It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If yer not raptured yet, can ya help me out with a wine cork problem?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Don"t laugh, but I've ended up using a long screw and power drill. Might be enough to keep cork from spinning. Could be a two person job though.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   
When you go to the Store to buy a new opener?

Here's a tip: Take the bottle back with you and get a new one! It's defective. No big deal.

It you want to get REAL crazy..when you exchange the bottle,bring FOIL with you..have the staff OPEN the bottle for you. Put the cork BACK IN the bottle. WRAP in foil.. Put in TRUNK of your car..DRIVE home..

Scotty: Beam Me Up!

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   

TextCrown caps and screw tops offer alternatives; another modern solution is the use of synthetic corks made from plastics and other non-cork materials. This is an interesting development, and it's coming into increasing use for less expensive wines, in which it seems to be a perfectly adequate alternative. There are several commercial brands, some of which use a cork-colored product as protective camouflage, while others use bright, bold colors in a sort of reverse-snobbery approach.

It's going to take a lot of experimentation before the wine industry can be certain that synthetics, crown caps and screw tops have the durability to protect wine during long-term storage; and it's going to take a lot of marketing before wine lovers give up our attachment to the traditional cork. But I wouldn't bet that the old-fashioned cork won't eventually go the way of the LP phonograph record.

Source

Well I have to say I'm going to check out the cork type on any wines I buy in the future. This experience has made me appreciate the wine in a box bag type of presentation on inexpensive wines. And right now, screw cap is more acceptable to me than that type of cork.

Thanks for your help everyone. I think I'll let the problem bottle rest for a few hours before even trying it again.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by wedidgothacked

Wow, you guys are thinking. And (sigh of jealousy here) you deserve to be raptured tonight.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   
I have
1, A bottle of reserve port with a pull out cork
2, A bottle of Irish Wiskey with a screw cap
3, A bottle of Pinot Nior, with a screw cap
4, Cheescake
5, Cous Cous and Southern Frid Chicken
6, 20 Marlboros
7, Various confections
6, ATS

I am gettign well raptured!!!!
edit on 21/5/2011 by JakiusFogg because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
The problem is most likely caused by the type of opener you were using. I used to work in a wine specialty store so I hope this helps you out in any situation you may find yourself in with a bottle of wine.

The "winged" style of opener you described usually causes problems even with a traditional cork because of a lack of leverage on the bottle itself.

I would suggest to ANYONE a "waiter's friend", "wine key", or "sommelier knife". These are just different names for the same tool. Pictures of and How to use a Waiter's Friend

The benefit it provides is leverage against the bottle, giving a much straighter line of extraction for that pesky cork. It really is a lot more comfortable to use and I have far less problems with corks breaking or not coming loose.

And they're the same price as that winged one you have. And they have a tiny knife to help you cut of that foil.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join