It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First Ever Commercial Quantum Computer Now Available for $10 Million

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   
This is really more of a research tool than anything. Almost like buying a chemistry set compared to buying an acid-bath cleaning solution.

The people who would be interested in this would be those looking to develop quantum-processing architectures and methods. It doesn't really sound like it will ever, in and of itself, be a computing solution.

I think we may be seeing more of this company in the future (perhaps as a bought-out branch of an existing computer company). They seem to have a good business sense. They realize they have no real hope of developing their own quantum computer, but knew they could solve the problem of observing the function of quantum processors.... and sell it to companies and individuals currently aspiring to create their own quantum computing solution.

Well played. I expect they'll be around a while.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 04:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by HanoverFat
Also think what the military must be using if these are available to regular (albeit stinking rich) joe!

Yeah was just thinking that, scary thought.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by iforget

Now guess who is the first proud owner of the first commercial quantum computer worth 10 mln USD ..... And the answer is .. Lockheed-Martin
I wonder what it will be used for
?

www.wired.co.uk...
edit on 31/5/11 by Thill because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 06:13 AM
link   
Hmm weird , I would have thought that a major US weapons and defense mega corporation acquiring the first commercial quantum computer in the world would spark some kind of reaction

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Thill

It kind of stands to reason.

Right now - Lockheed is probably going to use its optimization-centric feature set and attempt to optimize their F-35 development pipeline. Their outstanding success at failure in that department is quite pitiful, to be honest.

More seriously - this sort of thing would be very practical in the application of "genetic" algorithms. When you want to have an object that is the best blend of multiple features and factors - setting those into a computer and letting it go to town finding the design that best fulfills the desired goals can save a lot of time. It can save even more time when you've got a quantum computer specialized for such tasks.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join