It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This is what we are dealing with in the middle east (Video)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
when people understand how backward people are there, they will understand why israel acts the way it does to the Arabs. Check video below

www.cnn.com...
edit on 20-5-2011 by CountDrac because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Israel is not doing anything about honor killings. They are doing this because they believe the land belongs to them. The two have absolutely nothing to do with each other.

Sadly parents all over the world kill their children, sometimes for religious reasons. I am sure you are just as upset about so-called Christian parents who refuse to take their kids to the hospital, because they think the kids dying is God's will.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I will assume, most, Arabs in the region would LOVE to live in beautiful Israel....

Since, it seems, most have nothing to lose... That's their drive.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by CountDrac

How is this in any way related to the situation between Israel and Palestine? Honor killings happen all over the place.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
So you're justyfing the murder, forced displacement and genocide of innocent children, women, and elderly Palestinians just because allegedly 18 women have died in the past 6 years because of honor killings?!

Are you kidding me? You know what, get a grip and come up with better arguements. Oh wait, you won't find any.

edit on 20-5-2011 by Kemal because: removed quote

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by CountDrac
when people understand how backward people are there, they will understand why israel acts the way it does to the Arabs. Check video below

www.cnn.com...

So next time a paedophile is arrested in the US, we are to believe all Americans are paedophiles? Tainting everyone with the same brush are we?

That posting in no way justifies Israel's actions. Shame on you with your Pro-Israel propaganda post!

st

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Oh great and here we go ... arguments.

That's all I see in threads pertaining to the middle east. Nothing but mindless arguments. Well, I might as well grab some pop corn and enjoy the show.

Getting back on topic, seriously, anything going on over there I don't understand anymore or perhaps I have never understood. They kill each other over land. Just land! Its just pathetic to the utmost degree!

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by InvisibleAlbatross

Honor Killings occur when someone is killed due to the perception of the killer, that his honor has been destroyed based on the victim's actions. This includes killings of girl friends who have cheated on their boy friends, wives who have cheated on their husbands, daughters who have had extramarital sex, people who are killed for insults etc.. Such cases are widespread in the West and Muslim nations. The above story revolves around the uncle of the girl, according to his confession she was involved in "improper sexual relations". Similar cases exists in US, that doesn't justify it at all, but it should be taken in to consideration, and shouldn't be isolated, to make it seem as if it only exists in Muslim societies, or in the Palestinian mentality.

In England for example someone was murdered due to facebook insults. Other examples revolve around gang honors, as the famous but deadly "bloods" and "crips" are involved in honor killings from the prison complex to the streets of LA.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by anon102

www.youtube.com...

Surely you would be pissed aswell if there was a checkpoint on every main road that you can't pass...

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   

It reminds me of a story my husband from Iraq told me about his grandmother. When his grandfather died someone accused her of having an affair with a neighbor with no evidence just an accusation. Her brother took her out into the Iraq countryside and made her dig a grave and then buried her alive. It finally got found out what happened to her. The family were still fighting among themselves over her death which occured many years ago. Simply shows how men are more concerned about themselves and what someone might say or might expect than feelings of family and love. The worst part isn't the cold blooded brutality but the way they claim they are all about the family in that part of the world. In reality most have no idea what family or love even means.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by confreak

The point is that honor killings are Legal across the Muslim countries in the Middle East. It happens everywhere in the world for many reasons but in the western countries it’s not legal as opposed to the Muslim countries. It’s also not legal in western countries to stone a woman or man but it is in Iran, Iraq, Syria, and Saudi Arabia etc…

I’m merely pointing out that it seems the Israelis are the only western country in the region with western morals and laws. And they are dealing with backwards countries and societies which honestly being an American I find them sickening.

People will argue that its because they are poor and uneducated etc, but lets be honest its because of their religion, and the fact that Islam has not evolved in hundreds of years.

Islam is the only religion that still by law treats women like it did in biblical times. Why is that?

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by confreak

Its not about people believing they think they have the right to commit murder. If that could be done away with we would live in a much more perfect world. Its about the perception that it is not only allowed but many times expected behind the mask of Religion. It 's not the killing. Its the belief system and legal system that promotes this behavior to thrive that is in question and under fire from the West.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Honor killings are not legal across the Middle East. They do sometimes lead to lesser sentences, but the same thing happens in the West. An "honor killing" is a "crime of passion." People who commit "crimes of passion" often get lesser sentences than those who plan out the crime.

