It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How is believing in Aliens the same as Christianity?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by game over man
Do the non-believers think NASA is playing GOD when we send our "Robotic Angels" to our planets and Moons?

But wouldn't believing in Aliens be really just believing in yourself? Or maybe I'm confused, believing in Aliens visiting Earth is the same as Christianity?

I hope the die-hard skeptics of the future remember to use the argument, it is a very remote possibility that Aliens could visit us with our current technology and knowledge of the Universe.

I say some believers in aliens sound like religious fanatics because they operate on a faith based model (like religion) instead of a logical, realistic model (like science).

I actually have no clue as to what the point is you're trying to make.

edit on 21-5-2011 by SaosinEngaged because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by goos3

Ok so let me get this 100% correct, you believe in them how? As in they are real from another place? Or they are real as in from another dimension .

David Dee

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   
I see most have responded to the title rather than the first post. I will do so as well.

What the more "far out" theories say is this: That all the ancient religious beliefs and scriptures are essentially ET in origin. In other words, they all show evidence of superior knowledge that primitive earth humans would not have possessed. There is also "anecdotal" data stating this directly. In other words, these same basic religious beliefs are just control systems that have been used by various dominating societies to get populations to be obedient.

There are some "good" ETs that claim they have sent people to earth a few times to try to remedy this situation. I don't know if I totally buy their story. But there does seem to be a range of messages in our scriptures from hateful and intolerant to kind and forgiving. Apparently the more kind and forgiving messages are more popular, but they always end up being subverted by a new power structure and turned back into fear-based teachings.

What complicates things more is that most of us have participated in these power structures in the past. This results in a very confusing mental environment regarding such teachings. I don't agree with those who think everything will come out okay in the end. That's a very docile attitude and I believe a very poor estimation of what we are actually up against.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Redevilfan09

[Do the non-believers think NASA is playing GOD when we send our "Robotic Angels" to our planets and Moons?

Who said the other planets were ours for a start? No I don't believe NASA is playing god, and never will compete with god.

[But wouldn't believing in Aliens be really just believing in yourself? Or maybe I'm confused, believing in Aliens visiting Earth is the same as Christianity?

It depends how you, yourself interprete the bible. I believe we were put here by aliens simply because that is the way genesis makes me think.

[I hope the die-hard skeptics of the future remember to use the argument, it is a very remote possibility that Aliens could visit us with our current technology and knowledge of the Universe.

Maybe they are visiting now, but unless someone decides to tell the rest of the world they are real, then they are a myth just like the bible and other ancient writings.

You brought up 3 good points.

1. Will NASA ever play GOD?

I think they will, they could be potentially doing it right now. What are we going to do if we discover extremophiles in our Solar System, or life more advanced then extremophiles? How will we study it, will we make an alien zoo?

2. Believing stories from the Bible are about Aliens is not a new idea.

I completely agree. One of the first things most people wonder is the complete unknown where all the Angels, Demons, God and Satan come from. Yes we all know about Heaven and Hell, but where exactly is that? That is not really the point of the Bible. The point of the Bible is educate about lessons, morals, advice, how to get through things, sin, forgiveness. Those examples you could call themes, and they are presented in the stories of the Bible, and you are made to believe they actually happened.

3. Visiting Aliens are a Myth

I guess in a way that is a correct statement. But I actually think the accurate way to describe Alien Visitation, is a conspiracy because of UFO encounters and sightings. We all know that there are the 5-10% of sightings that remain unknown. Wiki Definition of Conspiracy Theory

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cosmic4life
reply to post by game over man

Both are conspicuous by their absence.

Like Pixies and Elves and Leprechauns.

Cosmic...

One is Supernatural and one is Science Fiction. But right now, science is testing it's boundaries.

What was once science fiction, is now becoming science fact.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by pplrnuts
How is believing in Aliens the same as Christianity, you ask?

...well, they're both fiction. One contains fairy tale stories with imaginary friends for deluded adults, while the other is about blue and green martians buzzing around the skies in saucers.

They are both nonsense. And they both make adults appear more silly than little children.
edit on 21-5-2011 by pplrnuts because: (no reason given)

Wow you are a troll. Deluded adults, you know some people may spend their whole lives like you, and then get wrapped up in a world of drugs and alcohol and fall into a hole of trouble or end up in jail, and they only thing that can give you some sort of guidance is the Bible.

Again it's apples and oranges to Aliens. Right now Aliens are science fiction. But when they are discovered in NATURE, then you can start reading the Bible.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Visitor2012

Believe in anything you want. Without direct life experience (knowing), you're operating on your own illusions. Playing games with words will not give you any deeper understanding of the questions you have. And believing in something that is not in your experience is foolish and a waste of time and energy.

