It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Minnesota Proposes Amendment For Voters To Ban Gay Marriage

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

ST. PAUL, Minn. – The Minnesota House signed off late Saturday on a proposed constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage, clearing the way for voters to decide the issue in 2012.

After nearly six hours of emotional debate, mostly from ban opponents, the House voted 70-62 to approve putting the question on the statewide ballot next year. A handful of Republicans joined all but one Democrat in voting against it.

State law already prohibits gay marriage, but supporters of the proposed amendment said it's necessary to prevent judges or future lawmakers from making it legal in Minnesota. Critics said the plan is divisive and would put discrimination into the constitution.

Im originally from Minnesota, but moved awhile ago.

I cant say I agree with this amendment, but I do have to say I appreciate how the voters will make the final decision. Earlier this week, the Colbert Report had a little segment about the "gayest" cities in the US, and Minneapolis made the number 1 spot.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   
This may sound naive, but I do like the idea of the state Gov. leaving the issue up to the citizens. This country needs more of this I think. I think many Americans are tired of not having a vote. We are supposed to have our officials represent us in a way that's beneficial for most of us. It seldom seems to work out that way though. The people's interest rarely gets addressed. That's how our system is supposed to work. By leaving the issue entirely up to the citizens of Minnesota, they're essentially creating an actual democracy for the issue.

When citizens get to vote on the issue rather than the offial to represent you, it clears the road of any unwanted garbage and special interest to get in the way. I see it as true majority rule.
edit on 22-5-2011 by spinalremain because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Let the voters decide?
OMG!

Peoples am way tew stewpid to decide fer themselves!

Who knows, voters may decide that gay marriage is okay, and that'll be the end to that.
edit on 22-5-2011 by beezzer because: a gay planet Nirubu caused me to mis-spell

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by buni11687
news.yahoo.com...

Earlier this week, the Colbert Report had a little segment about the "gayest" cities in the US, and Minneapolis made the number 1 spot.

what!!?? I'd like to see this report.!!! I'm not against gay marriage but c'mon.... we're totally not the gayest here.

And yes even if its from Colbert.

Perhaps he meant we're the happiest city. Now that I fully acknowledge

edit on 22-5-2011 by innocenttdreams because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-5-2011 by innocenttdreams because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 01:20 AM
link   
reply to post by spinalremain

Agreed. Even though Im against this new amendment, I really do appreciate that the final decision is up to the citizens. I do wonder how it would be like if the citizens had the final say in every bill/amendment.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 01:28 AM
link   
hmm question is, how many people will show up to vote in local governments? Voting for the prez is all the rage folks! Cuz Fox News sayz so!

I wonder if this kind of voting is restricted to residents of that state. I don't like the idea people that just happen to drive through from other states and vote on the matter.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by innocenttdreams

what!!?? I'd like to see this report.!!! I'm not against gay marriage but c'mon.... we're totally not the gayest here.

Actually, I was wrong. It was the Daily Show that had the segment.

Daily Show: Jones - Minneapolis Is the New Gay

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 01:29 AM
link   

“Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add ‘within the limits of the law’ because law is often but the tyrant’s will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.” — Thomas Jefferson

All, too, will bear in mind this sacred principle, that though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression.
-Thomas Jefferson

That's about all I have to say about that.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 01:30 AM
link   

I do wonder how it would be like if the citizens had the final say in every bill/amendment.

There is the danger that you'd end up with a place where taxes were continually being voted out or down, and services/benefits were continually being voted up. The place would go bankrupt. Like California.

I do like the idea that the people can vote for things, but you cant let them just vote for 'short term gain' items too often.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 01:32 AM
link   
After the supreme court declared anti-sodomy laws unconstitutional a few years back a LOT of states passed amendments to their constitutions banning gay marriage. Only in recent years where state supreme courts have been able to declare those amendments unconstitutional (in the federal sense) have we seen this resurgence of a 'need' for banning gay marriage.

reply to post by buni11687

If you want a good example of what happens when you let the voters have their say in almost every law take a look at California. Especially in regards to taxes.

For anyone curious about the origins of the '15 gayest cities'; Gayest Cities in America
via Advocate.com

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 01:38 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

I would feel uncomfortable having to vote on restricting/removing rights of fellow human beings. I don't think it should be voted on, just put into effect, because we are talking about basic human rights for consenting adults when it comes to marriage. Next we could vote on which people are allowed to reproduce and which ones aren't.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 01:52 AM
link   
A constitution should never be used to limit freedoms of a people. In the US constitution only one amendment was ever used to take away freedoms and that was the 18th. It is also the only amendment to ever be null and void.

Here in Texas we had the law against men specifically having anal sex. Sure you could plow some girls rear end out, heck women could go to town on each other, but 2 men could get a police raid breaking down your door.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Hope they ban gay marriage!

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Let the people decide? you got to be joking.
what a stupid idea (not being sarcastic...it really is a dumb idea to have people vote for endless issues..mob rule).

Lets have the people decide if pot smokers should get 20 years in prison (yep, there just may be enough votes to let the will of the people do just that)....let the people decide if atheists should be imprisoned, let people decide if they should get a tax cut, or more money from the fed, or if the government should give everyone a ferrari.

no...how bout this

let politicians consult the state and federal constitution and make decisions based on that...and in regards to marriage...here is a wild idea, let the churches decide whom gets to do their religious ceremony and stop giving people whom have gone through a religious ceremony special treatment...I mean, wtf. make a simple civil union clause if we for some reason need to reward love in society, and be done with it...make it between two people, and let marriages, handfastings, and whatever else use that ceremony to also sign the legal paperwork for the union.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by rbaker20
Hope they ban gay marriage!

Hope they ban marriage!

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   

reply to post by spinalremain

Agreed. Even though Im against this new amendment, I really do appreciate that the final decision is up to the citizens. I do wonder how it would be like if the citizens had the final say in every bill/amendment.

It would mean the United States would be the greatest country in the world, with it's citizens making decisions based on majority rule rather than corporate interest.
- I suppose we can dream while we live in this sham of a representative republic.

new topics

top topics

join