It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Okla. Sen. Coburn questions whether Redding 'adult baby' should receive disability benefits

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Okla. Sen. Coburn questions whether Redding 'adult baby' should receive disability benefits

www.redding.com

“You wanna test how damn serious I am about leaving this world, screw with my check that pays for this apartment and food,” Thornton said in an email to Washington Times, published on Wednesday. “Try it. See how serious I am. I don’t care. I have no problem killing myself. Take away the last thing keeping me here, and see what happens. Next time you see me on the news, it will be me in a body bag.”
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
This story was set up by National Geographic. The man claims he drilled six holes in the pre-fabricated 300 lbs. crib. He claims the show overstated his woodworking ability. I think we are ignoring the elephant in the room.

The man claims total disability. I am not a doctor, but he certainly is suffering from something. Now this guy is suicidal and claims if his benefits are cut off he will kill himself.

I guess the guy really does act like a baby.

www.redding.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
not going into an adult baby

but if a true condition he should get disability

oklahoma is not a free state

oklahoma is filled with government workers claiming to know whats best for others

oklahoma is a police state

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
awww take the money way, he is bluffing. america cant afford it

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by whyamIhere

Wow...it's blackmail...I can blackmail Oklahoma? I don't understand this, all I have to do is threaten to kill myself and they'll give me money?

Isn't PTSD something you can get therapy for and get over (honest question) without just acting like a baby all the time to cope? And all sorts of people have hypertension, to my knowledge, without doing permanent damage to their hearts or requiring disability.

So...to make sure I'm clear...he's not saying he'll die if he loses disability and has to actually be productive - he's simply saying he'll off himself?

Can the state (I live in OK as well) require some sort of strong evaluation by experts beyond whatever apparently passed muster to get him on disability in the first place? It sounds too much to me like a more perverse and less mature version of Jacob's father from Mass Effect 2.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Truther9111776

oklahoma is not a free state

oklahoma is filled with government workers claiming to know whats best for others

oklahoma is a police state

I WOULD LIKE TO DISAGREE, SIR!

But I really can't.

I tend to stay off the radar so as to avoid issues that can be avoided, but I hear frequently about police corruption at least in my town (when it comes up) and some laws here are quite ridiculous in their penalties for violation (minimum mandatories with option of up to life for first offense on certain things), as well as state bureaucracies being entirely worthless and backwards in their effects.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
This has me all fired up.

I work with people who have developmental disabilities.

One lady has Angelman Syndrome. She is in her 20's but is developmentally like a toddler. She does not speak, her ability to communicate with those around her is limited to the types of responses you would see from an infant, and she requires total care. Yet, her funding is being reduced because the State is trying to force her parents to put her in a group home.

The other lady is a former resident of Hissom and is afflicted with severe mental retardation, Intermittent Explosive Disorder, seizures, depression, etc., and is manic-depressive. Due to the seizures and the fact that she is basically a young child in an adult's body (somewhere between 4 - 8 years old depending on which indicator you look at), she can never be left alone and is staffed even while asleep. She never has enough money and sometimes we, her staff, end up helping to pay for her food and other necessities because we don't want her to go without.

In comparison to people like my clients and friends mentioned above - and many others that I know about - this man just infuriates me. He is a living insult to people who have real disabilities, and if he really can't take care of himself (which I doubt) I would like to see him tossed into a mental facility.

Please don't waste any sympathy or money on this fraudulent loser!

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I have family members with heart conditions and back problems, they work just fine. He may not be able to work in a physically demanding environment, but I'm sure there are options...
I also know a number of people with PTSD who also work. You have to make ends meet. Although maybe we are different in Canada when it comes to this stuff.

People in this world are getting stranger. His file should certainly be reviewed, and if he wants to be a baby he should do it on his time. Then again there are plenty of others bleeding the system dry anyway, whats one more baby.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Truther9111776

So you have an issue with Oklahoma being a police state but you have no issue with them being a Nanny State (in this case quite the appropriate term to use eh?).

Your post reads to me like this "oklahoma has no right to regulate this man's odd behavior but they have every obligation to support him and his behavior."

Seriously?

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by whyamIhere

This guy is not disabled unless being stupid qualifies. He can work tools and build custom furniture and get around quite fine. He is an idiot for going on TV and exposing his "baby" life.

He wants to play out his fetish lifestyle on the taxpayers dime. I hope they stop paying his benefits and he is a man of his word. What a tool.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
If I may deviate a bit from the specifics, I would like to ask.

