It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rapture is not occuring as scheduled!

page: 27
<< 24  25  26    28  29 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by romanmel
reply to post by timelike

Atheism is a fundamentalist religion with all the negative elements and nothing positive. That is why atheists swarm about in Christian circles casting aspersions. It is part of their warpped doctrine of negativism. They have nothing to live for except to cast stones at the believers.

If some people make stupid cretinous predictions, then other people have the right to challenge this crap. What you call warped doctrine of negatism, I call scientific inquiry guided by objective rational thought. If it were not for 'your warped doctrine of negatism' mankind would still be cowering in caves, or burning old ladies as witches.
edit on 22-5-2011 by timelike because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by alphabetaone

Originally posted by timelike
Religion is just an Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and is fully treatable.

Actually, it's more like a cult. The same people who share cultish behavior, tend to be devout religious fanatics as well.

But I will disagree with you on your last point....I do not believe it is fully treatable... the human mind won't allow for the "god" to NOT exist.

I disagree I know many people who entertain the idea quite happily, myself included.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Atheism is a fundamentalist religion with all the negative elements and nothing positive. That is why atheists swarm about in Christian circles casting aspersions. It is part of their warpped doctrine of negativism. They have nothing to live for except to cast stones at the believers.

Agreed, I am agnostic. I do not discount the existence of God as there is no evidence either way. For me this is a separate issue from religion which is clearly little more than a man made controlling device.

You know, I feel the same way about most all "religion" as it exists today. The Christian is mis-led by most "religious" churches today. The scriptures define them well: They "having a form of Godliness but denying the power thereof."

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Religion is just an Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and is fully treatable.

Actually, it's more like a cult. The same people who share cultish behavior, tend to be devout religious fanatics as well.

But I will disagree with you on your last point....I do not believe it is fully treatable... the human mind won't allow for the "god" to NOT exist.

I disagree I know many people who entertain the idea quite happily, myself included.

As do I....but sheer numbers would be against us in believing it to be treatable.

If science, mathematics, geophysics aren't enough medicine to treat it, I find it hard to believe that Zoloft will.
edit on 22-5-2011 by alphabetaone because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   

You know, I feel the same way about most all "religion" as it exists today. The Christian is mis-led by most "religious" churches today. The scriptures define them well: They "having a form of Godliness but denying the power thereof."

Always a problem if you insist on living by a 2000 year old out of date fairy story. That 'God' should demand perfection from his imperfect creations makes me thankful that if such a being exists, I would not have to spend any time with it.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Dear Faithful and those awaiting The Rapture. Yesterday's delay was due to a crashed server containing the names in The Book of Life. The Rapture was rescheduled to 0259 May 22 Easter Island time. It wasn't until after we realized after the Rapture that the files containing all the names in The Book of Life were corrupted. We sincerely apologize that this error means you will have to ride it out with the rest of the heathen.

For those who are praying for rescue. A prayer hotline has been set up to help answer your concerns and status of departure. Due to the overload of our system, most calls are being diverted to our new Prayer Answering service located in India.

Thank You and Sincerest Regards,

Arc Angel Gabriel Chief Operations Officer
The Rapture INC.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Always a problem if you insist on living by a 2000 year old out of date fairy story. That 'God' should demand perfection from his imperfect creations makes me thankful that if such a being exists, I would not have to spend any time with it.

Well, my God doesn't "demand perfection". He forgives me my sins, past, present and future. I am no different than any other man. There would be no hope for anyone if God demanded perfection.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Well, my God doesn't "demand perfection".

Let's re-write that, because I'm sure you're right....those words never surfaced.

How does this strike you instead?

He/She demands unattainable goals from creatures he was alleged to create.....the All-Seeing / All-Knowing certainly would be under no allusions as to what his/her own creation is capable and incapable of, no?

That said, if "man were created in his image", shouldn't he/she have gotten it right before releasing the final product? Had he/she there would never have been a need in the first place to demand anything at ALL from them, they would operate as desired.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Well, my God doesn't "demand perfection".

Let's re-write that, because I'm sure you're right....those words never surfaced.

How does this strike you instead?

He/She demands unattainable goals from creatures he was alleged to create.....the All-Seeing / All-Knowing certainly would be under no allusions as to what his/her own creation is capable and incapable of, no?

That said, if "man were created in his image", shouldn't he/she have gotten it right before releasing the final product? Had he/she there would never have been a need in the first place to demand anything at ALL from them, they would operate as desired.

I don't think I could have put this any better myself. But it is clear such words will be wasted on those who wish to blindly believe in such nonsense.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by alphabetaone

Why is God like he is? I think that is what I get from your remark. My answer is I don't know. I don't need to know everything about Him to serve Him. I have never "seen" electricity, but I know it is useful and can see the wonderful results it provides. I accept electricity, by faith even though I have never "seen" it. Same with God.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by romanmel

You prove my point...we call it "prosoliting". Attempting to change ones religious beliefs. The non-belief of atheists IS a religion in every way except offering a reason for living.

I would more lean towards labeling (how I hate labels!) myself agnostic because I truly feel there's just no way to really know. But why do we need to have a reason for living? Isn't just being alive, being allowed the chance to be here as human beings, enough? I'll never understand why some people need more than that but that's okay and I'm happy with who I am. I don't need an answer as to why I'm here and I don't need a higher "purpose" to be here. My purpose for being here is to care for my family and to be kind to others. All I can do, all any of us can do, is live our lives according to how we feel we should live them. If people feel they need a god, then that's their thing. I guess I'm lucky in that I really don't need a god to judge me. I do enough of that for myself.

