It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Handicapped Man Picked Up From Wheelchair And SMASHED Into The Ground By D.C. Police.

page: 13
<< 10  11  12   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

Weedwacker. I am not sure of the jurisdictional authority of the DC transit police. But as a general rule they would have jurisdiction on the surface streets adj. to the metro transit system as long as the suspect committed a crime within the primary jurisdiction of the transit police,OR were acting on a request for assistance from a neighboring police dept.

In regards to the difference between the Metro Transit Police and a City, County or State police Officer, the only difference at least in our area is the patch they wear on the uniform, additional training or lack of training and their Jurisdictional boundaries (confined to trains and the corridors that the trains occupy). As far as the particulars of their jurisdiction or authority in the District of Columbia I am not sure.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by BioSafe
reply to post by OldCorp

OldCorp. As active duty LEO with 23 years experience, I would like to take you up on your challenge. However I cannot since their is no apparent their defense for this action. Due to the proximity of the officers to the suspect and the body language of the officers it is apparent to me that the suspect did not pose any immediate threat. Other means of restraint could have been used for the purpose of detainment or arrest.

OldCorp, when I started my career in the late 80's we were public servants. Now in 2011 the police force is being militarized and the younger guard has adopted the, us (police) against them (citizens) feeling. Granted the world is different now but our job of protecting life and liberties of citizens in our community should never change. Unfortunately I feel the world is different now as well as the attitude of the new troops

For what its worth to the rest of you who will paint ALL LEO'S with a broad and negative brush, I can tell you that not all of us (police) subscribe to this form of enforcement. I am a supervisor and make darn sure my men and women honor their oath and treat all with respect. And that would include all of you that have no use for me or the profession..

OldCorp... Thank you for your service and I appreciate your post.

thank you for your input, from what i've read with your post, you started in the career a few years after my dad. and the differences between then and now are staggering. my father became a Peace officer in '86 after military service...partially i know in response to what the crack epidemic did to our Midwestern town the 2 years prior. he, like most officers wanted to make a POSITIVE difference in the community. there are always bad apples in any bunch, but it seems that in the later years everything you've pointed out, has been true and disturbing.

the Peace officer of yesterday, is now the Law Enforcement Officer of today, and more militarized in equipment/thinking. and i see that as a potentially dangerous trend.

what's happened over the last 30years, is akin to deciding to switch out the sheepdog protecting a herd, to a wolf protecting the herd. and with that, the sheep then are more at risk for victimization than if the shepherd or sheepdog stayed on duty.

edit on 23-5-2011 by ahmonrarh because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by BioSafe
reply to post by OldCorp

OldCorp. As active duty LEO with 23 years experience, I would like to take you up on your challenge. However I cannot since their is no apparent their defense for this action. Due to the proximity of the officers to the suspect and the body language of the officers it is apparent to me that the suspect did not pose any immediate threat. Other means of restraint could have been used for the purpose of detainment or arrest.

OldCorp, when I started my career in the late 80's we were public servants. Now in 2011 the police force is being militarized and the younger guard has adopted the, us (police) against them (citizens) feeling. Granted the world is different now but our job of protecting life and liberties of citizens in our community should never change. Unfortunately I feel the world is different now as well as the attitude of the new troops

For what its worth to the rest of you who will paint ALL LEO'S with a broad and negative brush, I can tell you that not all of us (police) subscribe to this form of enforcement. I am a supervisor and make darn sure my men and women honor their oath and treat all with respect. And that would include all of you that have no use for me or the profession..

OldCorp... Thank you for your service and I appreciate your post.

And I thank you sir, for dedicating your life to a largely thankless job in order to Protect and Serve your community.

Human nature precludes all LEO's from discharging their duty in a professional manner. I have known many in my 47 years on this planet - some were/are good friends - so I KNOW that they aren't all like the scumbags featured in the OP, but the reality is that many are just like the ones in the video - TOO many.

I was once arrested simply because I told the police officer he had no right to arrest me. "I'd like to see you make it stick" I said. 10 seconds later I was sitting in the back of his squad car in handcuffs.
10 DAYS later, I stood in front of the judge and explained what had happened. He called the officer and the ADA to the bench and told them "If you ever bring a case like this into my courtroom again, you will both face sanctions. Case dismissed." BOY was that officer pissed!

Joking aside, I weep for our nation. The freedoms that we once had are pretty much gone, even though it really isn't evident unless you are looking for it. As long as people can come home after working 2 jobs and sit down to watch American Idol, they are oblivious to the fact that the Constitution is under attack. The 1st Amendment is under fire from police and legislatures that deem videotaping an officer to be a crime, the Indiana Supreme Court has shredded the 4th Amendment - and THEIR OWN Constitution - by allowing warrantless searches, and the President declared the 5th Amendment to be null and void when he gave the go ahead to assassinate an American citizen without benefit of a trial; but since this doesn't affect most people, they are either unaware of it or they just don't care - as long as nobody screws with America's Next Top Model and Jersey Shore all is right with the world.

