It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I would be willing to pay a Membership Fee to ATS if...

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by User8911

Originally posted by jude11
1. Members had some control over our own threads such as being able to delete the posts of trolls and rude/ignorant people in general.

That's actually what happens to MSM, people pay to have what they don't want deleted and then controls the information. If you want to do this post on youtube, that we're smart people go no? jk :p

Good comparison...lol

Thanks

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

I have two suggestions, and no-ones gonna like 'em!

1: Negative stars.
Not only will this make trolls more obvious, it'll act as a deterant, as people will think twice about posting derailing comments. Make every post count right? the star and flag system is broken anyway.

2: Complain button.
This one's not very practical. give people the ability to flag posts as spam. enough people flag a post as spam and a mod is alerted.

The problem with free speech is that everyone gets it.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Hmm...the thing about Stars and Flags is that they are generally useless in determining quality. Popular Public Opinion rarely equals quality (that's just about a universal truth). Just look at how many Justin Beiber fans there are. Haha, I jest, I'm sure Mr.Beiber is a fantastic and talented musical artist (don't sue me bro).

On topic: I would suggest that the administrators and super-moderators hand pick the stealth force. I would also like to stress that it is a necessity that they don't all have the same belief sets. It also needs to be quite easy to lose the position if one abuses its power.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheOneElectric
reply to post by jude11

Hmm...the thing about Stars and Flags is that they are generally useless in determining quality. Popular Public Opinion rarely equals quality (that's just about a universal truth). Just look at how many Justin Beiber fans there are. Haha, I jest, I'm sure Mr.Beiber is a fantastic and talented musical artist (don't sue me bro).

On topic: I would suggest that the administrators and super-moderators hand pick the stealth force. I would also like to stress that it is a necessity that they don't all have the same belief sets. It also needs to be quite easy to lose the position if one abuses its power.

Ok, this I can get behind. No $ for the site tho.

S&F could be just one step. It could also come down to the applause as these are not as freely distributed it seems. Generally it's for solid content and contribution.

This way it is a vote amongst the MODS and in effect should be a fair reading of ALL Mods.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by HanoverFat
reply to post by jude11

I have two suggestions, and no-ones gonna like 'em!

1: Negative stars.
Not only will this make trolls more obvious, it'll act as a deterant, as people will think twice about posting derailing comments. Make every post count right? the star and flag system is broken anyway.

2: Complain button.
This one's not very practical. give people the ability to flag posts as spam. enough people flag a post as spam and a mod is alerted.

The problem with free speech is that everyone gets it.

Now this is a great idea!

Where have you been hiding? lol

I like this one as it seems to be a fair approach for everyone.

Thanks!

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Are you guys seriously considering an ATS Gestapo?! seriously guys have you not learned anything from history? Power corrupts. Assigning extra power to a group who operate behind the scene? No, we dont need word police, far from it. You've gone from enpowering the user to increasing the powers of the Mods. Can you see the irony of what you're suggesting?

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by HanoverFat

Oh, trust me. These positions are widely used on many sites. Sometimes you don't want outright moderator presence everywhere. Sometimes the staff is busy.

Trust me, these positions, if abused would be snatched instantly. Also, if you read what I suggested, they don't even have half the power of moderators.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Are you guys seriously considering an ATS Gestapo?! seriously guys have you not learned anything from history? Power corrupts. Assigning extra power to a group who operate behind the scene? No, we dont need word police, far from it. You've gone from enpowering the user to increasing the powers of the Mods. Can you see the irony of what you're suggesting?

I don't think that's what's being suggested. At least that's not what I'm getting out of it. Did I miss something?

What are you referring to?

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Why dont we all just keep ATS the way it is and stop any further disagreements about it, that way evryones happy
!

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by TheOneElectric

3) Have the ability to to cut certain posts that are clearly in violation of the rules

Half the power of the moderators or not, you're still suggesting a group of informers basically, with the power to censor according to how they interpret both the T&C and someone's post. Giving them a cutsy name for us to refer to them by doesnt make it any less backwards. I can appreciate other forums having these stealth forces, but it doesn't sit well with ATS's ethos, in my opinion.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   

reply to post by TheOneElectric

3) Have the ability to to cut certain posts that are clearly in violation of the rules

Half the power of the moderators or not, you're still suggesting a group of informers basically, with the power to censor according to how they interpret both the T&C and someone's post. Giving them a cutsy name for us to refer to them by doesnt make it any less backwards. I can appreciate other forums having these stealth forces, but it doesn't sit well with ATS's ethos, in my opinion.

I don't know if I see it that way exactly.

If this were implemented, would it not give the members at least a little control over what happens and not all control by just a few?

