It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There is only one thing I hate more than a failed prophecy...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
... and that is the ignorance from people of little faith in anything.

I'm going to come out and paint this picture nice and clear. The whole May 21st thing, sure it is probably bunk. I don't buy into it all that much, and people have painted reasons as to why not to buy into it. That is all fine and dandy but what angers me the most is when people decide to ignore a prophecy by creating their own, thus becoming completely ignorant hypocrites.

While nothing will probably happen tonight into tomorrow, the mark of the ignorant is upon those who will deny any possibility that something MIGHT happen. The truly open minded are the ones that defiant to all naysayers, believe that even if the possibility is so slim, so meager, there is still a CHANCE that something just might happen with this prophecy.

And that is how all predictions should be, especially ones that have gained quite a bit of ground. I understand that people are angered by the fact of so many failed predictions in the past, but please people - the actions of some are giving birth to the utterly faithless, the complacent, and the unwarned. I have seen it with this, I see it with 2012, and I have seen it in the past.

It is fine to doubt, but when people flat out declare that "come May 22nd everything will be normal" they are becoming the prophets themselves. Why should we believe them anymore than anyone else? They do not give creed to possibility, and their only faith lies within the utterances of their own minds. Their selfishness outshines all bounds of possibility by declaring that they somehow know what the future holds while denying the words of others.

Now don't get me wrong here. I am not saying that people should run around in fear and scream that the end of the world is coming. What I am saying is that something that could change the world in its entirety could happen at any time - YES including a prophetical date that has become popular, People seem to think that once a prediction goes main stream that come that day, everything and everyone is invincible. There is no possible way that anything could happen then... why? Because it leads to people questioning their lacks of faith.

People get so worked up over failed prophecies on here, because they are the ones that work themselves up over it. In fact, it is usually the people that are the most hardcore deniers of such prophecies that speak out the most afterward, as if it was their lives that were affected by such a thing. Some people have even gone so far as to want to BAN prophecies altogether simply because it does not mesh with them and because they do not have the self control to remain away from such topics that they don't like.

I summarize by saying this. Prophesies should be taken with AT LEAST a grain of salt. Anything less is ignorance on the verge of selfishness. Anything more, without substantial evidence and proof of forthcoming, is paranoia on the verge of insanity. No one can tell me that precognition is not real in some form, as I have experienced it myself and know others personally who have done the same. Recognize that the separation between truth and faith is not a judgment for you to pass off onto everybody, but a personal decision for each person to make. If you are incapable of this mature decision, then I think it is best that you leave the prophecies to the adults who can handle them and see them for what they truly are: a tiny leap of faith, that has equal chance disappointment as it does in fulfillment.

Thank you for your time.

-Gwyd
edit on 20-5-2011 by gwydionblack because: grammar fix

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
I agree. I don't really buy in to any predictions but there is always a chance they could happen. Anything is possible at any and every moment. It's impossible to make a 100% prediction that something WON'T happen.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Im no prophet, I just dont think it is going to happen.

People are getting bizzare about the 21st and that leads me to believe that some bizzare stuff will go down12-21-12.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
I reckon its just a distraction - why do you think its getting so much coverage by mainstream media?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by gwydionblack

I thought your post brought up some very valid points.

Things can go wrong at any given minute,for a variety of reasons.

It is sad though that some would choose to quit their jobs, for the sake of a prophecy, and even sadder that some are perpetuating the rumour more out of desire for wanting it to be true, than in actual faith of it being true.

Really just wanted to commnet on your well written post, and add that as ludicrious as these prophecies and different faiths are to some, its wisest in my opinion not to ridicule people.

I myself need to learn this lesson over and over.
You will not change someone's thinking by poking ,and making fun of them. All that accomplishes is showing an unkind, egotistical side of the person doing the ridiculing.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I agree, while the rapture may not occur, it is possible something else may happen. I would not put it past any of the PTB to use this prediction to further their own goals. On a spritual level, it could mean very bad things for Christians as a whole because it is another failed end of the world scenerio. People like Camping and Westboro do far more harm than good to Christianity. I must admit though, I am somewhat interested in what the next few days may bring.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
I have another picture to paint on this subject. From my experience from seeing televangelist on TV, the one thing that churches worship almost as much as God is money. Its always about getting donations and bringing in lots of money under the guise of pleasing god. For a while now the churches have all been failing financially due to the economy. A dire end times prophecy seems like a pretty good way to boost revenue. Tidings for your soul right? I am sure anyone buying in to this have made at least small donations in recent weeks. Timing is everything and in my opinion this whole thing stinks and falls somewhere between faith, ignorance and just plain stupidity with the only benefit going to the churches bottom line. I really feel bad for those poor people who have quit their jobs and wasted their saving. They will wake up Sunday with nothing. That must be the tormented people left behind they are talking about.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Is not the people of littler faith in nothing that you have to worry about, but those that are falling for the mass hysteria been generated by the promotion of end of time base on 2012 predictions or recreated predictions that has been on going for centuries by Christianity.