In this post I encouraged that young man to "Maintain your Honor" if he decided to go through with becoming a police officer. Thanks to his wife, he's now having second thoughts. Smart woman. I say that because I agree with you 100% - the days of a "Peace Officer" are long gone; all we are left with is an increasingly militarized system of "Justice." Even my local sheriff has a "tank" courtesy of Homeland Insecurity - thank God he's an Oath Keeper, and on the side of REAL justice. As much as I'd like to see more police that perform their duties with integrity and professionalism, I don't hold out much hope that new recruits will be able to to maintain their idealistic attitudes when confronted with the realities of the job, and policies that encourage ignorance and brutality.

As a supervisor of LEO's I would implore you to initiate a training program that will remind your officers that they are supposed to be servants of the people, that their job is to enforce the law - not to break it. Make them familiar with what is left of the Constitution and to be professional when it comes to exercising their authority. I know that dealing with the dregs of society on a daily basis HAS to be frustrating, but they should remember that if they don't use common sense when it comes to dealing with the populace all they are doing is making their jobs that much harder. You've seen the comments in this thread accusing ALL police officers of being inbred, doughnut-eating, power-tripping morons; and while you and I know that is not true, when videos such as this appear on Youtube - and there are THOUSANDS of them - that is the impression people get.

*ETA: The latest example of a LEO not using common sense. Tasering a 10-year-old child.

Keep fighting the good fight my friend. We NEED more people like you protecting us. I'll stand with you, and those like you, any day.

edit on 5/24/2011 by OldCorp because: Tasering a child

edit on 5/24/2011 by OldCorp because: Spellin an punkshoeation

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   

On Thursday, May 19, the Metro Transit Police on routine patrol at the U St. Metrorail station observed a patron in a wheelchair drinking an alcoholic beverage. The officers asked the patron to leave the area and he refused. The officers then attempted to issue the patron a citation and when the patron refused to comply with the issuance of a citation he was told that he would be placed under arrest. The patron resisted arrest which resulted in him falling out of his wheelchair. The patron was arrested for assault on a police officer and drinking in public. The patron was transported to a local hospital with a minor injury. Metro Transit Police are following up on this report.

source: PINAC Embhasis mine.

They dont even care that there was someone filming the whole thing? This is pretty unbelievable.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
dude, this is amazing....lol! they "ordered him to stand".....guess it's like ordering a dead man to "WAKE UP!"
subsequently, they arrested a man(someone who spoke out on video) who tried to help the wheelchair bound man.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps

They dont even care that there was someone filming the whole thing? This is pretty unbelievable.

They will care after the lawsuits start. This video will be seen in court. The LEOs will be relieved of duty and then the civil suits will start when the transit authority bails on their stupid, violent, macho, ....[profane word here]

I always have my iphone and flip at the ready. And usually my Canon 60D set on video is close at hand. Fools in all sorts of situations are beginning to make a good living for me and my crew.

Streaming video is the wave of the future...a new Renaissance in human communication world wide. New Media literally has an audience of millions. Livin the dream!!!

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by BioSafe

Thanks, confirmed my understanding of their jurisdiction:

....as long as the suspect committed a crime within the primary jurisdiction of the transit police...

Here's the deal, though, as I see the scene. (Admittedly, we open late on the act, already in progress).

It is the direction the alleged "perp" is facing, IN the wheelchair. Near that sidewalk ventilation grate....really, looking at Street View, about directly outside, little East, of the Quiznos. You can use that MetroBus stop too, for orientation.

He is facing in the wrong direction for having exited the U Street Metro Station. Furthermore, he would have had to use the elevator, yes? Look in the video (or street view) for the green, and white letters of the H&R Block offices, to the left (East) of the subway escalators. That is where the elevator doors are, a bit left (East) of H&R B.

Wonder if "hot pursuit" is at work, here (or, in the minds of those officers). The Washington Metro has a history of very excessive enforcement of ALL foods and beverages, when a person is caught disobeying the rules forbidding them....the fact that this case involved alcohol is possibly irrelevant in that regard, unless the individual was also disruptive, in some way, because of it (again, not observed in the video).

One example, from 2004 : Metro Questions Arrest of Snacker

Several Metro board members said they want to review the transit system's enforcement of its rule against eating and drinking after a woman was handcuffed, arrested and charged with chewing a candy bar in the Metro Center Station.

"It's a question of striking the right balance," said D.C. Council member Jim Graham, who represents the District on the Metro board. "I'm not advocating to lift the rule or relax the rule; I'm looking for ways to avoid people ending up in handcuffs for chewing a candy bar."

Charles Deegan, who represents Prince George's County on the board, said he thought the Transit Police officer who made the arrest overreacted. "She probably needs -- what do you call it? -- an attitude adjustment," said Deegan, who joined Graham and board member Gladys W. Mack of the District in calling for a review of the policy.