I think we are trying to achieve the same thing but with different approaches which could possibly yield a variety of results.

Difficult point here I agree.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
ATS should pay it's members for their threads and contributions.

I put more into ATS than I take away.
edit on 21-5-2011 by IndieA because: additional info

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   
all these ideas are interesting but all suffer from a common failing:

they set up more control-structures
just waiting to fall into the hands of disinfo-agents, pharma and many other kinds of shills, agents of GOV and TCOTBIP, and the least of these all: the dreaded troll.

this site needs more money to keep up?

well F it,

more ads then.

simple.

and think of the irony of having the system pay for it.
and not you.

what? do the ads distract you?

don't look at them.
simple

for $5 membership fee i'd expect to be able to use cuss words if i felt their use were relevant
or "required" by context. no profanity if used to attack another person though.

censoring is never a good idea.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by DerepentLEstranger
all these ideas are interesting but all suffer from a common failing:

they set up more control-structures
just waiting to fall into the hands of disinfo-agents, pharma and many other kinds of shills, agents of GOV and TCOTBIP, and the least of these all: the dreaded troll.

this site needs more money to keep up?

well F it,

more ads then.

simple.

and think of the irony of having the system pay for it.
and not you.

what? do the ads distract you?

don't look at them.
simple

for $5 membership fee i'd expect to be able to use cuss words if i felt their use were relevant
or "required" by context. no profanity if used to attack another person though.

censoring is never a good idea.

Good Points, especially the cussing part.

Sometimes there is absolutely no way to express yourself to the fullest without a little #^$#( thrown in. And against other members. Absolutely not.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

1. Members had some control over our own threads such as being able to delete the posts of trolls and rude/ignorant people in general. Many other forums on the net give members that option. It would also help in keeping threads on track instead of de-railing the OP.

Absolutely no! This is just common censorship! Censorship because someone does not agree with your opinion and outlook! it is common practice on ATS for the conspiracy theorist members to label someone a troll or shill simply because they disagree with what they say or have been beaten in a debate! Absolutely proven to be true .... Do a search!

2. Members had control of being able to block a member from his/her future threads

Again utter rubbish. Yet more censorship. You seem to have missed the concept that ATS is a public, open and free website for all to express and voice their opinions. No matter what they are.

1: Negative stars. Not only will this make trolls more obvious, it'll act as a deterrent, as people will think twice about posting derailing comments. Make every post count right? the star and flag system is broken anyway.

Gee another bright point! Lets turn ATS into a popularity contest. Look how well it works on youtube! Lol! This will be abused something chronic! People will give these negative stars based purely on difference of opinion! Really insane idea!

With the way you want to wield the censorship axe you come across as a "control freak" who would be right at home working in the either the Chinese or Iranian governments. Seems harsh? Well that is what your censorship and "control" tactics amount to!

Do you want ATS to be a "Pro Conspiracy Theorist" only zone?

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   
they make plenty off advertising, please dont give them any insane ideas, like making us pay for this site

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   
i think charging someone to voice their opinion goes against the spirit of an open and free discussion of ideas.

the site owners should be content that they have given people a forum to discuss strange and unusual events that go on around the world.

they should be happy with the revenue they generate thru ads and sponsers and shouldn't try to gouge loyal members like some oil company with cheap membership fees.

all that would happen is drive members to competing sites.

plus some opinions posted on here aren't worth 5 cents a month, let alone $5.

but i would pay $5 just to find out what happened to bernard schnitzel.

edit on 22-5-2011 by randomname because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

a site that bans mentioning substances while allowing videos of the most vile side of humanity is neither worth subscribing to or advertising on, IMHO. "won't someone think of the children!" my arse.

if the owner(s) of ATS was truly concerned about thread content OPs would not post until Mod approved. they don't give a hoot if there are 14 separate threads on the same topicality at the same time. just my two cents. it's not my sandbox, it's not my ball. i have no power over whom gets to play.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 01:42 AM
link   
why would you want to charge yourself when you make the topics? if the money went towards setting up interviews or further exploring topics sure, if not lets not get greedy. I do appreciate the mods though

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 02:05 AM
link   
I won't pay to post. Not even $5. Times are rough and sometimes it really does come down to me needing that $5.
As it is I'm shocked that people pay for GLP.

I think leaving ATS as a non pay site levels the playing field. You start getting your premium members in here and they are going to gripe about how they pay and you don't, blah blah blah. I'll just not bother if it came to that. And I don't like the idea of my commentary being deleted by thread owners. That means, you'll just delete what you don't like and it could lead to unfair censorship.

Please leave ats as is, thanks.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join