It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

The Enlightened Ego - Solving the Problems of Awakening pt.1

page: 9
101
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I agree with everything you wrote. Im 28 years old and just starting my journey to become enlightened. Its kind of hard becuase im not around anyone that shares my common interest so i cant speak to them about my meditations and energy that i feel. But everything you wrote is exactly what i beleive.




posted on May, 23 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by filosophia
Enlightened has a positive connotation, and ego usually has a negative connotation, so an "enlightened ego" is a contradiction, like a permanent impermanence, an immortal mortal, so there is a problem of communication here.

The Self is not ego, it is pure consciousness or pure mind. If you say enlightened ego, then you are using ego in a positive connotation otherwise you are using enlightenment in a negative connotation.

The simple fact is you are speaking of a "hindrance" and thus you are speaking of the ego. The "enlightened" adjective is not redundant but damaging to the idea you are presenting as it is an antonym and not a synonym for ego.

So if the "enlightened ego" is a bad thing, a hindrance, in what way is enlightenment a hindrance? If it is, it is not enlightenment.

Enlightenment means a state of light, or to (en)light. This clearly is a reference to meditation's ability to reveal the inner light within the mind. The Buddha spoke of gaining his enlightenment after he meditated for 7 days under the Bohdi tree, that was the point of pure awakening.

So in conclusion, an enlightened ego or an awakened ego is not a bad thing, otherwise it is using the term enlightenment in the wrong connotation, a negative one and not a positive one.

So, I'll await the arguments as to why enlightenment is a bad thing.


You make some great points, but maybe missed what the intentions of the OP are. The "Enlightened Ego" is indeed a contradiction, or an oxymoron. But more than that it is a way to describe an illusion of becoming awakened. When we feel superior over others because we believe we are awakened or enlightened it is nothing but another form of the "dream state" that is constructed by the ego.

So I see why you would dislike the usage of the words Ego and Enlightenment being grouped together in this manner.

Of course enlightenment is not a hindrance. The hindrance is when the ego tricks us into believing we are enlightened or awakened. I only felt the "Enlightened Ego" was a good way of labeling this illusion or belief, maybe it was not. Anyways, that is not what is important, that is just a term, the rest of the message is what is important. In fact, what lays between the lines of the message is what truly is important.

Thanks for stopping by Filosophia (love for wisdom)!

Peace friend.



posted on May, 23 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by 1Starman

Originally posted by kidohno

Originally posted by 1Starman
Now try tell everyone here who is trying to show the others that they are intelligent in the way they comment in the threads that it is not Ego that they are displaying.
edit on 23-5-2011 by 1Starman because: (no reason given)


I think people should be allowed to give their say without being branded egocentric. I don't think the majority of posters here are speaking thru ego.


Let us ask you what is ego? Give us some examples
You are mistaken ! We are not accusing them of being egocentric.We are merely pointing out that that line of thought is an example of what ego is.
edit on 23-5-2011 by 1Starman because: (no reason given)


May I ask who you speak of when you say "us" and "we"? Why are your thoughts not arising from the ego, but 'ours' are? Why are your words more important than 'ours'? Can we all not try to help each other? Why must one of us take the position of authority and shout down to others that they are wrong? Are you a truly awakened one? I know I am not.

Peace friend.



posted on May, 23 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by dyllels

Originally posted by DreamerOracle
.... the Enlightened Ego (excited child) took over except it isn't enlightened it is the opposite, it is the thing that bars the way. You cannot get rid of ego it is part of you, control it and be aware of it.


I am very familiar with that 'excited child' feeling you describe. I feel like sometimes it is holding me back. A part of me would like to, in a way, boast to myself that I went through those experiences. Its sort of like a self-affirmation, or a pat on the back. I'm trying to steer my mind away from that way of thinking. Is there a specific thought process or method you followed to try and to calm down that excited, 'enlightened ego'?

Thanks for sharing your story.


The built in sense of knowing what is right and wrong.....Enlightened Ego(oxymoron) "Pride" simple and more often than not lands you in Negative Karma. Find something that keeps you grounded... i.e gardening, reading or spending time with those you love.
More importantly only share your experiences with those that wish to know. Never share without being asked first, it's being humble and not overzealous.
Finally within meditation practice, practice, practice, the more it happens....like I said before, the Ego is an excited child.....they get bored easily. Eventually bliss becomes uninterupted. Never enter meditation with a goal, just do it.
It is in the blissful states that sometimes we reach our teachers and the self. Just because it happens you shouldn't expect it to happen every time you go into meditation .... Or because I have told you what has happened to me....It has to come naturally.



edit on 23-5-2011 by DreamerOracle because: errors



posted on May, 24 2011 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions
Okay, I'm going to try this one more time for the slow, ignorant fools on this thread.

