It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Suspected Fracking-Fluid Filled Barrels Found in Creek Near Clinton AR

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

The spelling is coming from the articles from several news websites.
arkansasmatters.com...
www.todaysthv.com...
edit on 20-5-2011 by JBA2848 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

The fracing method varies depending on the type of environment. When I was younger my dad brought home a pickup bed full of "frac sand" that was sand that had a VERY large grain size (like the beads you find in a hackey sack). It was used out near a place locally known as "Rattlesnake Gap" on some operations being drilled near there.

I have also seen plain water used in this region, but they normally will not frac with water over aquifers (we have the Edwards Aquifer near here). But in my childhood hometown of Coahoma, TX (pop less than 1000) there is a series of wells that feed from an aquifer that was horribly tainted in the early days of frac drilling. You can't really even water your grass with the water because of how high the sulfur content is.
edit on 20-5-2011 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by JBA2848

The spelling is coming from the articles from several news websites.

Yes, i know. And us out here in West Texas are grimacing over it.

Like i said, not that it really matters. But misspelling it creates a lack of clarity, thanks to all those darned cyclons.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by firepilot

Thanks for this info --- Lot is done with people jumping to conclusions --- Trouble is MORE is done with no one knowing what is going on ---Keeping people that should know (or have the right to know & more) kept out of loop. I think these behind the scenes types (cheaters, liars, --- hmmm - all our leaders) are by definition: If one knowingly does something or does nothing when they should "do", hides, deceives, twists the truth and/or does something for THEIR OWN GOOD (or their friends or investors only) do evil and as such ARE EVIL -- And evil should be dealt with by all means possible --and should not be "sugar-coated" or "excuses made"! Time for Leaders to lead by example, do what they say, and pay the price (i.e. if someone dies because of what they did, then maybe the same fate for that leader --not "I plead the 5th" and let go free to do more evil (harm).

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Seems theres even more problems in the area.
arkansasnews.com...

The part we already know.

The barrels carried labels from Total Separation Solutions LLC of Houston. Most of the barrels said “Sta Foam D,” though at least one was marked “Anchor Drilling Fluids USA, Inc.”

“We’re contacting the manufacturers and asking them questions about what exactly was inside the barrels and who they possibly could have been marketed or sold to,” Pond-Mayo said.

And the other problems in the area.

In another incident involving gas and oil drilling operations in Van Buren County, a containment pond at a pad in Alread is leaking.

The pond was built about two years ago and the plastic lining is full of holes. Hundreds of gallons of drilling fluids have leaked onto the ground and into a nearby stream.

The stream feeds into Wilson Creek, which is the headwater of South Fork River that flows into Greers Ferry Lake.

And this part shows why no one is paying attention to where there barrels of chemicals are or if there containment ponds are doing there jobs.

The well pad is owned by Storm Cat Energy USA, a company that is currently in bankruptcy court in Colorado

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Heres a picture from Storm Cat Energies website from back in 2008.

classic-web.archive.org...

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Another thing to remember, is that just because it is "drilling fluids", can be different things. The most common drilling "fluid" would be drilling mud, which is usually in a large pit and constantly being recirculated for drill bit cooling and to put enough weight inside the casing pipe to prevent a blowout.

And of course other kinds are the acid for fracturing, and the above mentioned biocide too.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   

regards tracebility - do these chemicals require " batch numbering " - and if so what soet of batch size - if there is a batch number - it SHOULD make tracing pretty straight forward

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape

regards tracebility - do these chemicals require " batch numbering " - and if so what soet of batch size - if there is a batch number - it SHOULD make tracing pretty straight forward

Depending on what is used, certainly. If you are just using non-potable water, or pure sand, then you wouldn't.

But any harsh chemical will have an OSHA requirement for tracking. If the barrels used were the original barrels, not only will they find out who did it, but whoever did it might be the stupidest person on Earth. Not sure how things are in "oil country" in Arkansas, but around here you can get a 55 gallon drum for free, almost anywhere. Out in the country people burn their trash in them. When I was a kid dad used to keep his beer cans in them. It was how we paid for 4th of July fireworks each year. A five minute search would get new barrels so that you could have been tracked.
edit on 20-5-2011 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
There is a town to the south of where I live called Big Lake, TX. When you drive by the "Big Lake" that they have there is a sign in the middle of it asking, "Who pulled the plug on the Big Lake?". It is completely dry excepting the occasional torrential rain that puts some small amount of water into it through runoff.

Several years ago (I think back in the 60's, but that fact escapes me) when fracture drilling first started taking off, a series of blasts shifted rocks and boulders underground, shifting the path of the aquifers that fed the lake. It quickly dried up.

Big Lake is known as the Grand Daddy of the West Texas oilfield. There was, and still is, a LOT of oil activity in the area. The area around the lake is still somewhat polluted from the pre-bust years (1980's).

Another little tidbit about that town. If you watch "The Rookie", they are talking about Big Lake. The school is known by both the names Big Lake and Reagan County.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Thought you guys might appreciate an update on this story:

The barrels being in the creek HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH ANY DRILLING COMPANY, NOR DID THEY HAVE ANY CHEMICALS IN THEM. Testing has proved it. I will repeat again for anyone who has issues understanding, the chemicals in the creek water DID NOT COME FROM THE BARRELS FOUND.

The barrels were sold to a local man to use for training his horses in BARREL RACING. He bought the barrels from the drilling company and they were empty when they came into his possession. The barrels ended up in the creek by being carried with the floodwaters during the storms which recently overtook and damaged many of the cities in our state – causing most to be called disaster areas.

arkansasnews.com...

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Itachimaru

thay have just suspended this in blackpool as there was 2 earthquakes. there waiting on an investagation.
edit on 6-6-2011 by leejones because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-6-2011 by leejones because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by BornOfTheWaves
Thought you guys might appreciate an update on this story:

The barrels being in the creek HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH ANY DRILLING COMPANY, NOR DID THEY HAVE ANY CHEMICALS IN THEM. Testing has proved it. I will repeat again for anyone who has issues understanding, the chemicals in the creek water DID NOT COME FROM THE BARRELS FOUND.

The barrels were sold to a local man to use for training his horses in BARREL RACING. He bought the barrels from the drilling company and they were empty when they came into his possession. The barrels ended up in the creek by being carried with the floodwaters during the storms which recently overtook and damaged many of the cities in our state – causing most to be called disaster areas.

arkansasnews.com...

Funny how so many were willing to jump on the accusatory bandwagon, but when the reality came out, its silence.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Yeah, and widespread flooding will wash contaminants from anywhere into water systems.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join