It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are you doing to prepare for the economic collapse?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
I feel comfortable listing off what I packed away knowing non of you know where I live. Lol If so give me your screen name and ill share some with you.

So far I have been getting ready since December 2010. That’s when I became aware of the global economies situation. So far I have packed away thousands of dollars worth of supplies that will be rotated out if or if not a situation arises.

I have so far put away 2,300 rounds of .223 for my AR-15, 2,000 rounds of .22 for my small rifles and side arm for small game, and around 500 rounds for my Glock .45 side arm. I also put away 140 OZ of silver for future money.

Food supplies consist of 40 cans of different soups and 50 pounds of rice. The primary meal will be a bed of rice and you pour your soap can over the rice to give the rice flavor. It turns it into a gumbo type food and its good. With that I also have 60 bags of top Ramón. 36 MRE’s and Three #10 cans of freeze dried food. For water I only have 5 cases of bottle water all for one person. 30 gallons of extra gas for my truck, an expensive gravity feed water purifier, camping gear, tons of batters and books on everything you can think of. From planting and harvesting seeds to dental and doctor work when there is nowhere to go. There is only a small amount of items I still need to get. Some more gas and a gas stove.

The reason I don’t put away more water or food is I believe in sustainability. To many people are storing foods and not thinking of what happens when they run out of the food they stored. So I took the steps and started a pretty good size seed bank. This bank consists of thousands of different seeds from fruits and vegetable to grains and medical type plants.

My primary goal when the SHTF happen, and you will know when this happens after all the banks shut down, is to load up my supplies into my truck bed, leave in the middle of the night and take off to the family ranch 250 miles away in the woods, That’s why I have the extra gas so I don’t have to stop at a gas station. The ranch consists of 1,000 acres with 40 head of black angus, wild game, year round natural spring and a year round river flowing through it. The ranch also has 6 ponds fully stocked with fish.

The plan is once the SHTF happens is to start your new life as a homesteader. Of course my family will meet me up there but I also need to try and bring all the close friends I can get. It’s going to take a lot of people to protect the cattle and land from mobs of people if they end up finding their way to our land.

What are your plans for the SHTF and when do you think its going to happen? I gave myself the date of June 30th to be ready. That’s the date QE2 ends and we stop pumping money into the government and wall street markets. Anyone have anything to add or see flaws in my plan?

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Breathing! Well, first breathing would be important. Not panicing, not worrying would be second. A community can still be a community without money. Consider it a gift of independence and rebuild or die trying.

That's about all it takes. If this was really the end bullets, beans won't matter. Otherwise, if you are going out in the sticks... Pre-popped pop corn all the way and get ready to not use guns but diplomacy and your skills of waking, calming others to get down to business and organize your new existence.

We WILL die free.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
I have just started getting ready. I will not have all the stuff I want for close to a year. If TSHTF before then I will likely have to loot a walmart or something.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
its just like car insurance or house insurance. Im not panicing, just getting ready for what could happen

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Seems to me you have a good plan. Having land to go to, let alone a ranch, with what you have put away should be enough to keep you for quite awhile.
I just spent the past few years raising gardens, enough to keep ten to twelve people for a year. In the meantime I saved seeds and have them put away. Enough to grow what I need.

I also have a couple years of food, canned and dry goods for a couple years stashed in a couple different places.
I have since taken to my car and am wandering the U.S., me and my tent. If things get to bad that I can't buy gas and get back to the northeast, I do have my BoB with me. Even though I'm in my sixties, I still know how to walk and will make my way for the appalachian trail and back to the northeast. I am a past eagle scout and can still take care of myself in the woods.

I have friends with land up in the mountains and a good four season tent, so I think I can make it.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I am investing in silver, and maybe gold. Its not really necessary though. Why build up a huge survival shelter/fund/safehouse when we are going to die anyway (eventually I mean)? So sure I will prepare, but not excessively. I have better things to do.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   
I have stored half of the marshmallow fluff known to man in my big white underground marshmallow fluff wall bunker.If you try to get in,you better have some good peanut butter,only the crunchy kind or no entrance.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by herenow
Seems to me you have a good plan. Having land to go to, let alone a ranch, with what you have put away should be enough to keep you for quite awhile.
I just spent the past few years raising gardens, enough to keep ten to twelve people for a year. In the meantime I saved seeds and have them put away. Enough to grow what I need.

I also have a couple years of food, canned and dry goods for a couple years stashed in a couple different places.
I have since taken to my car and am wandering the U.S., me and my tent. If things get to bad that I can't buy gas and get back to the northeast, I do have my BoB with me. Even though I'm in my sixties, I still know how to walk and will make my way for the appalachian trail and back to the northeast. I am a past eagle scout and can still take care of myself in the woods.

I have friends with land up in the mountains and a good four season tent, so I think I can make it.

When you say you have food stashed away are you talking about like in different places around the country or at home?

Im just learning how to garden and see the winter times being the hardest at the ranch. we are at 3,400 ft

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
I just wish we were more civilized like the Japanese. Unbelievable. That's a lot of ammo. I understand the mentality of survival but I seriously wish we didn't have to rely on violence to survive. Damn what a world we live in or should I say country?

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by iSeeKEnlightenment8o5
I just wish we were more civilized like the Japanese. Unbelievable. That's a lot of ammo. I understand the mentality of survival but I seriously wish we didn't have to rely on violence to survive. Damn what a world we live in or should I say country?