YOU'RE NARCISSISTS, SOCIOPATHS, OR PSYCHOPATHS

You're lining up pretty much perfectly with the terms...to a T.

You don't even realize that your own perspectives are infantile...

This is just garbage on this thread.

Have fun in la-la land!



I could link dozens of these if you really want me to...
edit on 23-5-2011 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)


Wow there smoky! Whats crawled into your breaches and given you the twitchy fingers on a thread which a bunch of people are talking about nothing much, and contemplating what constitutes the finer points of talking about nothing. If it's garbage then put it in the garbage tray and move along.

But alas your here for a reason, and me thinks it's because your having no fun in la-la land. So oh so rational of rationalists tell us your rationalization of this thing called ego and an enlightenment without linking to things that other people wrote down. Whats you opinion on it? And use more then a few words such as narcissists or psychopaths or sociopaths. You know since were a little on the slow side we need a little more definition, examples and maybe even descriptions of what the hell your talking about.



posted on May, 24 2011 @ 02:49 AM
link   
reply to post by DreamerOracle
 



More importantly only share your experiences with those that wish to know. Never share without being asked first, it's being humble and not overzealous


Better yet, don't ever share your inner experiences with anyone, provided that you are willing to deny your ego to such an extent.



posted on May, 24 2011 @ 02:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by mysticnoon
reply to post by DreamerOracle
 



More importantly only share your experiences with those that wish to know. Never share without being asked first, it's being humble and not overzealous


Better yet, don't ever share your inner experiences with anyone, provided that you are willing to deny your ego to such an extent.


The urge to help others definitely arises from the ego, however, there are those who are fearless enough to leave 'home', to try and help others, knowing they can easily find their way back. Pertaining to this notion of both of yours, what would you say about Christ, Buddha, Ramana Maharshi... or any of the other awakened who all have tried to share their inner experiences?



posted on May, 24 2011 @ 03:41 AM
link   
May I ask who you speak of when you say "us" and "we"? Why are your thoughts not arising from the ego, but 'ours' are? Why are your words more important than 'ours'? Can we all not try to help each other? Why must one of us take the position of authority and shout down to others that they are wrong? Are you a truly awakened one? I know I am not.

Peace friend.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We are a few individuals who are on the path to discarding our human properties.We do have ego's and we try to suppress and turn off our physical human mind and thoughts and manifest our higher consciousness(self) most of the time and as long as we are able to in the light of the needs of the physical body in the material world.You are the one who thinks that our words are more important than yours.(We have Not in any way given the impression that our words are the authoritative one)
We see that you are going about it the wrong way.You are trying to deal with the ego directly when the solution has to be base on another process to remove all traces of the ego.In the human form,with the physical mind and thoughts influenced by the material world,it is impossible to stop the ego from surfacing.
What does it matter if we are awaken or not,or if we are enlighten or not. It has no meaning to us in the universe.The pursuit of enlightenment is actually invented by man and it is something that has been misunderstood.
It does not matter what we are,as we shall cease to exist individually in the near future and there shall be no traces of what we have done .



posted on May, 24 2011 @ 04:42 AM
link   
There really is no such thing as 'enlightenment', it's just another egotistical label. There are just different levels of spiritual understanding. Hence, they'll always be another level of knowledge or soul growth that can be achieved.



posted on May, 24 2011 @ 05:20 AM
link   
Please do some research ! Following the paths that has been dreamt up by mankind will lead you round and round in circles.The meaning of enlightenment is the most misunderstood in the material dimension.



posted on May, 24 2011 @ 05:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by 1Starman
Please do some research ! Following the paths that has been dreamt up by mankind will lead you round and round in circles.The meaning of enlightenment is the most misunderstood in the material dimension.


So I'm guessing your not from this material dimension then?

edit on 24-5-2011 by starborn because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-5-2011 by starborn because: (no reason given)



posted on May, 24 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by LifeIsEnergy
 




In other words, if you find yourself feeling superior over others because you have had some sort of a realization or glimpse at awakening, you have done nothing but “enlightened your ego”, not your sense of Self. And that is just another form of the “dream state”, so in fact, you are no more wise or awakened than them.


Star and Flag for a great post from a truly enlightened being. You are right too, some, when they are filled with knowledge, and come to certain truths about commonly held beliefs, let their egos get the best of them, and begin to feel superior to others. This is a big mistake for anyone seeking knowledge. First, the ego must be defeated. Human ego is the downfall of mankind, if you don't believe me, look at the egos of the religious crowd. They feel superior to all of the "sinners," "heathens," "pagans," and anyone else that does not follow their path. Same with self styled Sages. Lose the ego, you will truly become enlightened.



posted on May, 24 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by 1Starman
 


Enlightenment was not invented by man.
Enlightenment can not be taught, it happens or it doesn't.

