It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fool Me! Is Your Government Making You See What They Want You To?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 01:07 AM
link   
I was recently playing around on the internet and I found some very cool optical illusions.

I am sure many of you are aware of what optical illusions are and that many people enjoy participating in optical illusion tricks.

While playing with the different illusions I came across one that, in my opinion, is the best optical illusion ever! I am sure some of you will agree, while others disagree, but that isn't the point - which I will get into in a moment, but first, check out the incredible optical illusion in the video below and let me know what you think about it, please.

More Illusions in the video below, I think the one where the a color is spelled out, but the lettering is a different color than what the spelling is (like this: RED ) could be used in some way to trick our minds on a daily basis.

Immediately, after watching the first video and the awe had worn off, I began wondering what all could this be used for. Soon after that, I thought of the movie "They Live(1988)" and wondered if something like that is indeed possible - using technology and exploiting our brains built in weaknesses, just like optical illusions do.

Now, don't get me wrong, I am not saying that the billboards, newspapers, product packaging, etc., are being designed to completely cover up subliminal messages, like in "They Live". I am asking if you think it is possible that we are being fooled on a daily basis and in mass numbers, to believe or think something that we would otherwise choose not to?

Could record labels be using audible illusions to make us more receptive to the hottest new star they are promoting? Could corporations who hire these multi-million dollar consulting firms be manipulating us in ways we do not recognize, but are none-the-less very effective?

I also know that many of you will say, "Well of course they are manipulating us with advertising and ingenious marketing schemes and may be using less than savory tactics to peddle their merchandise." That is not what I mean though, I believe they are manipulating us that way, but I am now wondering if they are manipulating us in ways that many might feel is just not fair.

Is it fair to research our thought process and the habits of the human brain, then formulate a plan to deceive us, all the while we are completely oblivious to what is being done to us as consumers?

What would you do and how would you feel if you found that most of the large corporations of the world were doing this? Would you feel used, cheated, or any other negative feeling? Should anyone have the right to use massive amounts of resources to develop this type of deceptive practice and then employ it on the citizens?

If you had a product that you needed to advertise and you wanted to get larger sales numbers, would you use this type of advertising, manipulation to boost those numbers and profits or do you think it is completely immoral?

Personally, I would have a hard time duping the general public as a whole or as individuals and I would feel very violated if it were ever found that this is indeed happening to us as consumers.

edit on 22-5-2011 by esteay812 because: Tyops

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Isn't that kind of their job to have you believe them? That's the whole point of them being in power is to rule I am pretty sure of that. Just saying but whether or not we chose to believe in that illusion is more important don't you think?

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Golithion
Isn't that kind of their job to have you believe them? That's the whole point of them being in power is to rule I am pretty sure of that. Just saying but whether or not we chose to believe in that illusion is more important don't you think?

Preach dude, preach! I mean I thought the crazies were on GLP tonight, it's Sunday. Relax, I've heard alot of B.S tonight. Either you don't make sense or i'm too tired to understand.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 01:19 AM
link   
very cool illusion...this one blew me away the other day

www.popularscience.co.uk...

Squares A and B are the same color
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a4ee4cede602.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Golithion

No, I think you are comepletely missing my point. Their job is to find ways to get their product, or government plan into our lives. Using creative ways to do that is ok.

I am asking about the idea of manipulating what our brains do to make us want something or feel we need it, without our knowledge.

In the scenario I am presenting here your point can not be valid. We have no choice to either believe the illusion or not to believe it, since we have never been told that illusions are being used to manipulate us.

Unless you are talking about some kind of illusion that is not relatively even close to what I am talking about here. If that's the case, then your point is still not valid.

Making us see something that isn't really there and making us believe that it is there. I do not think that is their jobs, to lie and manipulate the people, without them knowing anything like this is being done. Without disclosing the methods of information exchange in this type of manner is immoral.

You want a red car, but the dealer you visit only has a blue car, tough luck. But wait, the dealer knows that you want a red car, so he employs his mind/perception manipulation tactics and sells you the blue car - after convincing you it was indeed red.

You get home take a shower, sleep, wake up the next day and go outside. You are shocked to find out that the red car you bought is actually blue and the dealer manipulated your instictive thought process to convince you the car was red.

He knew it was blue, but portrayed it as red and sold it to you as red. I know car dealers can't do that in reality, or so I think, but that is my point. Deceptive manipulation of an individuals instinctive perception can not be allowed to happed on an individual basis or a mass scale. So, No - I do not think it is their, or anyone's, job to purposely deceive in this manner.
edit on 22-5-2011 by esteay812 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by BadBoYeed

Oh yeah, I love that illusion. I could hardly believe that they were the same color when I first saw it, but they definitely are!

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by esteay812

What do you think campaign promises are? They are falsehoods to get elected into power. Here, I am gonna say this and walk away, Power is only an illusion of control over a certain thing and or idea. Just because you have the illusion of control doesn't mean you have it. Now that being said you are gonna have to define control. Control, in this case is the manipulation of people's to get them to follow your rule. I am not missing the point that is how a person and or government rules or else they get over thrown. It's been that way going all the way back to Assyria and Sumeria. The Assyrian's when they lost the illusion of control brought down hell in a very serious manner, Siege of Lehish as a prime example. So a government may say their responsibility is to the people but in reality their underlying goal is to simply make sure they maintain the illusion of control (power).

