It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida's Governor Signs Assault on Democracy Into Law

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 04:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
reply to post by Kevinquisitor

This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. And no I'm not talking about the law.. I'm talking about the Liberal attack on the law.

A "poor" person can't manage to vote within 8 days?

Please.

Do blacks and Hispanics have a problem getting to the polls in 8 days?

Edit: Where I was born we had one day to vote.

edit on 5/20/2011 by Rockpuck because: (no reason given)

I suppose you think that there wouldn't be a rediculous que for it? Bigger populations require more time or more machines, the idea is "machines are expensive" and so they have few, to force major cities to squelch out the poor/minority voice.

I think you're being a bit naive here... honestly.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 05:04 AM
link   
reply to post by TheImmaculateD1

Immculate, it was the basis for Patriot Act. Many sources say so, even the Green Party. Numerous sources say Joe Biden authored the predecessor killfile.newsvine.com...

The next year, months before the Oklahoma City bombing took place, Biden introduced another bill called the Omnibus Counterterrorism Act of 1995. It previewed the 2001 Patriot Act by allowing secret evidence to be used in prosecutions, expanding the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act and wiretap laws, creating a new federal crime of "terrorism" that could be invoked based on political beliefs, permitting the U.S. military to be used in civilian law enforcement, and allowing permanent detection of non-U.S. citizens without judicial review. The Center for National Security Studies said the bill would erode "constitutional and statutory due process protections" and would "authorize the Justice Department to pick and choose crimes to investigate and prosecute based on political beliefs and associations."

waronyou.com...

In the wake of the 1995 Oklahoma City bombing, Biden did, in fact, champion an anti-terrorism bill similar to the one now before Congress (though it was, as he complains, badly watered down by anti-government conservatives and leftist civil libertarian

Meet the current chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, and the Democratic Party's de facto spokesman on the war against terrorism. No other Democrat has been as visible in the weeks since September 11, and Biden, who began promoting himself almost immediately after the attacks, is likely to speak, for the foreseeable future, for a party lacking in foreign policy experts. That's good news for a man who is thinking seriously about running for president in 2004. But is it good for the Democratic Party? Biden is tough and he's an internationalist. Unfortunately he's also legendary for speaking impulsively and leaving others to clean up the mess. "He lacks the filter," says one Democratic strategist. Or as a senior Senate foreign policy aide put it: "Biden is an unguided missile." Not exactly the persona you want out front when the country is at war.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
reply to post by IndieA

It's not that pot is bad (I personally don't think it is) .. it's that if you are getting welfare from the state, you shouldn't be spending it on pot. Simple as that. I think the State should be able to randomly do any kind of test.. check up on you at home, have a looksee in your fridge. Make sure the kids are getting fed. Make sure you're not only buying cheap vodka and cigarettes.

If you accept aid from the state, you should be owned by the state.

The State should also reserve the right to order you to different random jobs, like picking up trash on the side of the road or cleaning a park or something.

Perpetual Community service until you find a real job. I am all for it. Clean up the State Parks, empty the trash cans at the ball fields, answer telephones at the hotlines. Get a little training, a little job experience, or lose your benefits.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Laokin

I have lived in many cities and I have never stood in line for than 5 minutes, even before they had such a thing as early voting.

Last election in Florida, the first day of early voting had long lines, because of all the big voter turn out rallies. Then, for the next 2 weeks the polls sat almost completely empty. On the official voting Tuesday, the turnout was pretty normal, it was busy, but I got right in with no wait.

The system is not designed to keep out minorities. If anything, the system is designed to exploit minorities for their vote. They run shuttle buses sponsored by certain campaigns, they do community outreach sponsored by certain campaigns, they do special advertising aimed at specific impressionable demographics. In no way is the system set up to hinder the rights of minorities. Nobody ever came to my house to try and register me to vote or offer me a ride to the polls! That only happens for minorities!

