It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ELEnin Dwarf Star Warning September 26, 2011 - Make Viral!

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Elenin is not a white dwarf star. An object like that, about the size of the Earth..could definitely be seen. And a white dwarf star gives off its own light...it is a Sun! Sun light reflecting on objects in our solar system makes them shine. Like the Moon, Mars, Venus, Mercury , none have any light of its own.
A white dwarf star has much more density than our Sun. 1, 000,000 times more.(I posted this earlier) Eventually, our sun could possibly become one of these. Our sun has about 1 billion more years of stability before it start to burn up its fuel, so if we are still around by then, it would be a good idea to move out farther in the solar system to Mars or find another planet.

There are asteroids (or very dwarf planets these could be called.)..in the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter that are way larger than Elenin's size most quoted is about 2-4 miles in size. In the Belt is Ceres...610 miles in length, 4 Vesta..329 miles, 2 Pallas..565 miles, 10 Hygiea...520 miles.
I would be way more worried about these objects flying out of the belt than I would over Elenin.

edit on 23-5-2011 by ellieN because: misspelled word

edit on 23-5-2011 by ellieN because: Added a word.

edit on 23-5-2011 by ellieN because: added to

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by leunaM
reply to post by ellieN

our sun is a white dwarf right?

No..our Sun is a yellow dwarf. A G class star and way bigger than a white dwarf. One day ..way off in the future it could possibly become a white dwarf. No need to worry about that happening in time soon.

Pazcat has a good link on that.....
edit on 23-5-2011 by ellieN because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
does anyone have the exact coordinates for Elenin?
I'd like to bring it up on a real scope for a looksee

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lil Drummerboy

I'm going to assume you either have a very large telescope or a CCD camera for a smaller scope, otherwise you're not going to see anything as it's very dim.

These are the geocentric coordinates for Elenin for the next several hours. As I do not know where you live, this is its astronomic position with no atmospheric refraction factored in. All times are GMT.

2011-May-24 02:00 10h 27m 12.92s +08d 11' 30.5"
2011-May-24 03:00 10 27 12.62 +08 11 32.8
2011-May-24 04:00 10 27 12.33 +08 11 35.2
2011-May-24 05:00 10 27 12.04 +08 11 37.5
2011-May-24 06:00 10 27 11.75 +08 11 39.7
2011-May-24 07:00 10 27 11.47 +08 11 42.0
2011-May-24 08:00 10 27 11.19 +08 11 44.2
2011-May-24 09:00 10 27 10.91 +08 11 46.5
2011-May-24 10:00 10 27 10.63 +08 11 48.7
2011-May-24 11:00 10 27 10.36 +08 11 50.9
2011-May-24 12:00 10 27 10.09 +08 11 53.1
edit on 23-5-2011 by ngchunter because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 05:43 AM
link   
Here is a nice elenin graphic

visualrian.ru...

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Memenquay
This interview is interesting and fits well into this post.
Its a interview with the maker of the original ELEnin Dwarf Star Warning September 26, 2011 video, poster TerralO3

youtube

better skip first part
starts at 1.32

OMG!!!! he ran out of smokes!!!!! thats way worse than Elenin

seriously I don't see why any of this is relevant to our survival - if Elenin is a super mass thats going to slam into our planet, there's nothing we can do to stop it - and if it spews us into a nuclear winter.... well how do you prepare for that seriously? does walmart carry a sun ? perhaps in their lawn and garden department?

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Forevever

Oh..me!! I will be so glad when Sept. 26th is over. And maybe my Uncle will go back to normal too.

Why do these people think it is a star..dwarf star, which is a hot, shining sun, about the size of Earth too. If a dwarf star was coming our way, we will all be dead before it hits us! The heat will scorch the planet . No amount of preparing for this is going to save us. Unless you have a space ship, but then where are you going to go?

Ellie

A brown dwarf is about the size of Jupiter and also gives off its own heat, although very low, about 4,500 degrees, maybe a little more. They are hard to find at great distances, like light yrs, because of such low surface temperatures. I am sure that something that huge coming in our solar system just beyond Jupiter would be seen very easily, with its own shine.

edit on 24-5-2011 by ellieN because: added paragraph

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by ellieN

Actually, to help you clarify for others:

I am sure that something that huge coming in our solar system just beyond Jupiter would be seen very easily, with its own shine.

A 'brown dwarf' that was bigger than Jupiter would be seen, very very easily, for the very same reason we can see Jupiter!!!

