It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Over 20 Dead as Syrian Forces Fire Into Crowds of Protesters

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Over 20 Dead as Syrian Forces Fire Into Crowds of Protesters

www.foxnews.com

At least 21 people are dead after Syrian forces fired live rounds into crowds of protesters as thousands took to the streets for pro-democracy demonstrations, according to Reuters.

The attacks took place in the suburbs of Damascus, Hama and Deraa, according to Al-Jazeera.

Witnesses say 11 and 16-year-old boys are among the dead, Al-Jazeera reports.

One of the attacks took place after Syria's secret police drove cars into the demonstrators trying to break up a protest. After one of the cars crashed, police jumped out and opened fire, according to Al-Jazeera.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Wow. I guess Assad didnt get Obama's message yesterday eh? He responds by having his forces launch their deadliest attacks yet against their own peopple including children. What is going on here? I thought the Syrian regime were good upstanding guys since they are allied with the always great, responsible and trustworthy Iranians? Are the Syrian people just that horrible that the government needs to kill them? Very interesting!!

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 20-5-2011 by princeofpeace because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Not to mention how the monarchies of Bahrain and Saudi Arabia are handling their uprisings... maybe NATO should send some "air support" their way.

Oh yeah, I forgot, Syria has no more oil, and the contracts with Bahrain and Saudi Arabia have already been signed... oh well, tough luck for their citizens, they should know better then to want democracy in countries that already export their wealth to western corporations.

the Billmeister

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
I haven't saw any video that clearly shows Syrian Security Forces shooting at civilians...
Lots of video/photos of dead people and gun shots heard.

I'M NOT SAYING that it's not true.. I just.. I dunno... Sure they have a sick a cruel leader, but is Assad directly telling military commanders to engage their own public?...

Proof?

(I haven't read many Syrian related threads)

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I'm not even sure if Syria has open internet communication lines going in and out of the country, this might account for the lack of information from citizens within. I would imagine that regime has a fairly solid lockdown on all information coming out of the country especially when you look at what they have done in the past to thier own people; past uprisings that have taken place and then been completely crushed. Foreign journalists are currently banned from even reporting on anyting taking place inside of Syria so any NEWS that does come out cannot be verified by multiple sources...

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by CanadianDream420
I haven't saw any video that clearly shows Syrian Security Forces shooting at civilians...

I'M NOT SAYING that it's not true.. I just.. I dunno... Sure they have a sick a cruel leader, but is Assad directly telling military commanders to engage their own public?...

Proof?

How are you gonna film people getting shot, because your gonna be one of those getting shot at your not gonna stand there filming with ur camera if your getting shot at, your gonna run away before you get killed, thats why there aint any video of people getting shot

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Aljazeera is reporting it as well and they are right there in the vacinity:

english.aljazeera.net...

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by CanadianDream420

I haven't saw any video that clearly shows Syrian Security Forces shooting at civilians... Lots of video/photos of dead people and gun shots heard.

I think that the fact that authorities have total control other borders,media (including internet) and no foreign journalists. Even Al-Jazeera cannot operate there. This kind of hints that Syrian leaders are trying to stop information from spreading. Kind of hints where the truth is too.

edit on 20-5-2011 by ZeroKnowledge because: oopsy

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by princeofpeace

Aljazeera is reporting it as well and they are right there in the vacinity:

english.aljazeera.net...

Thanks, much more trustworthy than FOX news IMO

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by princeofpeace

They might have more info then others ,but

New York, April 27, 2011--Responding to restrictions and attacks on its staff, Al-Jazeera has suspended its operations inside Syria indefinitely, the Qatar-based news network told the Committee to Protect Journalists today.

www.cpj.org...
No journalists with camera crews on the ground. Since they will be in the ground pretty fast.
edit on 20-5-2011 by ZeroKnowledge because: oopsy2

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Itop1

Proof?

How are you gonna film people getting shot, because your gonna be one of those getting shot at your not gonna stand there filming with ur camera if your getting shot at, your gonna run away before you get killed, thats why there aint any video of people getting shot

I mean from safe distance.. a rooftop, or such?

LOTS of WWII footage on the beaches of Normandy on D-Day..........................
edit on 20-5-2011 by CanadianDream420 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
If the POTUS is serious about a deal with Israel over the 1967 borders. One way to really make a deal is to remove Syria from the equation. They are the only nation, openly hostile on Israel's border.

I would not be surprised if this is offered. Will Israel take the deal though, being NATO removes Syria, guarantees Israel's security, while Israel withdraws to its 1967 borders.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Sure they have a sick a cruel leader, but is Assad directly telling military commanders to engage their own public?

Why hasn't Assad denounced the killings then? Perhaps he has lost control of his own military, at which point he should have either ask for outside assistance or gotten out of the way so someone else can take care of the crisis. His lack of action and leadership in regards to these murders squarely places the responsibility upon his shoulders.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
You know Mubarak is kicking himself right now.

new topics

top topics

join