It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seriously, is there any logical argument against gay marriage?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   
A 'marriage' is the physical union of two individuals who have the ability to procreate.

If two people have a physical union that does not have the potential to produce offspring...
...they can call it what they like but it can't be called a 'marriage'.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by goos3

Originally posted by akushla99

reply to post by goos3

PS it's funny how you say think for myself, but you say cheers just because everyone else does.
my sheeple radar is going HAYWIRE.
edit on 21-5-2011 by goos3 because: (no reason given)

Noted!
In future i will not be so civil with you!
Cheers

Last time i checked.
"Get a life, idiots."
Is not very civil.
Maybe if you didn't come into the thread acting like a child, people would be nicer.

Yeah, you are right...but it isnt directed at anyone in particular!
The interesting part is that you have taken offence by including yourself...i did not do this to you!
Cheers

You were directing it towards anyone who believed that same sex marriage is wrong.
I took offense.

...and i shouldnt take offence that there are 'humans' who disagree with me?...and are ready to preach to me about right and wrong?
Do unto others as you would be done by!
Christ said nothing, nix, zilch, nada, rien...about homosexuality!
His message is inclusion!
All Gods creatures are free to exercise the gift of free will, given by the CEO. If anyone has a problem with this...you will continually wonder why the abominations of humanity continue.
Good luck
Cheers

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by troubleshooter

Actually, they can call it whatever they please.

2nd

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by troubleshooter
A 'marriage' is the physical union of two individuals who have the ability to procreate.

If two people have a physical union that does not have the potential to produce offspring...

What if they're not able to have children, even if they are a man and a woman? Or old people? Should those not be called marriages either?

It's not like the human species is dying anyway

edit on 21-5-2011 by Casandra because: Spelling

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Casandra

Originally posted by troubleshooter

What if they're not able to have children, even if they are a man and a woman? Or old people? Should those not called marriages either?

It's not like the human species is dying anyway

Cmon Casandra
You wouldnt want to muddy the waters with insignificant details and confuse the issue?!
Lol
Cheers

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   

reply to post by goos3

PS it's funny how you say think for myself, but you say cheers just because everyone else does.

Noted!
Cheers

Last time i checked.
"Get a life, idiots."
Is not very civil.
Maybe if you didn't come into the thread acting like a child, people would be nicer.

The interesting part is that you have taken offence by including yourself...i did not do this to you!
Cheers

You were directing it towards anyone who believed that same sex marriage is wrong.
I took offense.

...and i shouldnt take offence that there are 'humans' who disagree with me?...and are ready to preach to me about right and wrong?
All Gods creatures are free to exercise the gift of free will, given by the CEO. If anyone has a problem with this...you will continually wonder why the abominations of humanity continue.
Good luck
Cheers

Matthew 5:18 I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished.

Meaning He believed that homosexuality was wrong.
So you have no argument.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   

reply to post by goos3

Noted!
Cheers

Last time i checked.
"Get a life, idiots."
Is not very civil.

Cheers

I took offense.

Good luck
Cheers

Matthew 5:18 I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished.

Meaning He believed that homosexuality was wrong.
So you have no argument.

If i am reading correctly... You are basing your position on homosexuality on a passage which doesnt mention homosexuality. You are also attributing your own interpretation of what has been written, to aver that He, believed homosexuality 'was' wrong...as if you know what He believed.
...and you are telling me i have no argument...laughable.
Cheers

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   
It has nothing to do with "equal rights". It is more about calling something it is not. If there was a nation of homos it would not exist for long. Unless members of the opposite sex were merely kept for reproduction purposes, ie.. "Breeders". I've heard the arguement... "with todays technology, medical advances and Blah blah, a good loving family can be had with two same sex couples..... It's still pretend, playing make believe. You can't see the natural order of things, That's why thier called queer!

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by akushla99

your obviously not getting the point.
he studied the scriptures diligently and also swore by them.
I'm wasting my time because you aren't going to budge.
Gotta hit the sack.
peace and love.
thanks for conversing with me.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by murphy22

Gee...id have to agree with you there...
All those childless couples that fertilise in vitro...well...theyre only playing make believe?!
And i d have to agree that in vitro was indeed the natural order of things...but i think thats getting a bit confusing.
Cheers

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   

your obviously not getting the point.
he studied the scriptures diligently and also swore by them.
I'm wasting my time because you aren't going to budge.
Gotta hit the sack.
peace and love.
thanks for conversing with me.

We are allowed to agree to disgree

Thank you
Peace and Love

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4
The number one reason is that gays already have the right to marry, just like everyone else.

They want special rights to marry someone of the same sex.