Jupiter has no nuclear fusion of its own, to make light....but, it reflects the sunlight, and so we can see it, very easily, with the naked eye.

Something bigger than Jupiter would NOT have to have its own light.....it would reflect, and be brighter than Jupiter!!

A 'brown dwarf' and a gas giant planet (like Jupiter) are made of the same stuff.........

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

Thank you for the help..much appreciated. Just trying to help people to see that something that huge entering our solar system would be easily seen.
edit on 24-5-2011 by ellieN because: SPELLING

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Forevever

Originally posted by Memenquay
This interview is interesting and fits well into this post.
Its a interview with the maker of the original ELEnin Dwarf Star Warning September 26, 2011 video, poster TerralO3

youtube

better skip first part
starts at 1.32

OMG!!!! he ran out of smokes!!!!! thats way worse than Elenin

seriously I don't see why any of this is relevant to our survival - if Elenin is a super mass thats going to slam into our planet, there's nothing we can do to stop it - and if it spews us into a nuclear winter.... well how do you prepare for that seriously? does walmart carry a sun ? perhaps in their lawn and garden department?

i agree, i became scared when see this video, but since its a interview with the maker of the OP's video i thought i put it in here, so i can be discussed and hopefully debunk.
i'm not hoping for the end of the world, but if so...i want to know....there are signs.
(sorry for the bad english)

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by remymartin

What a drag for the Russian(s). The first comet discovered by a Russian and it turns out to have a hyperbolic orbit and will never return to the solar system, and will soon be forgotten. However, Leonid Elenin has calculated that due to perturbations to the comet’s orbit from the gas giant planets, that the orbit of his comet will be modified to a long-period elliptical orbit, and that it will return in about 10,000 years. Hold on to that hope Leonid.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

And your job is to defend your bosses right?
payroll chill...

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

A 'brown dwarf' and a gas giant planet (like Jupiter) are made of the same stuff.........

LOL
Hahahahahaha

Great, another payroll employee trying to mess around on ATS.
Get a real job man, you seem to be working 24/7 around here.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by lifeinthematrix

Are you really this ill-informed, and uneducated??

brown dwarf
n
(Astronomy) a type of celestial body midway in mass between a large planet and a small star

www.thefreedictionary.com...

brown dwarf
A celestial body with insufficient mass to sustain the nuclear fusion that produces radiant energy in normal stars. It is believed that a brown dwarf is formed with enough mass to start nuclear fusion in its core, but without enough for the fusion to become self-sustaining. Theory suggests that a body with about one percent of the mass of the Sun or ten times the mass of Jupiter can generate this initial fusion, but that it needs at least eight percent of the Sun's mass to sustain the fusion. After the fusion ends, the dwarf still glows for a period from radiating heat, with a surface temperature of about 2,500°K (4,532°F) or less.

You laugh, yet you don't notice others laughing AT you??

gas giant
A large, massive, low-density planet composed primarily of hydrogen, helium, methane, and ammonia in either gaseous or liquid state. Gas giants have swirling atmospheres primarily of hydrogen and helium, with no well-defined planetary surface; they are assumed to have rocky cores. They are also characterized by ring systems, although only Saturn's is readily visible from Earth. Our solar system contains four gas giants: Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune. The majority of extrasolar planets discovered so far are the size of the solar system's gas giants, although they orbit their stars much more closely and may differ in composition from ours. Also called Jovian planet.

www.thefreedictionary.com...

What is the problem with getting an education?? Prefer to live in superstitious fear, instead?

Currently there is some debate as to what criterion to use to define the separation between a brown dwarf and a giant planet at very low brown dwarf masses (~13 MJ ), and whether brown dwarfs are required to have experienced fusion at some point in their history.

en.wikipedia.org...

Distinguishing low-mass brown dwarfs from high-mass planets

A remarkable property of brown dwarfs is that they are all roughly the same radius as Jupiter. At the high end of their mass range (60–90 Jupiter masses), the volume of a brown dwarf is governed primarily by electron degeneracy pressure,[2] as it is in white dwarfs; at the low end of the range (10 Jupiter masses), their volume is governed primarily by Coulomb pressure, as it is in planets. The net result is that the radii of brown dwarfs vary by only 10–15% over the range of possible masses. This can make distinguishing them from planets difficult.

edit on Tue 24 May 2011 by weedwhacker because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker
reply to post by Klassified

Well, in a nutshell, isn't it obvious what a slew of amateurs would and could do? (We see it used, every day on ATS....).