Enlightenment is what we are, it's just some have not realized yet.
The mind made structure was implanted by man. It is this structure that veils the light.



posted on May, 24 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by LifeIsEnergy
The urge to help others definitely arises from the ego, however, there are those who are fearless enough to leave 'home', to try and help others, knowing they can easily find their way back. Pertaining to this notion of both of yours, what would you say about Christ, Buddha, Ramana Maharshi... or any of the other awakened who all have tried to share their inner experiences?


That they exercised well intended futility. You can't share what you don't possess. Enlightenment isn't something that can be passed on as removing ego removes any and all illusions pertaining to ownership. They had nothing to share other than ego perceptions. So the why is easier to answer I believe. Because they believed genuinely that they had nothing better to do based on their personality type. I'd bet my life that there are many more who never told anyone of their experience understanding that any attempt to do so is useless because the path is never easier or harder. It is simply a path.

Btw, how fearless is it to seek a path believing you know you can easily find your way back.

Namaste

edit on 24/5/11 by TravelerintheDark because: addition



posted on May, 24 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by 1Starman

We are a few individuals who are on the path to discarding our human properties.We do have ego's and we try to suppress and turn off our physical human mind and thoughts and manifest our higher consciousness(self) most of the time and as long as we are able to in the light of the needs of the physical body in the material world.You are the one who thinks that our words are more important than yours.(We have Not in any way given the impression that our words are the authoritative one)
We see that you are going about it the wrong way.You are trying to deal with the ego directly when the solution has to be base on another process to remove all traces of the ego.In the human form,with the physical mind and thoughts influenced by the material world,it is impossible to stop the ego from surfacing.
What does it matter if we are awaken or not,or if we are enlighten or not. It has no meaning to us in the universe.The pursuit of enlightenment is actually invented by man and it is something that has been misunderstood.
It does not matter what we are,as we shall cease to exist individually in the near future and there shall be no traces of what we have done .


Hmmm... sounds interesting. Good luck with all that.


Peace friend.
edit on 24-5-2011 by LifeIsEnergy because: (no reason given)



posted on May, 24 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by TravelerintheDark

That they exercised well intended futility. You can't share what you don't possess. Enlightenment isn't something that can be passed on as removing ego removes any and all illusions pertaining to ownership. They had nothing to share other than ego perceptions. So the why is easier to answer I believe. Because they believed genuinely that they had nothing better to do based on their personality type. I'd bet my life that there are many more who never told anyone of their experience understanding that any attempt to do so is useless because the path is never easier or harder. It is simply a path.

Btw, how fearless is it to seek a path believing you know you can easily find your way back.

Namaste

edit on 24/5/11 by TravelerintheDark because: addition


Good points. I agree there are many more who have never shared their experiences, knowing the truth cannot be given to anyone. I'm not sure I would say they did what they did because they felt they had nothing better to do, but I see what your saying. Maybe that is why Jesus was so misunderstood and why Buddha gave over 84,000 different teachings. And your right, I guess it wouldn't be that fearless when you finally see how easy it is to find.

Again, good points!
Star for you.

Peace friend.



posted on May, 24 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by LifeIsEnergy
 



The urge to help others definitely arises from the ego, however, there are those who are fearless enough to leave 'home', to try and help others, knowing they can easily find their way back.


One can help others without revealing personal inner spiritual experiences, and I don't know what you mean by "leaving home".


Pertaining to this notion of both of yours, what would you say about Christ, Buddha, Ramana Maharshi... or any of the other awakened who all have tried to share their inner experiences?


As far as I know, Christ and Buddha said very little about their inner personal experiences, they really only focused on teaching others how they may become self-realized and God-realized. I don't know anything about Maharishi's teachings to make a comment.

My own experience with eastern mystics is that they avoid talking about themselves and simply teach the spiritual path.



posted on May, 24 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   
This thread strucks a deep chord with me. I am seeing more and more people awaken to the spiritual reality, which is a wonderful thing. Some have found peace, others are still searching, but there are a few individuals that I know, who have completely built their ego around this thing. They are identified with it and are even making it a belief system. They have a need to talk about it constantly and remind others that they enlightened.

I wish the best for all of us who are on this journey. Don't let the ego prevent you from finding your true Self.



posted on May, 24 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by PukanaLa
 


Good point, that is kind of why I wrote this, to help those people!


Peace friend.



posted on May, 24 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by mysticnoon
 


So are you saying I shouldn't add any of my personal experiences into the next thread? I felt that honesty helped people both relate to and trust what I was saying more. Maybe not, huh?

Peace friend.




top topics



 
101
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

log in

join