It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The REAL ATS?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   
This is something I have been wondering for awhile but was unsure of what might come of it if I posted this...

Does ATS exist not to spread alternate news but to debunk it? Ya people are made aware of new things/concepts but once you get through the compliments and praise the focus is generally devolves to debunking the claim and/or discredit/insult the OP. The purpose seems to really be to debunk. I believe this is also the reason behind the star/flag system. The star and flag system really just ensures that no topic is being discussed too much for long without drawing the debunkers's attention. This is also the reason and methodology used when forming and enforcing the site's rules and policies. Sometimes a new conversation NEEDS to be started, but they already debunked that so go read it here.

They do some catering to the alternate media community but I believe that's just to keep you coming. Keep your friends close and your enemies closer type of deal. This is what is meant by deny ignorance, by debunking it. Look at the ads. The great majority of the advertisements are scams. This makes sense when you think the site is for debunkers and their "prey". They already believe you are gullible. It's just another laugh for them at your expense. Just look at the home page right now. Do you really think a site that let's people post crap about them being a demi-god here to answer all your questions will ever amount to any sort of credibility?

There's no problem with a debunker's site, as long as you're open about it. The true intent is hard to say. I'm leaning more towards a centralized location for debunkers. I believe the "the government" does make use of the site, but I don't believe the site is actually a sort of psy-op. Basically if they advertised themselves as debunkers, no one would come here posting stuff and they would have nothing to debunk.

edit on 20-5-2011 by infiniteobserver because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by infiniteobserver

i think alot of people come here and learn things or begin to see things differently

sure, if there is such a thing as disinformation agents, this is exactly where they would be

however, anyone can join ats and anyone can take what they read here however they want, sometimes that breeds openmindedness, sometimes ignorance

alot of people on ats, as far as i have seen posts here and there during my time, say that ats is a great place

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   

perhaps you havnt visited the philosophy and metaphysics forum here. that is where all the most important stuff is in my opinion.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   

I find the sight is here for people with expansive minds to talk about whats on there mind..."Deny Ignorance" to me after being on this sight means "Deny the lack of other peoples ideas being shared"

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Rest in Peace infiniteobserver .May the truth finally be revealed.

Peace,
K

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 03:38 AM
link   
RIP,

I agree 100%,

I saw a great thread posted, because it wasn't full of sensationalism and only had 2 stars it was ignored and shoved to the bottom of the heap never to be seen again. One thing about that thread, it represented hundreds of hours of work and was 'debunked' in seconds even though it was legit. If you don't have a sensationalized 1 liner with a photo of nothing at all don't expect to get 20 stars and flags, that's how it works, the nothing is at the top the something is disappeared to the bottom and fall in the cracks never to be seen because the self-righteous self-all-knowing members don't know about it, therefore they deem it false when it's the truest thing they've ever read on this entire site, it just doesn't jive with their new-age garbage so they assume it's false.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 05:20 AM
link   
Edit for respect.

R.I.P. Infiniteobserver

edit on 25/4/2013 by Theflyingweldsman because: A single interaction can have multiple interpretations.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 05:56 AM
link   
its ironic that this thread which makes a very valid point will probably get more attention because this member suffered a tragic death and not because of the truth in his post.

Its amazing how much of a legacy we leave behind. Sometimes I forget that everything we post on ATS will stay here as long as the server is running.

Hope you're having fun where ever you are brother. RIP.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 06:04 AM
link   
reply to post by TiM3LoRd

Opps!

I didn't notice the OP's start date...

R.I.P.

What happened to infiniteobserver?

edit on 25/4/2013 by Theflyingweldsman because: Freedom isn't given, it's taken.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 06:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Theflyingweldsman

Opps!

I didn't notice the OP's start date...

R.I.P.

What happened to infiniteobserver?

edit on 25/4/2013 by Theflyingweldsman because: Freedom isn't given, it's taken.

Check out the front page

www.abovetopsecret.com...

essentially he was murdered and the suspect is his father in law who he claimed was a muslim extremist
edit on 25-4-2013 by TiM3LoRd because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 06:26 AM
link   

Thanks for the Info.

Terrible story. My God.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Your words will speak for you here forever friend, you'll be missed. Great ideas and contributions. Our prayers and thoughts will be with your family now.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   
R.I.P. Infinite. In the tiny microcosm that is our lives, there is no room for a malevolent God.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 08:38 AM
link   

The members define the content, not the site staff. If there is more debunking, it is because the membership is debunking....the staff has no part in it. If we post opinions on a given topic, it is our opinion as a member, not as ATS unless in a mod role capacity (enforcing the rules). Among the staff, there are skeptics and believers alike.

Extraordinary claims are going to attract those seeking to debunk such claims. So, debate them! That's what the site is for! Want to defeat debunkers? Provide better evidence, or better arguments! But don't blame ATS...

top topics

join