YouTube.

Nothing to stop any concerned citizen of any nation, IF they saw a true, and dire threat of any size.

Not to say that the amateurs would see everything, of course. But, in this case, we are discussing a couple of well known soon-to-be "NEOs". Sure, there could be a "planet killer" out there, bound to impact...and, sure it could be (as yet) undiscovered by ANYONE.

See? (or not?)

Sorry Weed, I got sidetracked. I guess my thinking is that covering something up doesn't always mean hiding it. Sometimes things are hidden in plain sight. And lets not forget, that we at ATS are definitely a minority. 99% of the population haven't a clue about most of the things we discuss here. Nevertheless, I understand what you're saying.

edit on 5/24/2011 by Klassified because: grammar police

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   

- and if it spews us into a nuclear winter.... well how do you prepare for that seriously? does walmart carry a sun ? perhaps in their lawn and garden department?
Well,there are those that advocate the planning and preparing for some sort of diasaster....the Mormans for example store 1-2 years supply of food for every member of the household.....in my case we have,on hand,16 months(as of now)for each member of the household....now if we go into a severe long term situation,there isnt any hope...I cant speak for anyone else,but if I have the opportunity to prepare(25-40 a week of my households discretionary income for the last 3 years)and dont,and I have to watch my kids cry with hunger,then I havent done my job as a head of household....since the Government,in Jan of this year,purchased 1billion worth of the freeze dried canned food put out by Mountain House,in addition to the 42 million MRE meals they mantain on hand at any given time,which keeps me from purchasing any for the near future,Im thinking they might know something....there are plenty of arguments for and against storing supplies,I choose to stockpile...you do what you want....it can always be eaten...and if we do die in an inferno,I havent really lost anything...

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Homedawg

I hear what you're saying Homedawg, and I agree for your average disaster but we're talking about HUGE natural disasters, like getting hit by a stellar body. As I understand it, if something only a few kilometers across (not to mention the size of Jupiter) decided to smack into us - there's just no surviving that - the odds of surviving the initial hit are improbable, and anyone is alive after the initial hit would have to endure for 40 years without sunlight in frigid temperatures - it just won't work - the same would happen if a supervolcanoe blew up tomorrow and we have 8 of those to stress over, assuming of course you like stressing over things you can't control

Nuclear Winter - en.wikipedia.org...
Supervolcano - en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Forevever

So we KNOW,for a fact,that what is coming is on a scale of what you speak?...like I said...OK...theres nothing we can do....so?...But since we dont KNOW the scale of whats coming,it would be nice not to starve to death waiting to freeze,yes?

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Homedawg

Its a good idea to always have emergency supplies on hand. If it is natural disasters, then it would come in time of need. But even natural disasters are devastatingly sad, taking many lives and the destruction is just horrific also.

I guess when all is said and done, there is no safe place on Earth to live. Mother Nature has her way no matter what. We can't control her. With around 7 billion people spread out over the Earth, a disaster is bound to happen in heavy populated areas and even areas with scattered populations.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by ngchunter

Originally posted by Lil Drummerboy

I'm going to assume you either have a very large telescope or a CCD camera for a smaller scope, otherwise you're not going to see anything as it's very dim.

These are the geocentric coordinates for Elenin for the next several hours. As I do not know where you live, this is its astronomic position with no atmospheric refraction factored in. All times are GMT.

2011-May-24 02:00 10h 27m 12.92s +08d 11' 30.5"
2011-May-24 03:00 10 27 12.62 +08 11 32.8
2011-May-24 04:00 10 27 12.33 +08 11 35.2
2011-May-24 05:00 10 27 12.04 +08 11 37.5
2011-May-24 06:00 10 27 11.75 +08 11 39.7
2011-May-24 07:00 10 27 11.47 +08 11 42.0
2011-May-24 08:00 10 27 11.19 +08 11 44.2
2011-May-24 09:00 10 27 10.91 +08 11 46.5
2011-May-24 10:00 10 27 10.63 +08 11 48.7
2011-May-24 11:00 10 27 10.36 +08 11 50.9
2011-May-24 12:00 10 27 10.09 +08 11 53.1
edit on 23-5-2011 by ngchunter because: (no reason given)
Thank you
and I have access to one that should give me a good view,.

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join