It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study shows electromagnetic effects on consciousness

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   
The first thing I thought of when I saw this ...

Hey, there may be hope for politicians after all.

Even though it is fairly long, and does not have as much detail as I hoped, it still held my interest to the end.

In one experiment, a terminal patient suffering from an incurable disease was exposed to a simulated natural magnetic field, whereupon the patient saw extremely traumatic images in his mind's eye. The patient initially refused to deal with these images, but after further treatment he confronted the images and realized how his life's path had provoked his illness. This realization triggered the healing process in this patient.

www.realitysandwich.com...

If you don't have time to read it today, I would encourage you to save it for later. It may be just what some here at ATS have been looking for.

Sorry about the absence of link,. Some time I get distracted.
edit on 21-5-2011 by hdutton because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Very interesting, I fail to see the link to anything though.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   
interesting topic
is there a link to a source?
thanks for posting

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   
I did a search for the qouted text in the op.
heres one link

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Some times I get distracted.

Edited to place the link:

Big thanks to sprocket2cog.

Sorry 'bout that !

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by hdutton
The first thing I thought of when I saw this ...

Hey, there may be hope for politicians after all.

Even though it is fairly long, and does not have as much detail as I hoped, it still held my interest to the end.

In one experiment, a terminal patient suffering from an incurable disease was exposed to a simulated natural magnetic field, whereupon the patient saw extremely traumatic images in his mind's eye. The patient initially refused to deal with these images, but after further treatment he confronted the images and realized how his life's path had provoked his illness. This realization triggered the healing process in this patient.

If you don't have time to read it today, I would encourage you to save it for later. It may be just what some here at ATS have been looking for.

Sorry about the absence of link,. Some time I get distracted.

sounds like a scientific reasoning behind Aura. This reminds me of my family's belief of pain. They would always tell me that pain was in the mind, whenever I talked about being hurt, so now I have it put into my skull, so I can ignore most pain, mostly the pain of my constant migraines.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
There evidently is an all-encompassing ignorance among the population at large and even present-day brain researchers, that much of the "breaking news" in brain research is decades-old news.

Brain research with electrical stimulation took a hit back in the early 1970s when the alpha craze failed to produced contrary to what we had been lead to believe. However, seeking higher altered states--and obtaining them--was not all hype. There was cutting-edge research done at that time by a few individuals in those years that proved that aspect, but it became almost taboo to do it or even discuss it in learned circles. Much the same situation as happened with '___' and has continued for many decades with hypnosis, UFOs, etc.

What did remain from that work in one form was the proof of the concept of electrical stimulation. But that was from the earliest, more general areas of those investigations, this was confined within the domain of the TENS devices which are still very much in use today but very much controlled, usually perscription-controlled/provided instruments used primarily for pain control.

The hidden aspect of the TENS units is that a sine wave unit calibrated between six Hertz and 14 Hertz could be adapted for brain stimulation. Most of these were 9v battery powered and put a slight electrical charge into the head via a headband. This was just the reverse of the way EEG equipment work.

About the time that digital tuners replaced the old rotary type, these little units, produced by little outfits and backroom developers, could be purchased for two or three hundred dollars. They were safe in that they could not electrocute a person if one developed an internal short, but still, the FDA didn't like the concept for one reason or another and banned them in about 1980.

As a fairly new TM meditator in those days, and having one of the (legal) devices in those days that I used in conjunction with my TM efforts. I, after only a few months but many hours, was able to take myself into deep meditation. I do claim, and I know it sounds outrageous to traditional meditators, that I did achieve the sense of the Oneness of Everything, in other words, enlightenment.

So that is why that I claim that much of this new data on brain stimulation is old, if not forgotten, news.

If enlightenment is artificially induced or stimulated, the downside is that the experiencer may not have a background upon which to place what has been glimpsed. No tradition of belief, or even a belief in God is necessary to explain what you find in enlightenment via that short circuit. That can be dangerous to some seekers, I suppose, but the up-side is the cyrstal clear realization that all religious matters and traditions fall away as unnecessary, total inventions of humans to explain the unexplainable that is free to one and all without a single priest, edifice or penny paid. (Personal opinions may vary according to use.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Aliensun

I'm just curious, and I would guess showing my own ignorance on this subject, but is electric current induction different from the electro-magnetic fields as was mentioned in the article.

It would seem to me fairly different.

Like the difference in holding a magnet in you hand and sticking your finger in a wall socket !!

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by hdutton
Like the difference in holding a magnet in you hand and sticking your finger in a wall socket !!
A better analogy would be holding one of those transformer "bricks" that plug into the wall in your hand, versus sticking your fingers in the wall socket. The transformer operates on electromagnetic induction. The electricity on the other side of the transformer is just as real, it just has a different voltage. So while there are differences, there are similarities also between electromagnetic induction and directly connecting to the current. Transformers are specially designed to optimize the effects of induction.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   
This research is what makes 2012 so interesting. The affect of the magnetic field on our brains might bring welcomed (or unwelcome) enlightenment to the masses. I can imagine most people going absolutely crazy, unable to cope with the extreme affects on their consciousness.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aliensun
The hidden aspect of the TENS units is that a sine wave unit calibrated between six Hertz and 14 Hertz could be adapted for brain stimulation. .... They were safe in that they could not electrocute a person if one developed an internal short, but still, the FDA didn't like the concept for one reason or another and banned them in about 1980.
Well they're not actually banned, right?

www.webtfg.com...

In the U.S. the sales of TENS devices (stands for transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation) is regulated by the FDA and a presciption from a medical professional is required to purchase one commercially. They cost anywhere from $40 on up. They all work basically the same. The more expensive units have advanced features like dual-channels, programmable functions, a digital readout, etc. They have been around for many years and are used by doctors, therapists, chiropractors, rehab clinics, college and professional sports organizations and individuals...

I found you can locate all the parts for the TENS unit from any good electronics supply house. Mouser Electonics is one source that I often use. Purchased together they did not cost me more than $10 plus a little time to construct. The power transformer is connected backwards to form a step-up circuit. As to the electrode pads, they are not FDA regulated and I'm able to buy all I need without a prescription from any number of online sources.
So you can build your own for $10 and the FDA doesn't ban that.

As far as I can tell, there were too many companies making too many unsubstantiated claims about what they could do, so maybe the FDA regulation is partly to keep people from getting taken in to spend hundreds of dollars on something they can make at home for $10? Apparently the maker has to demonstrate that the unit does what they claim it does to get FDA approval; that wasn't happening before the FDA stepped in, people could claim anything they wanted.

I might build one just to play around with it, it looks pretty easy.

edit on 22-5-2011 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
It makes sense considering that the brain itself is electrical in nature.

Simply look at the EEG or Electroencephalography which essentially measures the impulses within the brain.

Very similar in the way in which we analyze and diagnose electrical circuits used in your computer.

Pain is in the mind ?

Yes, it is fed to the brain via our nervous system...essentially an electrical communication circuit.

If you look at how paralysis occurs, it's is when the circuits from the brain have been severed and no longer able to transmit signals to and from the brain to the body's appendages.

Not unlike a taillight on your car/truck from operating due to an open circuit.

It's been proven that high EMF (Electro Magnetic Fields) influence the brain.

It makes sense and only reflects the lack of knowledge and understanding that the general public possesses when it comes to how our brain and nervous system functions.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   
why am i not surprised? isn't it common knowledge that we are electromagnetic beings in nature? stands to reason then that we are greatly influenced by electromagnetics.

top topics

join