It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Packs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
What packs are all of you guys using for a B.O.B?

I was wondering if you could give me advice on which pack i should go with. I know it comes down to my decision in the end, but i just thought i'd bounce ideas off everyone.

My first choice was an A.L.I.C.E. pack, strictly because it's "battle proven" in a way.

but I don't know if i should go with a different pack

So i started looking and narrowed it down to two.

It's between this one
which is a nice pack, hydration compatible, rifle blocks, and two large compartments (sounds like not enough to me)

and
Th e large A.L.I.C.E. pack

I know it's probably a no brainer to go with the alice pack. but there are a few features that the alice pack lacks. that i was really looking for. But i don't know the size difference between the two.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Sforscott

I started with ALICE...but its limited...witness the recent trend by the militarys to beef up civilian backpacking load bearers....I use a 6800 CF internal frame.It has all the bells and whisltes,and its tough...Internal frames are the climbing bags...mine was red so I spraypainted it brown and green...came out grea....after the paint drie,spray it with scotchguard

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
You dont need those packs,just make sure you have plenty of six-packs.When the shtf,alcohol will take over as the new currency.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by brindle

I have pleanty stashed(not gonna tote it but I use 1/2 pints...smaller,more barter for the buck,and it stays frsh,even in glass....I get the cheap bourbons,the cheapest oif brandys, and some gin...be worth its weights 10 times over in fresh meat about 3 weeks after a schumer event...and it will act as an atiseptic if need be...and a pain killer....got 3 gallons in 1/5 bottles of Everclear...196 proof...thats or MY stash
edit on 5/21/2011 by Homedawg because: clarity

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sforscott
What packs are all of you guys using for a B.O.B?

I was wondering if you could give me advice on which pack i should go with. I know it comes down to my decision in the end, but i just thought i'd bounce ideas off everyone.

My first choice was an A.L.I.C.E. pack, strictly because it's "battle proven" in a way.

but I don't know if i should go with a different pack

So i started looking and narrowed it down to two.

It's between this one
which is a nice pack, hydration compatible, rifle blocks, and two large compartments (sounds like not enough to me)

and
Th e large A.L.I.C.E. pack

I know it's probably a no brainer to go with the alice pack. but there are a few features that the alice pack lacks. that i was really looking for. But i don't know the size difference between the two.

my pack consists of food, rope for traps, several books on flora and fauna, an e-tool, and items required for preservation, or filtration.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
eberlestock packs

is the only way to go dont cheap out some one them are a little on the expensive side.

but they have many packs for many needs.

you want quality and alot of erbletock parcks are and were being used in afghanistan and iraq.

check them out.

as always you get what you pay for,

hydraytion bladders are in almost all their packs and water is the most important item needed.

my 3 personal favorites are the

gunslinger II
the phantom
g4 operator

and there are smaller packs

www.eberlestock.com...

think long term its not like there is going to be a place where you can buy a replacement pack if you ever need to.
edit on 21-5-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I have a large alice style pack. Me and my children have been using it and my 11 year old uses a smaller version. I have a total weight of 70 lbs. give or take 3-5 lbs. depending on where we go. She has around 20 lbs. give or take. We always have too much of some things but im still kinda young and can move ok with it. There is always something more you could use once you get there, but its mostly for more comfort. The more we go, the less we bring. I recommend watching the entire series of MacGyver. While I might not ever use anything I have seen from it, it did get me thinking out of the box. And it is very entertaining. Whatever you are planning to use, make sure you try it out a couple of times before you count on it to save your life.
edit on 21-5-2011 by eazyriderl_l because: (no reason given)

Also check the local military overstock, or supply and you can haggle price for a great bag at a great price
edit on 21-5-2011 by eazyriderl_l because: to add stuff

