It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If yer not raptured yet, can ya help me out with a wine cork problem?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 06:35 AM
link   
It seemed innocent enough when I went into the wine shop and bought a bottle of Rose ******, a wine I used to enjoy with white meats and sometimes just for sipping. I have a standard type corkscrew wherein two side handles rise as you screw in into the cork. Then ideally you just apply pressure on the handles and the cork rises out of the bottle.

Only this wine bottle has an artificial cork and I'm not familiar with them. For those of you who aren't either, it's quite a bit stiffer than cork, kind of like a stiff rubber plastic. In any case, I had a bit of a problem centering the screw as I twisted it, but I went ahead anyway. It went down for about a third of the way, and then the faux cork just revolved around in the bottle, too tight to come out, too loose for me to get the corkscrew in any further. I did everything I could to get the screw in more, but I couldn't. Then I tried to remove it, but could not. I can't dig at it, and I can't cut the little bit that's sticking up from the bottle because it's covered by the ring of the corkscrew.

I got so frustrated that I went on the Ackerman cork site and dropped them an email asking for help. I received a letter back from them and guess what? They will assist me, but first I need to give them the batch lot number which is supposedly on the outside metallic covering that I threw in the garbage (and was picked up earlier in the week.) I wrote back to customer support to tell them politely that their reply in no way addressed my problem, but rather focused on theirs.

(The nerve thinking that customer support means helping them with their problem first! (Yeah, well I'm a little bummed out that I wasn't selected for rapture, ya know?)

Seriously, is anyone on ATS familiar with these false corks? Has this type of thing ever happened to anyone here? Any suggestions as to getting this thing out other than breaking the bottle? Any suggestion for getting the corkscrew out?

Thanks for any suggestions and comments
edit on 21-5-2011 by aboutface because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 06:42 AM
link   
The only thing i can think of is to knock the cork into the bottle with a screwdriver or something.

Or get down the pub
good luck.

Oh, and dont feel bad. I havent heard any reports of rapture. No one worth saving i guess.

edit on 21/5/2011 by MoreThanFreeMan because: Rapture

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 06:47 AM
link   
reply to post by aboutface

Explanation: Carefully push the fuax cork into the bottle a bit to loosen its grip on the inside of the bottle neck and then slowly remove... I do not recommend pushing it fully into the bottle with the corkscrew device still attatched but if that happens it will only be more fiddly not impossible to retrieve the wine from inside the bottle.

Personal Disclosure: I hope that helps... Please keep us updated.

edit on 21-5-2011 by OmegaLogos because: Edited to add a space between 2 words

edit on 21-5-2011 by OmegaLogos because: Edited to remove a space inside a word
soz

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Yep, push it in.

Or use an industrial water jet cutter to slice the top of the bottom off!

Probably best to push it in thou, Being rudder it won't contaminate the wine. But, you could just decant it should be so concerned.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 06:50 AM
link   
You could maybe start a new hole in the cork with the opener. Just start over, basically. Maybe that will work. Also, if you get it out, to re-cork, turn the cork upside down. It seems to fit easier. BTW, still here, but it's only 650 am here

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 06:52 AM
link   
reply to post by OmegaLogos

Thanks for the suggestion, but the corkscrew is stuck in this false cork. I cant get it in further or unscrew it.

So you weren't selected either, huh?
edit on 21-5-2011 by aboutface because: spelling

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by aboutface

Thanks for the suggestion, but the corkscrew is stuck in this false cork. I cant get it in further ot unscrew it.

OK... just try twisting backwards WITHOUT putting pressure on the handles. Those kind work better, I've found, if you just let the handles alone and the handles will start going up, then when the corkscrew is in, push the handle down. Might work.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Just break the top off like they do in the movies no sense in saving any for tomorrow. And the rapture isn't supposed to happen until 6pm local time. Apparently rapture like peanut butter takes time to spread.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 06:58 AM
link   

OK so you are hald way in and you cannot unscrew it.

That suggests that the screw is well stuck, but that the cork itself is free moving as it is spinning.

So instead of trying to use the arms. just put the bottle between your legs grab the corkscrew by the body and just pull the bugger out.

Be careful not to smack yourself in the head

More DANGEROUS is to slip a thin knife down the side to let air in to break the vacuum seal. But THIS METHOD RESULTS IN 000'S OF HOSPITAL TRIPS A YEAR.

IF YOU TRY IT, IT'S YOUR RESPONSIBILITY NOT MINE.
edit on 21/5/2011 by JakiusFogg because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 07:03 AM
link   

OK... just try twisting backwards WITHOUT putting pressure on the handles. Those kind work better, I've found, if you just let the handles alone and the handles will start going up, then when the corkscrew is in, push the handle down. Might work.
reply to post by maybee

It won't budge. It's like concrete.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by aboutface

reply to post by maybee

It won't budge. It's like concrete.

Hum... well, maybe try turning the bottle on it's side a little. There could be some air pressure and if the cork is loose enough spin, then maybe that will work. Don't worry, we're gonna get that darn cork out. OK

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Oh this has happened to me a million times!
Frustrating to say the least.
Easy to do after I've tried a ton of different techniques. While easy they are extremely important to gettin to that delicious joy juice, so follow my instruction carefully!!
All ya gotta do in this situation is

***Raptured***

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 07:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Numb2itall

Good job us pagans are here to sort out the world corkscrew problems. Even with the dea banging on my window I am here for you. because i know it doesn't exist.!!

Here is what you do to guarantee success

1, Get you arse to the store
2, Buy a good bottle with a screw cap
3, Go home
4, Open
5 Imbibe
6, Have another go at bottle 1.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   
OK... find a small knife. Put the point of the knife in cork as far from the corkscrew as you can. With one hand, hold the knife in place (that will help steady the cork and keep it from turning) You'll have to hold the knife and bottle at the same time, THEN try reversing/twisting backwards on the corkscrew, not using the handles. PS if you have another person there, this might work better, too.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Explanation: It seems a little bit of HEAT might go a long way OK!

Hold the cork end of the bottle under the hottest tap water from your kitchen faucet for a minute, and the cork should then come out with the customary tug of the corkscrew.

Personal Disclosure: Yes I know that sounds insane!
But it should work.. dont cool it of with water or ice... just leave it up right and uncorked for a while to naturally cool down as you dont want shattered glass everywhere!

Give it at least 20mins to cool down by itself before pouring any wine OK! And wrap the bottle neck in a towel wehn you go to pull out the cork. DONT BURN YOURSELF OK!

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Aint science fun.

And practical too!

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by maybee

TextOK... find a small knife. Put the point of the knife in cork as far from the corkscrew as you can. With one hand, hold the knife in place (that will help steady the cork and keep it from turning) You'll have to hold the knife and bottle at the same time, THEN try reversing/twisting backwards on the corkscrew, not using the handles. PS if you have another person there, this might work better, too.

Ok, I tried it with the knife. Besides almost cutting myself, the knife interferes with the screw part
Had it on its side too. Still no luck. Appreciate your help.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Well, I did the heat experiment and guess what? I got the corkscrew out! There's about a half inch of cork out of the bottle. So thanks!

Now I'll wait for it to cool down, but should I bother to try it again? That baby's been jammed for two days. I'm really leery about that type of cork.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   

If you can't open a wine cork than you don't deserve salvation.
See you at 6:30 PM your time zone tonight, after you get LEFT BEHIND.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   
srew in a self threading screww about half way in , then use claw hammer or pliers to pull it out

top topics

<<   2 >>

join