People will die at the result of this scaremongering, people will profit from the death, and when the profecies stay unfulfilled after the do days more day will come forward.

This is a cycle that has gone on since the birth of Christianity and the desire of people to believe in a higher being.

Will this end of time failure end the prophecy making? will people enlighten once and for all?

No, why? because as long as profits are to be made is more doomsday to be exploited.

edit on 20-5-2011 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Before I read the OP, I thought from the title that it would read " ...and that is someone who makes money from a failed prophecy."

I would think that you would hate someone who is scamming money more than your target in this thread. Here's why I believe this;

World changing events in the last decade - 9/11, the Boxing Day Tsunami and Fukushima. Events like these happen once every 3-4 years, so on any given day there is a 1 in 1000 chance that something earth shattering will happen.

Going by Harold Camping's record, and of some other guy who predicted a similiar rapture complete with book-for-sale every year since 1988, the chances of any world changing event that Camping was referring to in his prediction is nil. The chances of an event that he may be able to point to as a sign or as evidence of his claim, to retain some credibility, is 1 in a 1000, but the 2 will not be related.

Take a look here, www.newswithviews.com...

Even Christians are angry. When people say that nothing will happen, they mean that the prediction is bunk and is a waste of everyone's time, and in this case, money.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   

While you are in some way right, I think the main problem is when people are making money from a prophesy it is fraud, and it disgusts a lot of people, myself included. I have no problems with someone reporting a dream and saying they feel it will come true, or with some one looking at an astrological chart and predicting a certain alignment of the planets will cause an EQ, they are looking at data and trying to find a correlation and good on them, it can often be informative although they are mostly wrong, it still makes interesting reading

Harold Camping on the other hand, is pushing this and pushing this, which would normally be fine, but his radio station has made some $70 million dollars from it, he has taken so $18 million dollars this year, now seriously what does someone who actually really believes that the end of the world is coming, judgement day, need with $70 million dollars?

Because of this people get worked up over it, I mean he has convinced people so much they have given up their jobs, sold their homes, what are they telling their kids? Gods coming to kill you tomorrow, how sweet and loving of those parents, peoples lives will be ruined because of this and so he should be getting a lot of flak, hell he should be charged with fraud come the 22nd

The guy predicted it all before and when it didn't happen in 1994, he put it down to his calculations being wrong, oh but they are right this time... And oh they will be right the next time, and the time after

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Surely it would be more christian like to be emptying the church coffers to go forth and give the underprivaliged starving masses at least one last decent meal and show some of that often hailed christian charity.

Perhas not, no profit in that.

By their deeds shall ye know them. (works for me and sounds biblical!)
edit on 20-5-2011 by chiptrim because: addition to post

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Many people bring up the profiteering involved. I agree, it isn't right to make money off of paranoia and chaos, but ever since history began there have been cases of it happening. Do we blame the people responsible for causing such, or do we blame the people who are gullible enough to fall for such?

As many people state, it is survival of the fittest. People are held to their decisions in what they do in accordance to this prophecy. In rainbow and gumdrop land, every person would see through such ploys and announce the hypocrisy in making money for an event that is to end the world. Sadly, we don't live in that world and thus the people that go about their actions in a way that hurts themselves or puts themselves as an inferior position - hopefully they will learn from their mistakes and not do it again.

Christianity is given a bad name by a slew of failed predictions, however, this is nothing new. Humans recognize human fallacy and if they do share in the same faith, they also realize that divinity will choose to end the world when it sees fit - not on account of some false prophet. There will be no "for sure" in the matter,

Regardless of what happens, Christianity wins on this one.

A. The rapture occurs and they are proven right.

B. A great false prophet is found and thus proof that Revelations is occurring exactly as written.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
NO
Prophets should be fined ..no one can predict exact happening of some big event ..i believe in life,love ,my family
and not in some crook who makes money from people faith

top topics

join