So.......that was a big flap, back then. Years go by, the DHS (and Janet Napolitano **) makes noise, once again, about "vigilance" and sows seeds of 'fear and distrust'.....recently, too a plan for random bag searches, no probable cause, was big news...earlier this year.

** Within the Metro system, are constant recorded messages, on the PA from her, and the DC Chief of Police, urging passengers to "See Something, Say Something"..** Followed by the Metro Police phone number (instead of just referring people to '911').

We'll see how public scrutiny, again (and Metro Board member responses) will play out......

edit on Tue 24 May 2011 by weedwhacker because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps

On Thursday, May 19, the Metro Transit Police on routine patrol at the U St. Metrorail station observed a patron in a wheelchair drinking an alcoholic beverage. The officers asked the patron to leave the area and he refused. The officers then attempted to issue the patron a citation and when the patron refused to comply with the issuance of a citation he was told that he would be placed under arrest. The patron resisted arrest which resulted in him falling out of his wheelchair. The patron was arrested for assault on a police officer and drinking in public. The patron was transported to a local hospital with a minor injury. Metro Transit Police are following up on this report.

source: PINAC Embhasis mine.

Wow I finally read the story. How do I feel about this... well he was drinking and he obviously failed to comply with officers... so did he honestly deserve to still get thrown down ?

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Well, here is the number to call to voice your outrage:

Public info officer Stephen Taubenkibel
202-962-2474

Courtesy of Adam Kokesh.
Give 'em hell, I sure did.
edit on Tue, 24 May 2011 22:35:07 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 07:52 AM
link   
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned on the thread yet, but this is nowhere near the White House or any other major monument or embassy. From the background we can tell that this is right in front of the U St./Cardozo stop on the Metro, with the famous Ben's Chili Bowl in the background.
edit on 25-5-2011 by AntoniusBlock because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   
The two metro officers who were involved in the altercation have had their Police Powers Suspended

WASHINGTON (AP) - A Metro spokesman says two transit officers involved in a confrontation with a man in a wheelchair have had their police powers suspended. Dan Stessel says the men have been reassigned to administrative duties pending the outcome of an investigation by the U.S. Attorney's office. A video of the encounter posted on YouTube shows the officers forcing the man to the ground outside the U Street station.

The article also goes on to note that the assault charge against the gentleman in the wheelchair was dropped by the U.S. Attorney's office.

edit on 5/25/2011 by angrywhitechick because: Spelling error

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Am i the only one who thinks we need to be more strict? Of course we don't have the whole story to this but I'm guessing the guy got what he deserved. Why is it that we always just slap repeat offenders on the hand for crimes they do. Our justice system is wacked out and needs to be adjusted. You commit murder, then unfortunately you lose your life.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Didn't see this posted yet..

Officers "Removed From Full-Duty Status" After Wheelchair Arrest
edit on 25-5-2011 by aceto because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by aceto

They stitched him up with purple stitches,the stitches were done by the minnesota vikings team doctor.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by pacofunk64

Well I hope some cops beat the piss out of you. Then you can listen to other "people" like yourself froth at the mouth, spouting off about how you probably got what you deserve. That is about the only thing that will snap "people" like you out of your zombie trance.

edit on Wed, 25 May 2011 13:22:20 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
.30 is a quality buzz.I am curious as to what he was drinking.It must have been some quality spirits.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I think the solution to this whole situation is to take this man out to the go-go bar,get him #faced,buy him some lap dances and start fresh.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by aceto

Does the report say what the options were for the color of the stitches?I dont think the purple flows that well.I think he should have opted for a different color.Dont they have a stylist present at these stiching sessions to color coordinate everything for gods sake?

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by ErgoSphere

Hello there. Sorry I am so late in responding. Ok, so I understand that the handicapped fellow may not be an innocent, sweet, victim but this is not how to go about your job as a cop. I spent 7 years as a cop for a major metro police force. Cops have a responsibility to hold themselves to a higher standard than the general populace because of the powers they have granted to cops on their behalf. You must hold the laws in higher reverance than others. They must also exercise the greatest of restraint when dealing with those in the community. This did not have to go down like this, if the officers involved exercised some patience and understanding.

I grew up around cops and was one. While I worked their I saw a fundamental shift in the type of person the departments were looking for in new officers. When I was hired, my department actually shied away from hiring certain types of people, including veterans. Their explanation was that they didn't need soldiers or bullies because this is not a war, it is civil service. That changed. I also have seen many good cops put fraternity ahead of the law and THAT was what killed my dream of being a cop.

I saw so many scandals and illegal activity within the department. Big things that you just cannot sweep away if you have any morality. It was ALWAYS covered up, swept under a rug, if the incident wasn't public knowledge.

You cannot put fraternity above law. You cannot treat civil service as war. You must hold yourself to a higher standard.

edit on 27-5-2011 by Redwookieaz because: Me no gots good grammarz

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 04:56 AM
link   
I'm sick of seeing things like this and no one the the background does anything! We need to stand up to these pricks. S&F

top topics

<< 10  11  12   >>

join