It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

6.1 Mag EQ in New Zealand

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by zenius

It may get more 6.x than other places, but since only 0.675% of all annual quakes are 6.x and up, I can't imagine your claim that they're "not unusual" is accurate. I defy you to support the idea that less than one percent of anything is reasonably considered "usual" anywhere.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by sepermeru

I'm just saying that the region from north of New Zealand to New Guinea is very active because it is on the rim of fire and reasonably sized quakes happen along that plate junction fairly often. Ok, 6.1 is bigger than the norm for Kermadec, but EMSC has it as a 5.7 so there is discrepancy about the magnitude. From watching this area for a while, it tends to have a decent energy release every month or two.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Geographically the Kermadecs are not "in" New Zealand at all.
Its a political/ economic zone thing.

A 6.1 is not unusual at all for there, even 7's are relatively normal with a couple each year.

Over 7.0 then we might feel it in the main NZ islands, over 8.0 an outside chance of a Tsunami.
No need for concern in this case.
No one lives on Raoul Island except the odd small group of scientists stationed there on rotation ( one was killed a few years back when the crater lake blew )

Historic Seismicity USGS
neic.usgs.gov...
edit on 23-5-2011 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzzy
Geographically the Kermadecs are not "in" New Zealand at all.
Its a political/ economic zone thing.

A 6.1 is not unusual at all for there, even 7's are relatively normal with a couple each year.

Over 7.0 then we might feel it in the main NZ islands, over 8.0 an outside chance of a Tsunami.
No need for concern in this case.
No one lives on Raoul Island except the odd small group of scientists stationed there on rotation ( one was killed a few years back when the crater lake blew )

Historic Seismicity USGS
neic.usgs.gov...
edit on 23-5-2011 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

It's a good thing I didn't waste time reading the whole thread!
I checked Geonet, no earthquake above a 3 since 13.05.2011, now I see it is not NZ at all! Whew... but I already thought as much - that is, the media would have said so had it happened.
Vicky

top topics

<< 1   >>

join