I live my life every day knowing that I don't know, I may never know and that I have absolutely no right to tell others what I think they should know.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   

You're ignorant and immature. Not believing in fairy tales is not a "religion". You dont believe in unicorns? Guess thats a "negative religion" then. Dont believe in fairies? Religion. Dont believe in bigfoot? Religion. Dont believe in the old hag ghost? You negative religous guy you.
Thats what youre saying. Christianity and any other religion have NO more proof than any of those other fairy tales that were "believed" in by "believers" over various points in history. Just because we dont believe everything we read in a book that could have been written by anyone, does not make us some religious organization.

Christians calling atheists "religious" is just a futile attempt at trying to make everyone seem as prone to beliefs with no evidence as you. I'm pretty sure more atheists, or at least myself, would gladly believe in a god if presented with actual proof like you know,, him showing up for once. I've never ever heard of a person or thing that turned out to be real who demanded to be believed in and even worshiped but refuses to show him/herself, seems pretty immature and silly a notion to me. How would that type of thing hold up in a court of law? Lol. How would you like it if youre president was not elected and you never saw or heard him ever nor had any proof he was even a real person, only read about all these new unfair laws and policies that other people claim he wrote?

Anyway back on point, most atheists of course DO NOT go around with their sole goal in life trying to harm religious people as you suggested in your moronic post. Nor are we "negative" people, just because we dont believe what you do. Of course there are some assholes who dont believe in god just like there are plenty of assholes who believe in god, we're all just animals afterall. So ironic that you go on the attack and then paint it like atheists are all negative evil doers out to get all christians. Thats just the type of black and white, us vs them, ridiculous brainwashing that many christian churches/teachers inflict on their followers (not all). I only even talk about silly religion when ignorant fools like you attack me, you attack I respond.
edit on 22-5-2011 by darkest4 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by CoherentlyConfused

I applaud your values of family and understanding of others. Those values are good. I wish you well in your journey through life.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Why is God like he is? I think that is what I get from your remark. My answer is I don't know. I don't need to know everything about Him to serve Him. I have never "seen" electricity, but I know it is useful and can see the wonderful results it provides. I accept electricity, by faith even though I have never "seen" it. Same with God.

No, you're a little bit off there. For me to question why God is the way he/she is, would be a concession that I believe him/her to be factual. So no, this is not my question.

In fact, my question goes far deeper than that but you do need to pay attention to get at the core of it... the question truly intimates that one with such immense power would not make those mistakes so how can one exist? The short answer: not at all.

I'm not trying to get you to believe or disbelieve anything, carry on as usual....simply stating that your assessment of atheism is skewed.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Humm. That my "assessment of atheism is skewed" I will plead guilty. But I'll learn to live with that. My point is that I don't know why God is as He is. What may seem to be a contradiciton may in fact be a lack of data on my part, since I readily admit I am not all knowing. My experience with God has as much to do with the spirit as the intellect.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by nowhere2hide
WHAT???
That makes absolutely no sense. Atheism is by deffinition, the rejection of a belief in any god or deity and all the crap that goes with it. It cannot be in any way described a fundamentalist.

Sure it makes no sense, sure it is blatently stupid but christians don't seem to notice since they all seem to buy into that pathetic excuse for an argument. But please note what they are really doing. They are attempting to denigrate atheism by calling it a religious faith. They want you to think atheism is bad so they equate it to something bad. In doing so they subconsciously expose the fact that even they know faith is harmful and bogus.
edit on 22-5-2011 by Lilitu because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Your argument so very flawed and lacks any logic at all. Electricity is not a secret, it is not magic; it's generation, transmission and use are easily understood. Moreover electricity obeys set physical rules. God however cannot be tested, it obeys no rules and while it may be ok with you to accept what you're told, that doesn't do for many thinking inquiring people.

The fact that you don't seem to understand even basic scientific concepts like electricity is endemic of religion: you choose to think that some mystical being will provide the answers and that the Universe is a big unfathomable thing understood only by God and his chosen few. In willfully agreeing to be ignorant you are blinding yourself to the true wonder of our Universe. It does not require prayer or rituals to understand it, just a little thought and observation.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Well I am back after a long breakfast and coffe,

Yes, I am also agnostic, but in my case I came from a strong catholic mother and a seven day adventist father, the irony, I never understood why I had to sit in church most of my weekends because I had to honor Catholics and seventh day adventist.

What can that do to a young person, I decided to research and come to the conclusion that I didn't need a middle man to understand the hoax behind religion.

To this day my father never had forgotten me for deviating from Jesus, he actually was waiting on the rapture also this weekend.

But I respect his believes and that is what it counts.

I always seen organized religion like any other enterprise or corporation to feed on their followers pockets while giving them false hope of salvation, a salvation that actually belong to everybody to believe as they wish for free.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Blaming all Christians for sectarian delusions is not justified.

Myself, I am an agnostic, hoping that there is a heart in the Universe. Maybe there isn't, but after studying these matters for a coulpe of decades now, I can say one thing: A belief and a faith is perfectly legitimate and reasonable, but so is atheism and agnosticism.

Yes, some religious people are delusional and paranoid and loudmouthed, but there are a couple of people like that in these boards too, religious or not.

Even without that kind of insanity it is obvious that humans have immense problems with spiritual matters. some manages to be just faithful, pious and good people, others need Control (and so have very little faith) and thus invariably makes a more or less bizarre "system" out of it. Many interprets "images" and symbols far too literally, and so we have a long-bearded "Father" in "The Sky".

But: Christianity at it's best is certainly not worth bashing, it is not unreasonable and is about the most important things, and atheism, to me, does not seem to offer anything like the best versions of Christianity.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Its happening

top topics

<< 24  25  26    28  29 >>

join