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I like the ALICE packs, though if you're in an urban environment any military looking pack will bring unwanted attention to you. I use a waterproofed eagle industry A-3 pack in black, large sized, and for the most part it blends in. The only downside is some prefer an external frame, which I agree as I also have an old jansport framed pack i bought for a song at a local flea market. It is alot more comfortable and i would prefer it in a rural bug out.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I've used the Kelty Redwing 3100 for day trips to 2 day/night trips with great success. VERY sturdy (read as well-built), hydration compatible, 3100 Cubic Inch load capability, and it's a panel loader (about as large as they come) rather than top loader (which I personally find to be a PITA when I need something fast). I have no problem compression strapping on my tent, sleeping bag and mat, and still being able to get to my stuff without having to "disassemble" the whole package. It's an internal frame design, and the aluminum beams are easily moldable to your precise back curvature (did mine over the edge of my kitchen counter - easy-peazy). Because it IS so sturdily made, it does itself weigh a little more than the light nylon fabric packs (go-lite, etc.) but when you buy for the duration, you buy the weight of craftsmanship as well.

See one set of reviews here: www.trailspace.com...

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Everybody has an opinion,just as if you had of asked for a recommendation on a gun,knife,watever....what you must do 1st,n this case,is make a list of what you will be carrying,then get the most durable model that will hold thet cubic inches of your load....the ALICE lg wont carry much more than a 3 day load,if that...my team deploys in a 10 day unsupplied load out...we can run,fight,drink,eat and sleep for 10 days unsupported.....that requires a very lg capacity pack....thats the way to address this issue...a pack that will keep you good for a 2 day campout wont suffice for a 7-10 day living-on-the-run situation

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   
alice packs are all used , and not worth more than 10$, if you were to buy one, they just are not very good,(yes i have one a large 30$ 20 years ago before i knew anything)make sure any pack you have uses a good padded waist belt, you need to take off weight off your shoulders and put it on your hips.Blackwater and Kifaru make great stuff any pack from them is great, wide varity too.check e-bay and amazon for used.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Youll lose that pack the first day,dont waste your money.You can only carry one or two items,that pack will slow you down.The only thing you will have is your fortitude.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Whatever you do, don't buy one of those Voodoo packs!!!

I've already had to take two of them back because the seams rip out in a matter of days. Very poor construction! I was really disappointed because they seemed ideal. You get what you pay for....

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 12:59 AM
link   
In my experience,your best off to avoid the "tactical" stuff and go with brands that are used by outdoorsmen and hard core backpackers. ALICE packs work, but are not the cream of the crop. As was stated already, Eberlestock makes a good pack,although I do feel they are overpriced. Kifaru makes good stuff, and my personal pick would be Mystery Ranch. I currently use a Dana Designs K2, designed by the guy who now owns Mystery Ranch.
I had a really nice internal frame pack before this one,and it was more comfortable overall than the external frame of the K2 until you start to carry significant weight. I also like that fact that you can take of the bag and strap pretty much anything to it. For a hunter like me,that's significant as I can load a lot of meat on it without soiling the pack.
I recommend doing some research on forums for backpackers and especially backpack hunters. The hardcore backpackers are more about super light weight,which is good,while the hunters may be a bit more concerned with being able to carry weight and durability. Either way, you'll get lots of good info.
Don't rule out good used packs.My first good pack was bought used for less than 1/2 price of new,and was in perfectly good condition. Go to a good sporting goods store that specializes in packs and hiking gear,and have yourself measured. Your build and dimensions will have a great impact on which pack you should choose,and you need to know how to set it up and adjust it to fit you. If you have a great pack and it's not set up for you,it'll still hurt you. Doesn't take much time to do this stuff,and it'll make a world of difference once you put a load in it and start walking.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by xxclaro
In my experience,your best off to avoid the "tactical" stuff and go with brands that are used by outdoorsmen and hard core backpackers. ALICE packs work, but are not the cream of the crop. As was stated already, Eberlestock makes a good pack,although I do feel they are overpriced. Kifaru makes good stuff, and my personal pick would be Mystery Ranch. I currently use a Dana Designs K2, designed by the guy who now owns Mystery Ranch.
I had a really nice internal frame pack before this one,and it was more comfortable overall than the external frame of the K2 until you start to carry significant weight. I also like that fact that you can take of the bag and strap pretty much anything to it. For a hunter like me,that's significant as I can load a lot of meat on it without soiling the pack.
I recommend doing some research on forums for backpackers and especially backpack hunters. The hardcore backpackers are more about super light weight,which is good,while the hunters may be a bit more concerned with being able to carry weight and durability. Either way, you'll get lots of good info.
Don't rule out good used packs.My first good pack was bought used for less than 1/2 price of new,and was in perfectly good condition. Go to a good sporting goods store that specializes in packs and hiking gear,and have yourself measured. Your build and dimensions will have a great impact on which pack you should choose,and you need to know how to set it up and adjust it to fit you. If you have a great pack and it's not set up for you,it'll still hurt you. Doesn't take much time to do this stuff,and it'll make a world of difference once you put a load in it and start walking.

