the "Biggest explosion since the Big Bang" that was 13 billion light years away, we jsut received the light a few weeks ago. Article is below.

www.smh.com.au...

I have a feeling these r strangely connected sum way

posted on Apr, 27 2003 @ 08:44 AM
link   
I dont think that the hypernova is connected with NEAT or any other asteroid/meteor issues around our area, but it is a very cool find nonetheless!

www.digitalf8.com...

I wonder if this is the same nova from this article?

posted on Apr, 27 2003 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Yea i think its diffrent one, the other one cause a massive black hole n is extremely far away

i think this thread is related to dis one www.digitalf8.com...

new topics

top topics

join