Equal rights for all, special rights for none.
Straight Couples have special rights to marry the person they're actually attracted to, unlike homosexual couples who have to marry someone they aren't even attracted to to gain the same rights. Sorry, but you can't claim you're in favor of equal rights, and then write off certain equal rights as "special privelages". Just because the phrase "separate but equal" (which you're clearly advocating in this case) has the word equal in it, doesn't make it so.

edit on 21-5-2011 by technical difficulties because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   

No they just need medical help to accommodate there short commings. If it's a man and a woman seeking help i'd have no pronblem with it. This is a topic that should never be brought up really. People that stick their hand in a fire, gets burned then asks why it hurts? Really can't be helped.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   
I don't really care what other adults do. It won't bother me if gay folks can marry. I do get real physical feeling of nausea whenever I see 2 dudes kiss. However, I have evolved to not thinking much of it when I see 2 dudes holding hands.

Then again throw custody of minor children into the mix and I will easily turn anti-gay marriage.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   
No None.

Many people today have a romantic concept of marriage - - - which is very new - - - only a couple hundred years.

Women were property. This concept that marriage was some kind of Glorious Union in the Eyes of God - - is ridiculous. Marriages were arranged for various reasons - - and women had no say.

So what does marriage do? It helps stabilize a community.

Is there any difference in hetero marriage from gay marriage? No - not really.

There is nothing wrong with gay reproductive systems. Just like any hetero couple - - where one partner has difficulty reproducing - - today there are many ways to have a family.

Studies have shown children of same sex couples - - are actually better adjusted then those of "One Man-One Woman". I can see that - - as I was raised by a disabled mother and grandmother. I was in a situation that was normal to me. The only thing that mattered was I was loved. When people had problems with my life situation - - it was THEIR problem - - not mine.

I learned early to be accepting of others - - - that I didn't have to fit a narrow path - - - puritans pressured society to live by.

When LEGAL marriage became a government document - - - religion was eliminated from the equation. To continue to use religion/god/procreation in this argument is bogus.

LEGAL marriage is about Rights and Property of joining together as one family. That's basically all it is.

So marriage creates stability in a community - - - and gives legal rights and tax breaks to the two involved.

What gender those two people are - - - is irrelevant.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Dear goos3,

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have learned a great deal from you and understand why you would propose and support a constitutional amendment banning same sex marriage. As you said "in the eyes of God marriage is based between a man a woman." I try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination... End of debate.

I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some other elements of God's Laws and how to follow them.

1. Leviticus 25:44 states that I may possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

2. I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

3. I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanness - Lev.15: 19-24. The problem is how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.

4. When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord - Lev.1:9. The problem is, my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

5. I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2. clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself, or should I ask the police to do it?

6. A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination - Lev. 11:10, it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this? Are there 'degrees' of abomination?

7. Lev.21:20 states that I may ! not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle- room here?

8. Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev. 19:27. How should they die?

9. I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

10. My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev.19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? Lev.24:10-16. Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair, like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)

I know you have studied these things extensively and thus enjoy considerable expertise in such matters, so I am confident you can help.

Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.

politicalhumor.about.com...
edit on 21-5-2011 by GringoViejo because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by tamusan

Right on! It is really a non-issue. If people want to call the sky purple let e'm. It does not make it reality.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by murphy22

No they just need medical help to accommodate there short commings. If it's a man and a woman seeking help i'd have no pronblem with it. This is a topic that should never be brought up really. People that stick their hand in a fire, gets burned then asks why it hurts? Really can't be helped.

...and you would overlook the 'natural order' of childless couples, but stare google eyed at the non natural order of gay marriage?!
Shift the goalposts as much as you like...you are playing this game with your own conscience, mister burnt hands!
Do unto others as you would be done by.

Cheers

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by murphy22

Thats why it's a mental problem.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   
If your faith is such that it makes you opposed to gay marriage it is simply in your mind rather than anything that actually affects your day to day life. How does it affect you in any other way than to go against something you believe? It doesn't affect your income, expenses, rights, and freedom. It just annoys you. That's all. The OP asked for logical argument. Stating that someone who wrote a story about people in the Bronze age didn't like it has no logic.

Procreation requires no marriage. Marriage requires no stamp of approval from religion.

Using the word "fact" alongside any Biblical quote does not make it true. It may be a fact that it's in the bible, but that doesn't mean it's (a) true, (b) relevant, (c) appropriate to today's society.

Using religion as a means to deny rights to individuals who may, or may not agree with your particular belief system is completely hideous. Religion has no moral high ground. Religion has no exclusivity on morals. Religion has no say in the workings of the government or the legal system.

Disagree all you like - based on your faith - but don't deny others happiness based on your opinion. Belief in a deity gives you absolutely no power over others. You are no better, no worse than any other individual.
Religious scripture is not logical argument. It is opinion.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join