Should the threat of committing suicide be considered a crime? It seems to be illogical. "Do 'X' for me or I will go away." doesn't sound very coherent in the way of negotiation.

Negotiation must be the 'solution' here, right?

If the government has deemed him disabled (which must be a 'given' in the debate) and then cut off his resources, are they not in effect "killing him"? If they are not, and he becomes homeless and dies, did they not kill him? It's not like they were unaware of his incapability to cope with reality.

Why do I fear this becoming a business opportunity for the relocation of the homeless?

Sorry, my bad, of course not..... right?

I wonder if any prison construction is going on in Oklahoma right now?

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

i could very easily view this as financial terrorism

no different of coarse

than henry paulson and threatening members of congress

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
more like..
baby huey

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

It seems more like an idle threat, further down in the article it said that a police officer had gone to his home and he said he wasn't suicidal. So it looks like he is actually just acting like a baby.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   
I call BS.

There are people I know, myself included, who were abused as children, have some lingering injuries and chronic illnesses, and mental problems out the wazoo, and most of us work for a living. Methinks this guy just wants a free ride and attention. If he wants to kill himself, let him imho. Otherwise the fat, lazy creep needs to go out and find himself a job.

Being a leech isn't a disability. Having one of the creepiest fetishes known to man isn't a disability. What a wanker.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
I think taking away his 'disability' income would do this guy some good. Time for some tough love for this baby, and about time to man up and do away with all the self pity.

Am I being harsh? I really do not think so. There are many other people with a lot more problems working their behinds off to get by (to them I tip my hat).

Until he wants to help himself, actually do something to help himself I have no pity whatsoever, nor for his roommate (which, by the way is adding to the problem).

What he does to himself when the free money stops flowing in is up to him, noone else should be held accountable.

I mean, there is being lazy and being just plain stupid, I believe this baby-man is acting out the latter. But, in saying that I do wish him the best in overcoming his PTSD, working with his injuries and securing a job and stop leeching off others.

Humans can be resilient, extraordinary creatures but one must first want to help themselves and take the first 'step' (baby pun intended).

Edit to add: Also, this guy is running an internet help group, built a large timber cot and chair to fit his frame in so he can continue pretending to be a baby. Sounds like he's more fit for work than a lot of other people who currently have a job yet he receives payments? What a strange world we live in.
edit on 20-5-2011 by IdeaLogical because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   
You don't just get on disability,

In every case i know of it takes a lot of doctors statements and at least a year and at least a couple tries to get on SSD/SSDI. Many have to get a lawyer just to get it.

I know from experience. I finely got on a veterans disability pension because it only took a few months with the VA own doctors signing off on the disabilities (the government trust there own doctors more.).

Okla. Sen. Coburn is just one of those a**holes that think the disabled should just disappear and never do seen in public.

And i will bet he does not have anyone working in his senate office that is severely disabled

Heart conditions are so varied and many get SSD/SSDI that still can get around and do there own shopping and driving.

I have 5 different conditions that would qualify for SSD/SSDI and i can still work on my car for a hour a day.
heart attack with CABG x5, Fibromyalgia, Sarcoidosis, Neuropathy in hands and feet, Neurosarcoidosis, diabetes,

I could drill 50 holes. and likely with the Neuropathy drill one through my finger and not even feel it.

I over do it all the time and end up in bed from pain for a couple days.
Plus my doctor wants me to get more excrise like riding a bike 3 to 5 miles a bay. good luck with that.

I might be able to work with training.
BUT if you go back to school they can Take your SSD/SSDI when you try to start retraining.(not when you finish or actually go to work.

So what if he wants to play AB.

I am a IC/DL and a Nudist.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
The gentleman/baby actually resides in Redding California.

That should explain a few things.

My "State" is bankrupt to the point of no return.

It seems to be the California way.

Act like a baby and you will get exactly what you want.

Embarrassing only begins to describe it.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

What's a "DL"? Does it stand for "downlow"? Are you a brotha secretly looking for have sex with another dude, on the "DL"?

If you are thats ok, I'm not interested, but I am curious.

ETA: I'm not curious about having sex with you, I'm just curious about what "DL" means.
edit on 20-5-2011 by Rockdisjoint because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by nithaiah

ya, let him try, it's against the law to kill yourself and isn't he accountable for holding himself hostage? lol.

put him in a cell with no crib, (which he built himself) and he set up his own web site. is it that easy?

charge him with fraud too.

seal team 6 to the rescue!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join