It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Revolution Has Begun In Georgia - Opposition

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Following thousands-strong protests on Saturday, and with more expected on Sunday, Georgian opposition leader Nino Burdzhanadze claimed a revolution provoked by the government has started in the country.

­From 2,000 to 3,000 people are protesting in capital Tbilisi near the Georgian Public Broadcaster’s offices, demanding the current government’s resignation in order to conduct early parliamentary and presidential elections, Itar-Tass news agency reports.

So how many countries have erupted into protest in the past couple months?

According to Burdzhanadze people were being arrested not only in Tbilisi and Batumi, where the most violence protests took place, but also in other cities. Riot police are said to have been using tear gas and rubber bullets to disperse rallies.

On Saturday the People’s Assembly movement supporters were protesting on Freedom Square in Tbilisi. In the evening protesters moved to the Georgian Public Broadcaster’s premises. About 5,000 people have taken part in the rally in the capital, and Batumi also hosted a rally that attracted some 2,000 protesters.

This isnt the first time Georgia has been hit with protests, but with the way things have been going lately (in the world), I wouldnt be suprised if this grows to the size of the protests that have been happening in the Middle East.

Heres a video

The video says hundreds have already been arrested. The oppostion leader says the people now have to act in self defence from the government.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 07:36 AM
link   
This is all to set up puppet governments, so they will become part of the new world order. Do you think devout muslims would join such as alliance quietly without the illusion freedom and democracy?

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by ReVoLuTiOn76

I did not think Georgians were Muslim, for the most part...but maybe your point was about the general regional protests, not isolated to Georgia.

At any rate, I don't think that anyone's religion necessarily stops them from redress of grievences.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

Oh, I thought this was happening in the state, not the country. Now I could care less.

2nd

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   

This is all to set up puppet governments, so they will become part of the new world order. Do you think devout muslims would join such as alliance quietly without the illusion freedom and democracy?

I dont know much about the religion of Georgia so I cant really say anything about that part, but I do agree that this could have something to do with the puppet governments. From my knowledge, the US has a base in Georgia and they have been somewhat pro-west for awhile.

Last major incident Ive heard about in Georgia was when Russia declared war on them back in 2008. But (on the conspiracy side)....If the opposition manages to topple the Georgian regieme, I wonder which super-power they would be supported by.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Did some searching and found a few more articles

Irakli Okruashvili says he will return to Georgia to oust Saakashvili

Former Georgian Defense Minister Irakli Okruashvili, who fled the country to avoid criminal prosecution, promised to return to Georgia to take part in the May 25 opposition rally. “May 25 will mark the last day of the current authorities,” said Okruashvili.

In its turn, the Georgian Interior Ministry has promised to arrest Okruashvili, when he returns to the motherland. “We are waiting for him,” said interior ministry spokesman Shota Utiashvili.

I guess May 25 will be the day that decides what the future of the country holds.

www.brandonsun.com...< br />

Georgian opposition supporters called for the resignation of President Mikhail Saakashvili during a rally in Tbilisi, Georgia, Saturday, May 21, 2011. Thousands of opposition demonstrators rallied in the capital of ex-Soviet Georgia calling on President Mikhail Saakashvili to step down. Opposition accuses the U.S.-educated and pro-Western leader of corruption and a crackdown on democratic reforms.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   
I'd hoped this was for the state of Georgia.
I'm still mad about them making chickens illegal around here when the economy is so bad and so many are on food stamps.

You know, my disappointment- that's really sad. People worldwide are just tired of tyranny, and hurting economically, but it's real scary because sometimes you go from the frying pan to the fire.

I don't know though if this is quite like the Middle East. There's this RUSSIA factor that is always in play in Georgia.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   

The world is going crazy. By the way Georgia is largely an orthodox Christian nation though the largest minority religion is Islam (around 10% of the country).

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Heres a little update

Georgian opposition unite in bid to oust Saakashvili

Georgian police used rubber bullets and tear gas to disperse a protest rally near the office of the country’s public broadcaster. Protesters held a live TV transmission calling for Saakashvili’s immediate resignation.

­Leaders of the opposition movement Popular Assembly and several more political parties have announced that they have been holding sessions in order to develop a joint action plans.

Preliminary reports say that the Georgian Party, headed by former defense minister Irakly Okruashvili, will also take part in the talks. The Georgian Party has promised to take part in the Day of Anger – a mass protest action scheduled on May 25. Okruashvili has promised personally to lead the protesters (the former minister has been granted political asylum in France after Georgian authorities charged him with corruption and threatened him with prison if he did not recall his sharp criticism of Saakashvili’s regime).

Looks like the different opposition parties are grouping together as one. May 25 seems like the biggest day for the protesters at the moment.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by OptimusSubprime

Yeah I thought the same thing when I first saw the title. I'm right next door to GA and thought things finally kicked off in the US. Oh well, one can only dream...

top topics

join