It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Volcano Eruption in Grímsvötn Iceland.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Of all days to erupt this volcano sure picks the correct one to get people startled and the look of the quakes makes me even more worried as it is in the same line as laki erupted back in the day.

But so far there is no couse for alarm, we have not shut down our airspace we have not started evacuating people from the near areas, but we have closed one road close to it just as a precosion.

So far there have been around 55-60 quakes there and they won´t be calming down and the smoke itself has reached 20.000 feet, there´s just a question of how big the eruption will be and when it will peak. The last eruption made a big hole in the glacier itself but it didn´t do much damage to the surronding area´s but rather the water from the galcier coused a huge increse in the water that was emitted from there and it washed away our main highway bridge. But back then we had prepered for that and made holes in our main road to relese pressure on some parts of the highway and that did work.

If this eruption is like the 1998 one then there is nothing to worry about, but back then because of the bad weather we missed most of the eruption but seing as there is good weather now we might be able to watch the eruption this time.

So basicly what im saying there is no couse to be alarmed just yet people. I will update this with the latest news as they come. Untill then just stay calm

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Spacedman13

Yeah, I just saw this too.

Here are some more pictures:

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Scientists will be flying over the area later tonight so we might be getting better pictures and information on what area´s are being affected by the eruption. The plane they usually use for this kind of stuff is broken but they are exspecting the part for it to reach Iceland on monday.

The road we closed is the main road , and it is closed because of the same reasons as in the 1998 eruption because there will be a increse in water flow. They are most likely started on making holes in the road to let the water through. They are exspecting the glacier run to start in about 8 hours.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Spacedman13

Yikes. Agreed, good timing.
Is there a link to a story/updates?

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by don rumsfeld

Yes there are but they are all in Icelandic. But i will include them in my later posts as im going to make a huge overwiev post in a bit.

edit on 21-5-2011 by Spacedman13 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spacedman13
reply to post by don rumsfeld

Yes there are but they are all in Icelandic.

Hey,

Try looking up Jon Frimman on the internet, he has a live web blog totally devoted to volcanic/earthquake activity in Iceland. Its well worth the read.

Peace

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
live.mila.is...

there are 3 new web cams now, but they are not working yet.

the last three on the list are the newest

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by cabinda

Thank you for that , but i allready know about that blog
I have been observing the volcanic activity and seismic activity in this country for some time now.

www.jonfr.com...

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Where about's are you based Spacedman13? looking at the wind flow diagrams and the VAAC flow it seems the column doesn't make much progress until the Atlantic Cyclogesis gets underway through Sunday Night bombing to 980mb (the same system that's going to cross Scotland giving 70mph gusts), which will carry the Volcanic column Southeast along with it into Northwest Europe along the Jet.
Any notices in the media for Western Iceland currently? given its tourist season at the minute and i'm sure there'll be some back-room meetings going on even now to gauge just what to do in terms of not only the international public but population of Reykjavik and USAF in Keflavik with some expensive kit there.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcellante
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OH HELP ME BABY JEBUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Because I didn't find out why your post could be considered funny, I started searching letter by letter for any trace of a scientific or cultural contribution to this thread. I failed 100%.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by RUDDD

As i said erlier we have not closed down our airspace so there should not be any alarm yet in the Uk or Europe. But this is just the starting stages of the eruption. I will be posting more once i get home in about 2 hour or so.
I live in Reykjarvík the capital.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Spectacular event.

It is also interesting to see what is going to happen with people after all that talk about some event, and here volcano. I think there will be a lot of discussion. Though myself would rather put aside this religious haze.

On the other hand, is there any connection between this and the previous eruption in late 2010? Seems very plausible, on the other hand this all could have been a chain reaction after the Eyjafjallajökull.. -> japan -> back here
Though it's only an assumption as i am not particularly familiar with the current movement of tectonic plates.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Beautiful picture showing the vertical column feeding into the higher ash clouds at FL650 above it.
tinypic.com...

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Around 17:30 today there was a increase in seismic activity around Grímsvötn which followed by a eruption around 1 and half a hour later so around 19:00. And as you can see from the chart below there was a huge spike in tremor activity which was felt around the country as you can see if you go into this LINK and press any of the orange dots on the country image.

The cloud had reached around 20.000 feet around 22:00 later the evening, and is now being reported as high as 55.000 feet above the eruption site. The winds are being reported as northwinds at the base of the eruption but in the high skies it goes to the west at the moment some ash fall is be being reported to be hitting area called Kirkjubæjaklaustur which is to the west of Vatnajökull. People in the near area are being advised to stay indoors as scientists do not know what kind of ash fall it is.

It is being reported that the eruption started from the south west corner of Grímsvötn and they say that´s the place the previous eruption happent in which im thinking that they are referring to the 1998 and 2004 eruption.
At the moment there is no current threat to the flights to and from the country but that might change if the winds change and also if there is increase to the emitted cloud. They report that they will most likely know a lot more in the morning. But they say that it might continue as it has or it might even just die down and nothing else happen. As we all know this is unpredictable.

From the flight erlier tonight they reported that there were lightnings in the cloud going to the base of the eruption.
But i could not find any pictures from that, as always they are saving the best for themselfs(those selfish bastards) But scientist are reporting that this eruption is much larger then the 2004 eruption.

Here are some of the links in which i am getting the information from, this is all in Icelandic but you can translate it all on google translate if you want to. Translate

Flight report
Lightnings and current height of the stroke
Larger then the 2004 eruption
People adviced to stay indoors

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcellante
post removed by staff

Yes we are all going to die, but we´ll all most likely die to the rare disease called "Old Age"
edit on Sat May 21 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
There is an existing thread here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion in the above linked thread.
Thanks

**Thread Closed**

**Thread Closed**

edit on Sun May 22 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: edit to correct link

new topics

top topics

join