Bam! Exactly. I bought an affordable 3400ci pack on amazon and it's still holding up after 2-3 years. I just ordered a 5000ci+ the other day.
Even since Call or Duty came out, people are all about the "tactical". It's a new buzz word. Since you'll be hiking (backpacking) if you're using the pack, why not just look into a pack made for just that? It doesn't need to have the words "Tactial" or "Mil-Spec" attached to it. You'll likely just be getting ripped off with those anyway.
Also, you often get what you pay for, but don't discount a good deal right away. There are some steals to be had from no-name brands out there.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 01:37 AM
link   
The large A.L.I.C.E. pack.

One the Alice pack is the right color.

Most of the trail packs are in stupid colors like orange or blue or other colors that stand out.

Great for becoming a target in a survival situation.

I have a old Alice pack i used when i was mining.

I have packed it with rock, blasting supplies. Used the frame for packing rock drills up hundred of feet of ladders to the area of the mine i was working.

Its been covered with mud, mold, and fungus.. it still has not split a seam or had the buckles rust and become unusable. They were first made for use in the jungles of Vietnam. They do not Rot

Another thing that will be a life saver is a trail/hiking cart/Cargo Carrier.(you will have to camo them.)
www.equinoxtrailers.com...
www.equinoxtrailers.com...
www.mountainbiker.at...
With one of these you will be able to move 3 to 5 times the supplies then you could in just a back pack

These can be pulled or towed behind a Mountain Bike, ATV, Even a motorcycle.

Build your own if you can then its custom to your needs.( build it to fold up for storage)

I built my own 40 years ago and have rebuilt it better a few times over the years and it will carry 3 back packs plus i can carry one on my back.

I have used it to carry mountain climbing gear, mining supplies. a complete 4 inch gold dredge over a mile down to rivers where i was working, extra water when doing 2 to 3 day hikes in the desert. I have also used it behind ATVs for hauling supplies.
Back when i was a firefighter/EMT in a town in the Sierras, Mine was even use to move injured out to a road a couple time until the department built there own.

Get enough cammo net to cover everything if want to hide it while away hunting or just want to hide out.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Sorry im on my iphone and it wont scroll to the bottom of the quote.

The terminator bag looks so legit oh my god theres like five or six hydration compatible pockets

Originally posted by neo96
eberlestock packs

is the only way to go dont cheap out some one them are a little on the expensive side.

but they have many packs for many needs.

you want quality and alot of erbletock parcks are and were being used in afghanistan and iraq.

check them out.

as always you get what you pay for,

hydraytion bladders are in almost all their packs and water is the most important item needed.

my 3 personal favorites are the

gunslinger II
the phantom
g4 operator

and there are smaller packs

www.eberlestock.com...

think long term its not like there is going to be a place where you can buy a replacement pack if you ever need to.
edit on 21-5-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Sforscott

I'm a big Maxpedition fan. They have alot of additions and the quality is unreal.
Link
edit on 24-5-2011 by Digital_Reality because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
I have several types of packs.
ALICE packs, and several tactical packs, along with hunting packs....it depends on what I am doing and where I am going as to the pack that I take.
Some of them are small frameless packs and others have frames....the biggest pack I have is I believe about 5300 cu in from cabelas, with a removeable frame and holds about everything I would need for extended starys in the woods.
I use it for hunting trips...it has enough room for a 2 week stay in the woods with no problem.

Get the pack you need for what your going to use it for...there are thousands of packs out there to choose from....everyone is different, get whats right for you.

new topics

top topics

join