It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Masonic G

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Both Pike and Mackey believed that the "G" was there simply because it stood for the English word "God", and that it should be replaced by the Hebrew letter Yod.

Case, in his "The Masonic Letter G", disputes this idea with an interesting argument which, too detailed to go into here, is a fine little book for those interested in the subject.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 02:50 AM
link   
Is it not G for generation?

The G-spot?

Good times?

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
The word God is a title. Masonry does not promote secularism. This is why there is no Yod, or a J or any other letter. The letter Yod would be leaning toward the god of Israel in particular. And would not be fair
To those who refer to the Great Architect of the Universe by a different personal name. A title is most appropriate
edit on 17-8-2011 by Themadalchemist because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 02:10 AM
link   
The G CANNOT stand for God, and here's why:
they are a renaissance, enlightened group...They would use the Latin form of God. So they would've used a D to represent god, for Deus..Remember they liked to keep things hidden from the public...they wouldn't use the word for god that everyone knows...it's not a subliminal message because most people in the general public haven't even heard of the freemasons.

I read that it represents St. Germain. The G represents Germain. G standing for God makes no sense at all...

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost375
The G CANNOT stand for God...G standing for God makes no sense at all...

From the Fellowcraft Degree, second section;

"And where for the first time my Brother your attention is Masonically directed to the letter 'G'. It is the intial of God ..."

edit on 18-8-2011 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by AugustusMasonicus

That same degree also defines the G for Geometry, and since I happen to love math, and I love the organization in nature, such as the golden ratio, one could argue that it could stand for God and Geometry at the same time, since Geometry is the fingerprint of God on nature.

I don't necessarily think the statement you quote means the G is the first letter in the name of God. It could be G as the first initial in Grand Architect of the Universe or Grand Geometrician or Grand Artificer.

I could be wrong, because I realize things are further defined in later Scottish Rite degrees, so I defer to your knowledge, but I have never taken that statement literally. I don't believe G necessarily stands for "God."

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Ghost375

Your post is incorrect, and here's why:
Your assuming the letter G refers to a Latin word or that all our words, symbols, and so forth derive from Latin roots. You're also assuming that the G is used with all Square & Compasses around the world of Freemasonry.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by KSigMason

I hear that in Spain its a "D" that is displayed, and an Alif in the Mohammedans

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Masonic Light
Both Pike and Mackey believed that the "G" was there simply because it stood for the English word "God", and that it should be replaced by the Hebrew letter Yod.

Case, in his "The Masonic Letter G", disputes this idea with an interesting argument which, too detailed to go into here, is a fine little book for those interested in the subject.

This post is the most correct in this thread.

First, one must realize there are many different orders/lodges of Freemasonry. The "G" was never found in operative masonry (think of it as "guys who built the cathedrals"). The "G" has no clear introduction into the Craft until American lodges were formed. I'm sure there are lodges in Europe that have also adopted the "G" inside the square and compasses though this is not widely the case nor is it a standard of any kind.

If you are not a Mason and want a straight forward answer to the letter "G" read Mackey. The conclusion is a Yod as is used in Scottish Rite Masonry.

If you like your language more philosophical check out Pike who arrives at the same conclusion which is why Scottish Rite uses the Yod so frequently.

If Hermeticsm/Alchemy/Qabalah is your thing then Paul Foster Case's "The Masonic Letter G" is your answer. He was quite the esoteric mason and roots his origins of the "G" in Hermetic Qabalah. This is largely unknown to today's Freemasons though in Case's time occult circles were coming off a theosophical high and experiencing the Golden Dawn so the meanings of Masonry from his viewpoint are deep and in accord with the divine arts.

Hope this helps, I encourage you all to do research even if you are not a Freemason. All of the texts are available so read for yourself and don't take anyone else's "answers" as your own without spending time with the source yourself. If nothing else, go down to a local lodge and talk with the members about your questions and judge for yourself their sincerity and base it for your own research.

And the sun in the center of the square and compasses is simply the symbol denoting a past master of a Lodge meaning they served a term as Worshipful Master sitting in the East where the Sun rises. This is no masonic secret.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by LookingIntoIt

Originally posted by Masonic Light

This post is the most correct in this thread.

I Agree 100%.....

First, one must realize there are many different orders/lodges of Freemasonry. The "G" was never found in operative masonry (think of it as "guys who built the cathedrals"). The "G" has no clear introduction into the Craft until American lodges were formed. I'm sure there are lodges in Europe that have also adopted the "G" inside the square and compasses though this is not widely the case nor is it a standard of any kind..

Use of the G started in England. I promise you.

If you are not a Mason and want a straight forward answer to the letter "G" read Mackey. The conclusion is a Yod as is used in Scottish Rite Masonry.

Mackey and Pike were well educated for their time, however in their time there was a lot of romantic silliness. G being taken to mean "God" is a later interpretation, however it is VERY VERY doubtful this was the original purpose. Geometry is the older tradition, and there are some convincing arguments it might also be the first letter of a certain someone's name.

Hope this helps, I encourage you all to do research even if you are not a Freemason. All of the texts are available so read for yourself and don't take anyone else's "answers" as your own without spending time with the source yourself. If nothing else, go down to a local lodge and talk with the members about your questions and judge for yourself their sincerity and base it for your own research.

Many masons at the local lodge will also likely agree that it means "God" the problem is Masonry has gone through two very important eras where much of it's history was obscured. After the Anti-Mason period, many changes were made to appease the beginning backlash from religious fundementalists of Victorian America. Which I still find more then a little ironic, given why those denominations have a home in this country...in any case, before this time period the skull on a ring was a more common symbol then the now familiar G. The other period was of course not long after Masonry came out of secrecy into the light in the 1700's, especially after it went to France. Romance won out over historical accuracy more often then not, and all sorts of crazy traditions and myths began in this period, but are unlikely to have ever existed within masonry prior to the 1700's.....By that time even many Masonic lodges understanding of their past had faltered....which is also why so many had a hard time agreeing on many traditions.

Pike and Mackery were smart men, but to them the early writings of the 1700's were often valid merely due to their age or prestige often, and both were romantics themselves. They did not discipline much of their research with the sort of skepticism modern historians do.

And the sun in the center of the square and compasses is simply the symbol denoting a past master of a Lodge meaning they served a term as Worshipful Master sitting in the East where the Sun rises. This is no masonic secret.

Agree again!

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join