And, for the record, in my local Tea Party, there is a strong contingency of minorities! On top of that, I work for the state government, where Rick Scott is cutting wages, cutting positions, and threatening to drug test, and still most of the people I know voted for him, even the minorities! Plus, Rick Scott has the first African-American female Lt. Governor, Jennifer Carroll ever in the state, and she is extremely popular, and will probably be the next Governor after him! Not all minorities are Democrats.

edit on 21-5-2011 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThirdEyeofHorus
reply to post by TheImmaculateD1

Immculate, it was the basis for Patriot Act. Many sources say so, even the Green Party. Numerous sources say Joe Biden authored the predecessor killfile.newsvine.com...

The next year, months before the Oklahoma City bombing took place, Biden introduced another bill called the Omnibus Counterterrorism Act of 1995. It previewed the 2001 Patriot Act by allowing secret evidence to be used in prosecutions, expanding the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act and wiretap laws, creating a new federal crime of "terrorism" that could be invoked based on political beliefs, permitting the U.S. military to be used in civilian law enforcement, and allowing permanent detection of non-U.S. citizens without judicial review. The Center for National Security Studies said the bill would erode "constitutional and statutory due process protections" and would "authorize the Justice Department to pick and choose crimes to investigate and prosecute based on political beliefs and associations."

waronyou.com...

In the wake of the 1995 Oklahoma City bombing, Biden did, in fact, champion an anti-terrorism bill similar to the one now before Congress (though it was, as he complains, badly watered down by anti-government conservatives and leftist civil libertarian

Meet the current chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, and the Democratic Party's de facto spokesman on the war against terrorism. No other Democrat has been as visible in the weeks since September 11, and Biden, who began promoting himself almost immediately after the attacks, is likely to speak, for the foreseeable future, for a party lacking in foreign policy experts. That's good news for a man who is thinking seriously about running for president in 2004. But is it good for the Democratic Party? Biden is tough and he's an internationalist. Unfortunately he's also legendary for speaking impulsively and leaving others to clean up the mess. "He lacks the filter," says one Democratic strategist. Or as a senior Senate foreign policy aide put it: "Biden is an unguided missile." Not exactly the persona you want out front when the country is at war.

They started drafting this up in the 1980's.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
how hard is it to vote when you dont have a job your rents paid and they get a government monthly check?

the democratic base well alot of them fall into that category.

i have no problems with the law all be it stupid.

like people have said if you got 8 days to vote and you cant make it in time.

the term lazy bums comes to mind.
edit on 21-5-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
how hard is it to vote when you dont have a job your rents paid and they get a government monthly check?

the democratic base well alot of them fall into that category.

i have no problems with the law all be it stupid.

like people have said if you got 8 days to vote and you cant make it in time.

the term lazy bums comes to mind.
edit on 21-5-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

Voting is a one day item and that is it, where the heil are you getting this week long poll from?

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by IndieA
reply to post by ManBehindTheMask

No it discriminates against people who live off the system and spend their money or gov paid for meds to buy drugs..............

I was speaking about drug testing alone. The welfare issue is separate. I don't like people buying drugs with government money as much as the next guy but I also don't like drug test because they discriminate against cannabis users.

Yes, it discriminates against people using drugs that are currently illegal. When and if they are legal, it will no longer discriminate against them.

They have 8 days to vote? Voting booths are almost universally open for at least 12 hours a day. If these people are working 12 hours a day 7 days a week, and only working during the time the voting booths are open then two things are obvious:

1) They have crappy work hours and they need to ask their employer to give them an hour to go vote (if they don't want to take their federally mandated lunch time), and

2) it's unlikely they're poor as they are getting hefty paychecks for all that time worked.

/TOA

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Laokin

No that has absolutely nothing to do with it. "Early voting" was created only as a convenience when US voting percentage was at very low standards. Has nothing what so ever to do with helping "minorities" vote. You might have to stand in line for 2 hours or more, maybe minorities have problems standing in lines? The last presidential vote I stood for 45 mins. There were minorities in line too!

Personally, I think saying minorities need 8+ days to vote is a bit insulting to their intelligence. If someone can't make it out on vote day, they didn't want to vote.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join