It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does Anyone Remember "Rainbow Wig Guy?" John 3:16?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
No stories about this guy in search, other than a passing reference. If this has been done, sorry!

My memories of Rainbow wig guy are a little hazy, but I do remeber him in the stands during various sporting events, waving his "John 3:16" signs. It seemed very '70's, and it's because it was. Apparently, in most interviews he seemed like a harmless nut, obsessed with getting on TV. After a time, he became born again and took his message to heart. As his flame quickly burned his life fell apart and he became more and more zealous in his religion, eventually being consumed by the idea of the coming rapture. In the end, after a standoff in a motel room where he had kidnapped two men, he was arrested and sentenced to life in prison.

Apparently at first just in it for the publicity stunts, Stewart became a born-again Christian obsessed with "getting the message out" via television. His first major appearance was at the 1977 NBA Finals; by the time of the 1979 MLB All-Star Game, broadcasters actively tried to avoid showing him.[2] He "appeared behind NFL goal posts, near Olympic medal stands, and even at the Augusta National Golf Club." At the 1982 Indianapolis 500, he was behind the pits of race winner Gordon Johncock.[3] Stewart would strategically position himself for key shots of plays or athletes.[4] Stewart's fame led to a Budweiser beer commercial and a Saturday Night Live parody sketch,[4] where he was portrayed by Christopher Walken.[5]

Stewart is currently serving three consecutive life sentences in prison on kidnapping charges,[2] having rejected a plea deal of 12 years in order to spread his message in open court. After being sentenced, he began a religious tirade and had to be restrained by bailiffs.[8] He became eligible for parole in 2002, but was denied as recently as September 2005.[4] After this conviction, he was found guilty of four stink bomb attacks.[4]

en.wikipedia.org...

I don't think it is a stretch to say Rollen was a little unstable and perhaps that can account for his descent into madness. Seeing as this is a conspiracy site, I thought I'd mention that Rainbow wig guy became so prominent at major events, the production teams has to specifically plan to shoot around him, or make it so he wasn't in all the shots...I guess he made some bigwigs pretty upset...

"He's a pest, " an NBC executive once snorted. "We try to take him out of a shot whenever we can."

"He got to be a terrific distraction," seconded ABC sports producer Chet Forte. "He would station himself behind home plate and our camera would view over the pitcher's shoulder and it was very annoying seeing this guy waving the signs and all."

Occasionally, those annoyed by Rockin' Rollen did even more than that; forcibly ejecting him from events. "You know you're not wanted when they send security guards to walk you out of your seat," Rollen once commented. Rollen claimed he was hounded by authorities at the 1984 Olympics in Sarajevo who took him for a spy, thinking his JOHN 3:16 placard was some sort of coded message.

www.wport.com...

Maybe someone helped Rollen over the edge? Strange story regardless.

ColoradoJens

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
I haven't thought about that guy for years. That nut was more than a few fries short of the whole happy meal. He's like an urban legend that just happened to be real.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   
I remember him!!! Wow blast from the past, I was in High School and my uncle and Dad were talking about him and they went to get a Bible to look up John 3:16. We weren't "Born Again" and practiced luke warm Methodistism - so they didn't know. It is a strong memory because they were both bright men and I was surprised they had to look it up.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by mydarkpassenger
I haven't thought about that guy for years. That nut was more than a few fries short of the whole happy meal. He's like an urban legend that just happened to be real.

Yes, it does appear that Rollen was missing an item or two from his order. Frankly I'm suprised the feature film hasn't been made. Thanks for checking in!

CJ

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheBirdisDone
I remember him!!! Wow blast from the past, I was in High School and my uncle and Dad were talking about him and they went to get a Bible to look up John 3:16. We weren't "Born Again" and practiced luke warm Methodistism - so they didn't know. It is a strong memory because they were both bright men and I was surprised they had to look it up.

I know. After a few times seeing him we did the same thing. Someone recently sent me an email with a link to his story and I thought it was bizarre enough to put up here...maybe there was some mind control involved? Maybe not?

CJ

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by ColoradoJens

no one interested? I never knew the end of the story and was morbidly curious...oh well, maybe shows my age!

CJ

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 02:49 AM
link   
reply to post by ColoradoJens

last of the Bumphicans...

CJ

new topics

top topics

join