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 01:33 AM
link   

You still are just not understanding what I am saying.

I am not talking about verbal sales pitches, used by politicians or others. I am talking about actual illusions, being used used to manipulate our instinctive train of thought. Nothing to do with believing or not believing stories given to us.

Did you watch the videos I embedded? Those are the types of illusions I am talking about. Could they be incorporating illusions like that into our everyday life, so that we don't notice them, but are effected by them? We have no idea they are using them, so we have no choice to believe or not believe them.
edit on 22-5-2011 by esteay812 because: puntuation

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by BadBoYeed
very cool illusion...this one blew me away the other day

www.popularscience.co.uk...

Squares A and B are the same color
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a4ee4cede602.jpg[/atsimg]
I cant see it, how did you?

link   
reply to post by esteay812

Sorry my mistake I was thinking on a Politico-historical field you were on a more elaborate thing. No I don't think the government would use illusions like that to manipulate things, you are talking about hypnosis use a lot in the 70s in particular in the music industry. I got yah sometimes I think to logical and not out of the box I apologize.

link   
Oh and that rainbow one blew me away, I had to watch it twice to see it in black and white. First time it was in real color, lol.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 01:40 AM
link   
reply to post by reesie45

you might need to save the picture, then open it in paint, cut out the two squares and drag them side by side. Or you might be able to find an explanation on some website somewhere that. They are the same color, for sure.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 01:45 AM
link   

I understand and I do agree with you about what you were talking about.

The illusion of control and political manipulation is and has been in play throughout the governments of the world for a long time.

They have become master sales people, manipulaters*(sp?), switch and bait magician's, and flat out liars... and they use every tactic to manipulate us, our money, jobs, families, land, etc., all while suppressing us, tricking us to like it and stand up proud for the country that is doing these things to us.
edit on 22-5-2011 by esteay812 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by esteay812

I understand and I do agree with you about what you were talking about.

The illusion of control and political manipulation is and has been in play throughout the governments of the world for a long time.

They have become master sales people, manipulaters*(sp?), switch and bait magician's, and flat out liars... and they use every tactc to manipulate us, our money, jobs, families, land, etc., all while suppressing us, making us like it and stand up proud for the country that is doing these things to us.
Not sure if this could be considered the same thing but, do you ever notice on commercials where their trying to sell something there are always small little white words on the bottom of the screen so small they are barely legible? And they come and go so fast its nearly impossible to read.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 01:52 AM
link   

I know it Reesie, it really blew me away too! I didn't know what the illusion was the first time I saw it. So, I watched the video and followed the instructions, not sure what to look for - half expecting some obnoxious kid to bust in while I was in deep concentration, staring at the screen, and scream so loud that it would scare me past death and back.

When it said I had been looking at a black and white photo I thought it was some type of pc trick, where when I went back the color image was some how replaced with a black and white.

Truly amazing!

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 01:54 AM
link   

I know it Reesie, it really blew me away too! I didn't know what the illusion was the first time I saw it. So, I watched the video and followed the instructions, not sure what to look for - half expecting some obnoxious kid to bust in while I was in deep concentration, staring at the screen, and scream so loud that it would scare me past death and back.

When it said I had been looking at a black and white photo I thought it was some type of pc trick, where when I went back the color image was some how replaced with a black and white.

Truly amazing!
RIGHT, I thought linda blair would pop up on my screen and throw up lmao

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Yes, I suppose that could be linked, depending on what they are selling, etc.

I know most of the times the little white words are legal disclaimers and copyrights It wouldn't suprise me if they do it in a way to make the general public feel like they are an honest company. Maybe give the false sense that the product is safe, because of the official wording.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 01:56 AM
link   

Yes, I suppose that could be linked, depending on what they are selling, etc.

I know most of the times the little white words are legal disclaimers and copyrights It wouldn't suprise me if they do it in a way to make the general public feel like they are an honest company. Maybe give the false sense that the product is safe, because of the official wording.
I once actually did get to read it and it was come cancer treatment commercial, and it said you should not expect to see good results or something along those lines..

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 01:59 AM
link   

haha, what a crock. I would hate to read that after having my hopes up for some type of treatment.

Reminds me of the disclaimer on the back of the forms that are put out in gas stations or other stores, where you can win a free vacation.

Turn it over and read the disclaimer and learn that you will have to sit through a week long timeshare sales seminar!, lol

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 02:03 AM
link   

haha, what a crock. I would hate to read that after having my hopes up for some type of treatment.

Reminds me of the disclaimer on the back of the forms that are put out in gas stations or other stores, where you can win a free vacation.

Turn it over and read the disclaimer and learn that you will have to sit through a week long timeshare sales seminar!, lol
Yep, Thats it. I dont even pay attention to the commercials anymore I just look for the small white fine print on a white screen. Lol Its like they legally have to say it but they do it in a way where our brains will pay attention to the hot girl on the screen or something along those lines.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join