If you saw an alien, you would no longer need to believe in them. If you witnessed the I AM of God, then you no longer need belief to sustain you. When you say 'I believe in God or Aliens' , you are saying that you know nothing about either.

There is a way to contact the Aliens that are here on Earth, including disembodied beings, there is also a way to experience the I AM of God as well. Beliefs get in the way of the pursuit for truth.

My opinions about the Bible and life in the Universe, aka Aliens, are based of off what I've learned from reading and listening to the subjects. If you're calling me a fool you go about pointing laser pens at satellites standing late at night in the middle of a farm field, and then later going inside and playing with the weegie board, obviously not wasting any time. Delusions, I think that might be the word you may have wanted to use instead of illusions.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaosinEngaged

Do the non-believers think NASA is playing GOD when we send our "Robotic Angels" to our planets and Moons?

But wouldn't believing in Aliens be really just believing in yourself? Or maybe I'm confused, believing in Aliens visiting Earth is the same as Christianity?

I hope the die-hard skeptics of the future remember to use the argument, it is a very remote possibility that Aliens could visit us with our current technology and knowledge of the Universe.

I say some believers in aliens sound like religious fanatics because they operate on a faith based model (like religion) instead of a logical, realistic model (like science).

I actually have no clue as to what the point is you're trying to make.

edit on 21-5-2011 by SaosinEngaged because: (no reason given)

I started this topic because there is a recent thread about re-opening the case to NASA UFO's. I was under the impression it was debunked originally here on ATS, but it was re-opened. Some people were saying similar things as to which you are writing above.

I disagree. I think there is a huge difference between believing in the Bible vs believing in Aliens. Completely different subjects.

Some people have already started romanticizing Aliens with mentions of Reptilians and Greys what have you in this thread. I am talking about the general concept of life on other planets, aka Aliens, and not all the internet ufology stuff. Believing in that stuff in particular can very well be compared to someone believing the stories of the Bible, but my opinion is about potential life on other planets, moons, nearby solar systems, and galaxies. What that life could be, I don't know.

So I will reiterate:

Searching for life on other planets is not like reading the Bible and searching for God.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 02:53 AM
link   

yeah, jesus was actually offering humanity an enlightened alien rule but the world has got to want it; they won't force it on you...he said they would treat us like a beloved only begotten son they would never let astray.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 04:37 AM
link   

There are two kinds of belief in aliens. There's the belief that the Universe is so vast that life has to have evolved elsewhere so we're bound to eventually find something. And then there's the belief that somehow a civilization has become so advanced that it can cross vast quantities of interstellar space and that in doing so it has, for some reason, taken up interest in our planet and our species.

Alien visitation belief requires faith and in that sense it is a bit like Christianity, albeit more believable than Christianity IMO.

The other type of belief doesn't require much faith because its based on Drake's equation and recent discoveries of Earth like planets beyond our Solar System.

The more evidence you have the less faith you need, so for Christianity you need an awful lot of faith, more faith than you need to believe in alien visitation I would say but neither belief has any sound evidence behind it.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 06:38 AM
link   

No. This is nonsense. NASA is simply sending out tools to survey our nearby neighbours. Your illogical conculsion seems to be based on two propositions: (i) There is life on those planets whichwould be able to detect said spacecraft, (ii) such life had a belief structure encompasing "Gods" and Demons etc.

The keyword in your argument is 'belief' In the case of UFOs and ETs you should be neutral- belief should not come into it! Examine the evidence- I myself do not find any compelling evidence that aliens have visited the Earth.

That makes absolutely no sense at all.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Gibborium

Toddlers also experience a personal relationship with their invisible friends, adults are no different with their buddy in the clouds who will save them from death if they pray to him and follow some rules outlined in a book. No you haven't seen God. And what do you mean by his handy work, killing over 2 million people in the Bible? Or people changing "physically, emotionally, and spiritually"? I don't see how that means God did it, people change, so does that mean an invisible, all knowing entity is pulling the strings of millions of people at a time and shaping the way they think and live? You have complete blind faith in something which has no proof whatsoever, what do you say to somebody of another religion? If they have complete faith as well, is it your word against theirs? There are a couple dozen religions out there, and surely there are members of each religion which have complete faith in their deity, so how does that make yours the right one? If you were born in India or some Eskimo village where they all worship another God and claim to have a personal relationship with him, would you still have complete faith in your God? I don't think so, religion is based pretty heavily off of what the other people around you do and believe, sort of like peer pressure.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   

It are both fairytailes (intelligent aliens and christianity), thats why they simply said, are the same !