Yeah the ammo is for self defence. once its gone its gone and i dont think its going to be easy to find any ammo anywhere.

I was looking into getting body armor but that stuff cost some $$$ what i want cost $1,400 with the ratting of stopping a .223 round, a AK47 round and a .30 cal round but that will be my last buy

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by camaro68ss

I have a few friends back up east, and have food stashed on their property. They all live far out in the country and all have access to even more property further up in the mountains.

I try not to keep all my eggs in on e basket. Same goes for my seed stash. I have also put away medicinal elixirs that I have made, all grain alcohol based, so will last indefinatly.

I am only traveling with enough food for about six months, so plan on making a return trip before winter sets in to restock.

Being out here on the road in times like these is like playing musical chairs, never know when the swhtf. But thats what makes life interesting. Whats important, isn't the destination, but the journey.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   

camaro68ss

Interesting to read what and how you are preparing you and your family........... ahead of the curve perhaps....

Just out of curiosity, how much in dollar terms would you say you have spent since Dec 2010 when you started preparing..

I'll probably nip down to Costco tommorrow after reading your thread and print off all the e-books about survival et al...

Cheers

PDUK

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Gardening is hit or miss, mother nature does her thing, like it or not.
Backl home they say we have 8 months of winter and 4 months of poor ice fishing. But we still can have a good garden if you time it right.

Then, the thing is to preserve it, at least what can be preserved. Some things, like potato's and squash you can only keep for so long. But you can freeze those at the end of the year to last thru summer.

I'm presently at 3 thousand feet here in the Blue Ridge and Smokies and I know folks here grow some fantastic gardens. So, I sure you can out west at that altitude. Although, having camped up in the Rockies, the days are warm and it gets darn cold at night. I'm heading that way in a couple months.

Also, some dry ice, put in an air tight bucket and cover, filled with grains, or rice, will help it keep for several years.
edit on 20-5-2011 by herenow because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by herenow

Being out here on the road in times like these is like playing musical chairs, never know when the swhtf. But thats what makes life interesting. Whats important, isn't the destination, but the journey.
Amen my friend. I am doing the same though staying mostly in Florida for the time being. It is really a lot of fun. Driving the back roads. Stopping at bars, taverns and coffee shops. Talking to all the different people. The thing I like about Florida is that almost everybody is from somewhere else. You get to meet lots of different types of people that way.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by herenow

You can say that again. I live in the high desert @ approx 6000ft. Last year try as we might, nothing grew. And we weren't alone. I haven't met a single person that had a successful garden last year.

Anyhow, I do keep stocks of food and water. We try to mitigate rising prices and falling dollar value by buying now rather than later as well as saving what we grow.

At the moment I feel fairly comfortable surviving a SHTF situation. But honestly I still worry about extended economic collapse and/or hyper-inflation.

All we can do is our best, I suppose.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I'm cooking spaghetti sauce
Huge pots.
Now if we go into an economic crash,
Ill have spaghetti aplenty.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by DarthMuerte

Yes, thats the thing about Florida, everyone is from somewhere else. I went down there for a couple weeks vacation back in 73, finally came home in 86. So I'm trying to avoid Florida for now, just in case.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleDog UK

camaro68ss

Interesting to read what and how you are preparing you and your family........... ahead of the curve perhaps....

Just out of curiosity, how much in dollar terms would you say you have spent since Dec 2010 when you started preparing..

I'll probably nip down to Costco tommorrow after reading your thread and print off all the e-books about survival et al...

Cheers

PDUK

If you dont count the silver I would have to say $1,000 to $1,200 USD. The silver i dont count because its real money anyways so its not like im throwing it away. I got that at $28, $30, and $35 levels

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by stasis
reply to post by herenow

You can say that again. I live in the high desert @ approx 6000ft. Last year try as we might, nothing grew. And we weren't alone. I haven't met a single person that had a successful garden last year.

Anyhow, I do keep stocks of food and water. We try to mitigate rising prices and falling dollar value by buying now rather than later as well as saving what we grow.

At the moment I feel fairly comfortable surviving a SHTF situation. But honestly I still worry about extended economic collapse and/or hyper-inflation.

All we can do is our best, I suppose.

yeah its stuff you dont want to think about but you have to. look around, do you really think things are going to get better. If your awnser is no like me then you know what you need to do

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
200+ gallons water
50 gallons powdered milk
50lbs powdered eggs
15lbs powdered butter
60lbs flour
60lbs sugar
30lbs rice
30lbs dry beans
30 family sized canned vegatables
100+ regular sized canned veggies
50 cans pineapple
50 cans peaches
20lbs pancake mix
5 family sized ravioli
5 family sized baked beans
40 regular sized cans of tuna
5 institutional sized cans of tuna
30 cans of canned chicken
canned salmon
40lbs dry pasta
20lbs instant potatoes
10lbs corn meal
15lbs oats
couple economy sized spaghetti sauce
9 months worth of dogfood
a lot of other food stuff i can't even think of
year's worth of all natural vitamins for 2 adults
all kinds of first aid stuff
two carhartt blizzard proof coverall suits
charcoal water pump
100+ batteries of each kind (AAA, AA, D)
detailed maps
i do have a seed bank, all non-gmo

man...this is just off the top of my head. i know there's more stuff. i've spent at least $2,000 in the past 2 months just on supplies. yeah...i'm getting ready.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join