But while honor killings have elicited considerable attention and outrage, human rights activists argue that they should be regarded as part of a much larger problem of violence against women.

In India, for example, more than 5,000 brides die annually because their dowries are considered insufficient, according to the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF). Crimes of passion, which are treated extremely leniently in Latin America, are the same thing with a different name, some rights advocates say.

India, a non-Islamic country has honor killings too, only they are called "dowry-killings."

"In countries where Islam is practiced, they're called honor killings, but dowry deaths and so-called crimes of passion have a similar dynamic in that the women are killed by male family members and the crimes are perceived as excusable or understandable," said Widney Brown, advocacy director for Human Rights Watch.

The practice, she said, "goes across cultures and across religions."

news.nationalgeographic.com...

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Yes they are Legal in those countries and most of these murder cases dont even get to the police and are not considered a murder.
And this is from someone who actually has been there and has friends who live there...

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   

When the radicals of Islam stop hiding behind their Religion for their atrocities against women then the rest of the world will stop tying the two together. There are many sects of Islam so it can not be stated by any one what is and isn't allowed. That is a mistake people continue to make. And rhetoric that continues to be espoused. It is not a mistaken idea that these types of actions are promoted in these areas of the world. That it is pushed by cultural brutality and many hide behind religion as an excuse to continue the practice. It was that long ago that people took to the streets in Yeman due to an attempt to change the allowable practice of forced msrriage of 8 year old girls to be changed to I believe 17. Needless to say that law didn't get changed. All in the name of Islam.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   

I don't like long discussions so I will leave you with this last post to decipher yourself.

Honor killing is not legal in Muslim countries, including the incident we are discussing above. The incident we are discussing talks about the evidence pointing to (the uncle of the victim) being the killer, then after questioning the uncle confessed to the murder. Now he is being prosecuted for murder.

It doesn't look like he is gonna go without punishment for murdering that girl..

With all due respect
edit on 20-5-2011 by confreak because: typo

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Could you please list the countries in which honor killings are legal? I have found only one: Jordan. And even there, officials, including the late King Hussein called for honor killings to be properly punished. Even in Jordan, there is a seperate legal procision, often used to punish men who commit honor killings. It is true that the punishment is unfairly lenient, but it is there.

It is interesting to note that honor killings occur in Latin America and are more leniently punished, just as they are in the Middle East, and in America (crimes of passion). It is also important to note that honor killings are not legal under Islamic law.

Honour killings are a global issue, with violence and killing in the name of honour being recorded in Afghanistan, Argentina, Bangladesh, Britain, Brazil, Denmark, Ecuador, Egypt, Germany, Guatemala, Holland, India, Iraq, Iran, Israel, Italy, Jordan, Lebanon, Morocco, Pakistan, Palestine, Peru, Sweden, Syria, Turkey, Uganda, Venezuela and the West Bank. Despite this, the majority of honour killings occur in the Middle East, in Muslim settings. It is important to note that Islamic law and religion do not support the practice. The practice in fact has tribal roots which precede Islam and can be traced back to the Hammurabi and Assyrian tribes of 1200 B.C. It stems from a belief that women, like livestock and land, are the property of men, and that it is a man’s role to ensure a stable family structure. A woman’s virginal status is seen as both the property and responsibility of the man.

www.actnow.com.au...

These crimes must absolutely be abolished and those who commit them must be punished. It is ludicrous, however, to pin this on Muslims, pretending that we don't allow for lighter punishments for murder.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
This is entirely unrelated and unrelevant to the Israel-Palestine conflict. It is like me finding a news article stating an "Israeli killed a Israeli girl" and stating that, that is why Hamas commits terrorist acts. I'm sure you would call me an idiot for that and rightfully so.

Another thing. What I noticed from the video is that the large majority of people were outraged, took to the streets in protest and forced Abbas to reform the law in regards to honour killings. Infact the video shows progress in Hebron. So I take it you are saying that Israel should kill and displace Palestinian civillians to stop the progress in ending honour killings becuase honour killings are good? Is that right?

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   

i agree with you on this. many refuse to research on their own and remain ignorant in this matter unless they were directly affected.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by CountDrac

www.cnn.com...

Mainstream Arabic culture approves of misogynistic, homophobic, and prejudicial violence. Go figure. You could see it on the streets on any Islamic country or under the rule of any Islamist wacko.

Please come up with something new that we all don't know.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join