It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do you cover all the bases?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   
It seems to me that no matter how hard you prepare for SHTF, you would miss at least one little thing that could make all your preparations worthless.

Example: You build a beautiful bunker, study permaculture, stock up on 15 year's worth of canned food, have all the medicine you need, etc etc...but you forgot about nuclear shielding (after all, the cold war's been over for 20 years, right?) and a reactor near you melts down. Fail.

I never thought about radiation so seriously before. Now, of course, its on everyone's mind.

So the question is, how can we reasonably be sure to prepare for every major "category" of disaster? Forgetting an entire "category", like radiation, seems like massive failure to me, yet a very easy thing to do.

I know life is inherently unpredictable, and there is always something that can go wrong, but what have you done/can you do to make sure you cover as many basic categories of disaster in your plans as possible?

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   
you can not prepare!!

if you believe, pray to God and hope
if you don't believe have faith in your luck

but I don't think one or the other will help you, to me is always 50/50 chance

edit on 20-5-2011 by KrzYma because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
You cannot be fully prepared for anything, Murphy is always lurking around the next corner. You do the best you can and learn to do more with less. In the event of a nuclear event, basically, as I see it all bets are off if it were to get to that stage.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Partygirl

Come with me and leave this planet!
And don't worry, I'm a Mormon to...........

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Any plan you come up with will always have a hole in it somewhere. You'll either disregard a detail, overlook something or placed the odds on something to low and well it happens.

Your reactor example is slightly silly. If you're living in area with a nuclear reactor you should be expecting it will meltdown in a SHTF situation and should take proper steps to protect yourself.

Never expect things will go right, expect them to go wrong.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Partygirl
It seems to me that no matter how hard you prepare for SHTF, you would miss at least one little thing that could make all your preparations worthless.

Example: You build a beautiful bunker, study permaculture, stock up on 15 year's worth of canned food, have all the medicine you need, etc etc...but you forgot about nuclear shielding (after all, the cold war's been over for 20 years, right?) and a reactor near you melts down. Fail.

I never thought about radiation so seriously before. Now, of course, its on everyone's mind.

So the question is, how can we reasonably be sure to prepare for every major "category" of disaster? Forgetting an entire "category", like radiation, seems like massive failure to me, yet a very easy thing to do.

I know life is inherently unpredictable, and there is always something that can go wrong, but what have you done/can you do to make sure you cover as many basic categories of disaster in your plans as possible?

prepare for the major problems, and when the other ones strike, prepare for them then. That is my plan, i am prepared for several scenarios, where I don't have to worry about being attacked, but the others I can prepare for easily.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
My preparation is set up for mobility and adaptation. Living in a heavily populated area will not serve well for me, and I will work on getting away from the masses quickly and quietly

Confusion will be used to my advantage and having lesser traveled routes prepared to reach my family and assure their well being is my initial focus.

Mental preparation is also key to survival, if you can't keep a level head than fear will take over and impede any progress you could have made.
edit on 5/20/2011 by TheRealTruth84 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   
So much of survival is winging it.

You can't possible cover all the bases. But what you can do is create an education substrate that you can build on with experience and quick thinking. Survival is a state of mind, not a school you can go to.

Learn to improvise.
edit on 20-5-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Partygirl

You can't cover all the bases, but if you get three or four of the most likely scenarios nailed down and tucked in, you've cut down the odds against you in most situations you might face.

Just like when ppl ask what the "perfect" survival weapon is, there is no perfect plan. No plan ever survives unscathed when it runs head-long into a specific reality.

When the SHTF you have a fluid situation, one that requires being able to roll with the punches and adapt to reality on the fly.

There ain't no one-size fits all survival strategy.
edit on 20-5-2011 by mydarkpassenger because: add

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Murphy's law: whatever can go wrong, will.

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best. If it's a situation that is anything hopeful (IE not being blasted away immediately) then your preparations for the "worst case scenario" will cover most of it. That's how we have begun to plan.

new topics

top topics

join