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   

heaven just means the sky and hell is the earth

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by philware

and by the way religion is the biggest con going and the reason for all wars, lets just get on with each other,.
just a thought if there was a god would he/she let all this crap go on without doing something like 26th dec
i think in 2004 not to sure on the year but if i was a god i wouldnt let that happen never mind kids being hurt in anyway so they say god made man in his/her form is that not your mum/dad

its my thought that aliens did help in our evolution thats why theres no missing link
hope that helps

edit on 22-5-2011 by philware because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by lestweforget

Keep dreaming... Maybe you will wake up one day.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gibborium
reply to post by TupacShakur

Definition of Faith =
1 complete trust or confidence in someone or something:
2 strong belief in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual conviction rather than proof.

This is a two fold definition and how one uses it, determines the ultimate meaning. When I say I have faith in God, I am expressing the first definition. Because I have seen God, and His handy work, I have complete faith in Him. It is not just a strong belief.

I am having trouble understanding your viewpoint. How can you have complete trust in a 'God' that cannot be proven to exist? Then you state this belief is based on 'spiritual conviction rather than proof'. Only an idiot believes something without proof. You then go on to say that you have seen God, so my question to you is can you describe to me exactly what 'God' looks like please - in detail.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Titen-Sxull

There are two kinds of belief in aliens. There's the belief that the Universe is so vast that life has to have evolved elsewhere so we're bound to eventually find something. And then there's the belief that somehow a civilization has become so advanced that it can cross vast quantities of interstellar space and that in doing so it has, for some reason, taken up interest in our planet and our species.

Alien visitation belief requires faith and in that sense it is a bit like Christianity, albeit more believable than Christianity IMO.

The other type of belief doesn't require much faith because its based on Drake's equation and recent discoveries of Earth like planets beyond our Solar System.

The more evidence you have the less faith you need, so for Christianity you need an awful lot of faith, more faith than you need to believe in alien visitation I would say but neither belief has any sound evidence behind it.

I can see your argument but there are people like Michio Kaku who have programs you can watch where he takes the so called eyewitness reports of alleged UFO sightings and works backwards on how you can make a craft do all the sorts of maneuvers and how it could theoretically travel vast distances. So we have obviously come a long way from describing hypothetical visiting ET's, as say "Magical". There are others who have tried to re-construct a space craft, Michio Kaku is just an example.

So being vague and saying traveling star to star is a thing of faith, it's not some much a faith based thought, it's merely a matter of time and money.

Do you think we will be able to do so in 20 years, 50 years, or 100 years? Is that using faith or logic to come to those conclusions?

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by timelike

No. This is nonsense. NASA is simply sending out tools to survey our nearby neighbours. Your illogical conculsion seems to be based on two propositions: (i) There is life on those planets whichwould be able to detect said spacecraft, (ii) such life had a belief structure encompasing "Gods" and Demons etc.

The keyword in your argument is 'belief' In the case of UFOs and ETs you should be neutral- belief should not come into it! Examine the evidence- I myself do not find any compelling evidence that aliens have visited the Earth.

That makes absolutely no sense at all.

Your first point pertains to people comparing Aliens to Angels or Demons, whereas NASA is doing theoretically the same thing we have robots going to other planets and stars, you call them rovers and satellites what have you. But if there is some sort of primitive alien life able to witness NASA instruments arriving to their home, what do you think will be running through their Alien minds? "Well obviously not anything you suggest because you are illogical," was your reply.

So that funny word belief. Do you think NASA doesn't believe life exists elsewhere in the Universe so investing all this money into what? Not only is it space travel expensive, but very dangerous, and requires years of training and education. People are making an investment, if you are investing time and money into something you don't BELIEVE, then what is the point?

The last point that makes no sense at all, makes perfect sense actually, sorry I can't phrase it perfectly for you to understand. At this point for skeptical, old fashioned people, it is impossible for us to imagine Aliens traveling to Earth with our current understanding of the Universe and where we are at currently with our technology. 300 years ago the television would of seemed like an Alien/Magical idea. But you will probably tell me 300 years ago a television was already in the thoughts of many people, based on your feedback, and willingness to explore the unknown.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by notimportant

It are both fairytailes (intelligent aliens and christianity), thats why they simply said, are the same !

Ufology sure can be considered fairy tales, no doubt. But the general idea of Aliens visiting Earth is not. I'm willing to bet that we have some sort of protocol already established in space for potential incoming craft. We have to be able to track what is coming, we already do, with asteroids, meteors, and comets.

So if you were in that position, say Black Ops, or Space Military, if such a organization exists. You would say hogwash aliens could never make it to our planet, so we don't need to set up protocol for such an event, because their craft would have to have so much rocket fuel it will never make it here, and they would have been traveling in space for 100,000's of years. So it is absolute baloney to think of Aliens coming to Earth due to those obstacles of space travel, distance and fuel. Correct?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join