It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comfort Food

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Hi everyone I am a foodie....love, love, love it! At times when I am stressed (happy or sad),,,,I want my favorite comfort food.....mac and cheese..this food combo brings back good memories of my childhood and my grandmother...and for a while I feel all cozy, warm and safe again.

What is your favorite comfort food....and why? How does it make you feel?

edit on 20-5-2011 by caladonea because: change the title from all caps

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
My Grandma's chocolate chip cookies.
They are the best cookies I've ever, and probably will ever have. They make me feel like a kid every time I bite in to one. Oh and they also make me feel fat, hahah.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Ice cream for sure is the best comfort food. Unless I eat it too fast, then it becomes a discomfort food.

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

My main comfort food is manicotti, we ate it a lot when I was a kid and I still love it.
There's also these cookies they sell at a local grocery store in the city I lived in when I was about 2-7 years old. We got one everytime we went to the store before my family split up, I wish I could have one of those cookies. My friend sent me a box of them for Christmas and I cherished every single one of those cookies
So many good memories attached to them, and they're delicious.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Home-made Beef Stew! it's just the best! Especially if you happen to have some french Bread available Yummers!

edit on 21-5-2011 by CosmosKid because: spelling

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   

I did a post on shtf comfort food and the boost it gives your morale.
I too am a food lover, anyway the post spurred me onto an intense online search for old world recipe's and cooking things from scratch.
The main reason for cooking from scratch is my health as I am diabetic and also other/disabled.
The other reasons vary but satisfaction is a big one.
I have found what i consider to be the worlds best Mac and cheese recipe.
Well cheese sauce anyway, can be used for fettuccine, augratin, Etc.
1 stick butter
1 package cream cheese
1 cup shredded cheese (any) cheddar, parmesan, pepper jack, Etc.
1/2 cup milk or half and half
I try not to substitute any and keep it only real dairy no margarine, velveeta, Etc.
This recipe can be doubled, tripled, quadrupled, to fit any desired result, from totally stuffed to diabetic coma.

This recipe plus 1 lb noodles any kind, or 8 medium sliced potatoes.
Good stuff and best of all it is homemade.

Cook time about 10-20 mins. depending on your mood.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I have a few things that my family makes that immediately brings me comfort. We make these things called Fannanige's also known as Perogies, they are a dumpling filled with either a meatball (Beef or Pork) or Potato and and salt pork, and fried onions some add cheese but we don't. The Meatball ones are usually served in a beef broth topped with sour cream, and the other's usually are fried in a pan with butter salt and pepper, and topped with sour cream or yes even more butter. Not very healthy but hey once a year at Christmas isn't bad. That along with Moika which is a beef stew, huge chunks of beef and or game, potato, onion, pepper corns, some add Rutabaga instead of Potato that's the traditional but I don't, and bay leafs, salt and pepper.. Served with what we call Farmers bread it is kind of like white Rye, it's hard to explain. But dang you just got me feeling all warm inside just greatness. (Kalamoika is fish heads instead of chunks of beef or game for that matter no bueno.)

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Hamburger gravy over mashed potatoes. My favorite lunch from elementary school.
To the poster above (cosmoskid) that said stew. Solid choice as well. Made a small batch last weekend. It was delicious.
edit on 5/24/2011 by saturnsrings because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by g146541

Thanks for the tip. My wife loves mac and cheese, as long as it's kraft. I book marked this page and will certainly give that recipe a shot. I enjoy cooking from scratch, and my wife doesn't like cooking at all.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by saturnsrings

Do eeeet!!
When this hits her tastebuds she will be irrevocably compelled to this stuff over the box mac and cheese.
It doesn't take much longer and is days better.
Btw you can use food as a marital barter system too.

Oh my feet, Ohh my back...Etc.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
To all of you that have responded:

THANK YOU!....I will try some of your suggestions....they all sound delicious.....

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Chocolate!! Any chocolate esp dark chocolate is my comfort food!!

I love ice cream, Ben and Jerry's phish food is the best!

I also like double chocolate milanos with milk.

When I went through a really rough breakup earlier this year I ate 4 huge bars of dark chocolate I got at the London airport, a toblerone and a huge German chocolate bar my pen pal sent me lol It helped....but it really sucked when they were all gone!

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Not really food tbh but honey & lemon hot drink always makes me feel warm and cozy and sleepy, specially when I'm ill it makes me feel slightly better

new topics

top topics

join