It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Childhood memories (or lack of)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   
A couple days ago I had a conversation with my girlfriend and her family that at one point turned to a discussion about our early years of school. The thing is, I realized I could remember very little about it. I can remember small, vague pieces but that's about as far as it goes. I can't seem to really remember much before I was about 12 years old. I don't even have any memory of my girlfriend before our freshman year of high school, even though she and her family remember me from even further back than that.

It's kind of bothering me to realize there's this chunk of my life that I can't really remember anything from. What about you, fellow ATS members? Can you remember your childhood?

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   
My child hood , really consisted of making dens with my friends , you know like mini houses to play in , then bringing girls to play inside with us , spin the bottle and dare games :p good times haha

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by warbird03

You might not remember it, but trust me, its in there somewhere.
Recently, I've been having "flashbacks" i guess.
Random memories, of no importance from 15+ years ago.
Wait for it, and the memories will sneak up on you.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   

My first memory is from about one year, three months. Though there are things I blocked out, I remember a great deal from that point on.

Little memory before 12? Is there any possibility that something traumatic happened to You?

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Yeah, I know how you feel. It bothers me too that I can't seem to remember some things about my childhood. I do however remember the things that had the most impact on me. I hate that. I can't seem to remember the good things. And I don't know why.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   
I remember bits and pieces, some going back as young as 5 years or so. It has to do with brain development, in that the developing brain is... well, developing. The young mind is like a sponge so naturally learning your whole childhood causes you to forget some of the things from the beginning. Memory works on recalling. If you don't recall something for a long time you seem to forget it. As you learn, you think upon the new knowledge a lot, and "forget" about the old. Synapses in the brain adjust as more is learned and as one grows, neurons fire differently, and so on. The brain is malleable (neuroplasticity). It depends on lots of other things too like diet, genetics, etc.

I'm probably wrong here though.

What's interesting is how certain sounds, smells, etc., can trigger a memory recall thanks to the association.

edit on 21/5/11 by AdamsMurmur because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amaterasu
Little memory before 12? Is there any possibility that something traumatic happened to You?

I think this might be the case.. I have very little memory of my past growing up but that is because my life kinda really sucked growing up..

I have maybe prior to 18 I would say maybe 15 memories that i can distinctly remember but none are good. So I would assume this to be true also for the OP.. Apparently people choose to wipe things instead of remembering them..

Ironically I am wondering why I decided to wipe most of my past growing up, Cause there are alot of questions I have with no straight answers.. But then again I guess thats what Sherlock Holmes is for.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Maybe the good memories are blocked for your protection?. If you were to be able to remember exactly, the best times of your life, wouldn't it cause a lot of angst? If say, those are memories of people who no longer are? Who knows?

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   
I'm the same way, my brother tells me things sometimes that have happened to us, or in our life, and I'll draw a complete blank until he describes it in detail for me.. I hate that, i wish I could remember more, but maybe it's a good thing I don't! lol Our upbringing wasn't too wonderful..

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Well I have very few memories of my childhood, even fewer good ones. Although every once in awhile I'll remember something that I hadn't before. Sadly the reason I have so few memories is because I was diagnosed with PTSD. I guess as a child forgetting is the only coping mechanism you have.

I read somewhere that smell's and other senses can induce memories. So ask your parents or older sibling the kind of stuff you liked to eat/smell/etc.. Maybe something will jog your memory and bring a few latent ones to the surface.

Sorry if it's a little incoherent. Haven't slept in a long while.

edit on 21-5-2011 by Poker because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Sadly this is also my problem. I only remember bits and pieces and it bothers me quite a lot. I always want to talk about my past but have trouble remembering it. I tend only to remember pieces or mostly things that were in a way more important. And I feel quite bad when my boyfriend seem to remember a whole bunch of things form memories or just conversations. I can also forget things that just happened a few days, weeks, or hours ago.

I hope I don't have some sort of serious memory issue :[
But well...
I know how it feels...

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Some things from my childhood are clear but the majority of it is extremely hazy....I know certain mental differences, such as dyslexia or being on the Autistic Spectrum can cause one to have very vivid memories one way, and very hazy memories in another...for instance having very vivid short term memory but very hazy long term memory or vice versa.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   
I know exactly what you mean! Even so sometimes there are memories that i remember but didn't happen. It's strange for me too. Ironic as it is me and my girl talked about this yesterday.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amaterasu

My first memory is from about one year, three months. Though there are things I blocked out, I remember a great deal from that point on.

I suppose it could be linked to trauma somehow. My parents went through a divorce when I was about 5, and then I went through a great deal of bullying until middle school. The few things I can actually somewhat remember all have to do with one of those.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Well, the first thing I remember is when I was 2 years old, since then I remember many many thinks like holidays, bad things that happen to me, things I saw on TV, dreams I had. I remember my childhood very clearly, it isn't so special because it was very peaceful but yeah, I remember it.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Amaterasu

This is my case as well, and I've discussed the theory with family and friends. My mother was diagnosed with cancer when I was 9, and died when I was 12. Then, at 16 I had a traumatic car accident. I have very splochy memories until my senior year in high school.

Of course, now I have the memory of a goldfish, but that's a whole 'nother story!

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 01:05 AM
link   
I remember most of it for now but due to circumstances which I will not go into can't remember it all. In my case it is because of a medical condition, but in others many times it's because of something called Repression of certain events. This can be dealt with properly through a whole host of ways, meditation for one, and psychiatric help to allow you to cope with what ever happened to repress the memories. I forget the clinical terms sorry and no pun intended.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by warbird03
A couple days ago I had a conversation with my girlfriend and her family that at one point turned to a discussion about our early years of school. The thing is, I realized I could remember very little about it. I can remember small, vague pieces but that's about as far as it goes. I can't seem to really remember much before I was about 12 years old. I don't even have any memory of my girlfriend before our freshman year of high school, even though she and her family remember me from even further back than that.

It's kind of bothering me to realize there's this chunk of my life that I can't really remember anything from. What about you, fellow ATS members? Can you remember your childhood?
I can remember as far back as my first day of kindergarten. I was 5 and i remember little pieces of it, but anything before that is a big blank. I am 20 years old now by the way. So maybe when i get older i will forget...

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wickid
I know exactly what you mean! Even so sometimes there are memories that i remember but didn't happen. It's strange for me too. Ironic as it is me and my girl talked about this yesterday.
WHOA i remember when i was a little boy i was in my grandmothers friends car and it drove by itself while he went and did some errands....except I cant remember if it was a dream or not....it was just so real. Do cars drive by themselves? auto driver?

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 01:21 AM
link   

My memories of my youth are spotty (I'm over 50). Some are much clearer than others. I've lost anything from really young (1-4) but family pictures tend to fill in.

In theory it's all still there, but our ability to pick them out gets worse as we get older. Also, good memory to a certain degree is socially unacceptable ("remember the time when you...") and that gives us social reasons to shut it off. Have you read about the work of Ian Stevenson? He interviewed kids that could remember living in a previous body. These pop up spontaneously now and then. And if we think the social stigma of having good this-life memory is strong, it's much worse with past-life memories! So these kids who did remember were pretty strong-willed individuals.

We live in a world where good memory is devalued. In some circumstances you can get in considerable trouble (as an adult) for being able to recall an incident the way it really happened and refuse to agree with some authority who insists that you are wrong. But if you are willing to stand up to crap like that, having a good clear memory is a valuable ability. I think it should be encouraged and cultivated much more than it is today.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join