It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Doomsday promoters should be prosecuted for mass end of time suicides

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Griffo

That is what I am trying to show, that when it comes to trusty people is many gullible out there that will do anything including suicide when things do not go the way they had it planned.

People has been planning the end of the world for centuries but it always had failed, now they are feeding this round with the Mayan calender and many actually think this is it.

What happen when this doomsday comes and go, many, like you said have sold their homes, properties and business.

Many are stocking up, spend their savings and retirement accounts.

This is where many suicides will come from, desperation and despair.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

I don't care how charismatic someone is, everyone still has a personal choice. That is exactly how the government thinks. We are too stupid to know whats best for us, so we have to pass laws to keep you from hurting yourself.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Griffo
It's ridiculous, thankfully I live in the UK and I don't think many people are aware of the so called rapture. I was reading a story where some fella quit his job and sold his house in preparation for tomorrow, I'm sure he will have a question or two for Harold Camping on Sunday.

Any money that on Sunday, Camping will pick one (or more) of the following excuses: "god has shown his mercy"; "god works in mysterious ways"; "god has spared the world because of us"; "it was a test of faith"; "god has given the world another chance."

Anyone want to hedge a bet as to which phrases he will use?

Unfortunately on the likes of SKY we still have a great chunk of religious channels that I've seen banging it out. GOD channel loves it's rapture business. Though you are right - I doubt many people in the UK will catch it or care since it's an annoying stop gap between the News channels and babestation.

Having lived through my fair share of Doom days, I'll probably do as I usually do. Sit in a pub, gazing out of the window watching everyone go about their business without a care in the world, while I ponder what effect it'll have on others.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 08:06 AM
link   
no...not the 'believers'

lets hold the proponents of doomsday dates accountable...
they can go around spreading fear & distress, causing the duped individuals to quit jobs,
sell homes, spend all their savings....and completely wipe out their futures

now those misguided souls...or evil Svengali,,, or outright Charlatansought to be prosecuted to the fullest

just as all the elite bankers and execs from GS and JPM & the other financial terrorists should be...

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Financial gurus should be prosecuted too, since people commit suicide if they lose their life savings due to bad investment advice.

Let's also add FedGov for its "terror alerts", scientists for "climategate", The Mayans, Nostradamus, the Muslims, and about 80% of ATS members. That should take care of it.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by wardk28
reply to post by marg6043[/i

That is exactly how the government thinks. We are too stupid to know whats best for us, so we have to pass laws to keep you from hurting yourself.

Sadly you are right, that is why government intervention in the spreading of fears when it comes to religious believes is none existent or they turn their heads the other way.

When people died at the results of mass hysteria, then there comes big government to impose laws to control the people.

Still rather than going after those that spread the propaganda in the beginning.

Why? because our big government always capitalize on tragedy.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by watchitburn
That is absurd. Prosecute someone because other people are stupid and kill themselves?

If someone is so incapable of thinking for themselves that they would commit suicide because some goofball's prophesy doesn't come true, then let them.

i am reminded of Bill Hicks.... "good, the world just got lighter...we lost a moron!"

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   
If that mcdonalds lady can sue over hot coffee then I bet someone can/will sue over being told it was the end. Both are ridiculous.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Thing is tho, no matter what data some may feel is accurate their actions done to themselves is WILL related. NO one forced them to do this they could research and see what stabalizes those who see nothing and those who feel SOMETHING and make logical decisions from there.
edit on 5/20/11 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

Exactly, is many that make a business to promote lies, as usual follow the money, because while the end of days is approaching and rapture is around the corner, somebody is capitalizing on this and making profits

Sad but truth, nothing is done in this nation that doesn't have money signs in it.

I wonder if those that sold their homes, business and empty retirement accounts are willingly giving their money to their religious leaders and Churches.

You are right I should have poste relgious leaders and promoters no believers

edit on 20-5-2011 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Doomsday believers should be prosecuted for mass end of time suicides

People inclined to suicide do not have a 'doomsday' trigger, just as they don't get nudged by video games to commit horrendous crimes or pushed to do drugs from rap lyrics. These could be contributing factors to single events but... the personality that produces this kind of behavior doesn't conceive in an instant. They are like ticking time bombs, just waiting for this moment or the next.

If not doomsday, something else would come along and tip them over.

Further, the control of individual belief has been long sought-after. First by kings and tyrants, then by religious inquisitions and now by science and those who hold themselves in such high regard as to think that they have all the answers and if you don't buy into their perfect program, you should be locked away.

If I think tomorrow will be doomsday, who are you to say that it won't be until tomorrow at midnight when it all has passed?

We are just not as smart as we like to think we are... and as such, the ever-present desire of some to lord their views and beliefs over the whole is really a far greater danger.

Our only hope is that they all get civil jobs as family councilors or PTA secretaries... so we can I.D. them more easily.

Cheers!
edit on 20-5-2011 by redoubt because: typos

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

Thanks for the tip I fix the tittle of the thread, Udio as usual you know how to tackle issues.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   
I am a believer, and it's people like Camping that makes us seem like a bunch stupid rabid chickens with our heads cut off.

I'm tired of all these predictions, it's as much some religious leaders faults as it is the weak ones that actually think that killing themselves is better.

Some people are just stupid, it's that simple of an answer. There are many words to describe stupid all you have to do is pick and pin the tail on the donkey.

The world is going to end when it's going to end and if God does in fact concludes it, it will be a moment that slaps us upside the head, not from radio and internet vessels trying to feel ordained as a leader of man.

These people making these predictions should be barred from the church and stripped of their duties as religious council.

You stop the instigator, you stop the planted ideas into minds of those that are weak enough to become zombies of the moment.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Lets face it - the followers/believers of all this in the end will end up prosecuting themselves for their stupidity

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   

I think it's insulting to the Constitution to suggest we have thought police.
The only thing I'm against is if someone is actively calling out people to commit violence or to kill the President.
If people would actually take the time to go and read what the Holy Bible says, then there'd be no confusion about this.
edit on 20-5-2011 by soaringhawk because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by soaringhawk

Just remember that been as long as I have been in this site is all about kindness not insults and going after people.

You get more respect with meaningful debate and honest criticism than insulting other members.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by JAGx1981

Agree... but here's that control issue again. People have a right to form groups or clubs and make up rules for membership. But there's nothing to stop people like Camping from advertising their beliefs and forming a cult or club or "church" who won't throw him out.

The reason such people gain followings is because of groupthink and the replacement of the simple faith and life Jesus set up with just another hierarchy (the apostles also warned that as soon as they died there would be "wolves scattering the flock"). Instead of teaching believers to be discerning and wise and informed, they teach them to be like baby birds in a nest. And it isn't just churches... schools do the same thing. They teach students to regurgitate facts that the state wants them to know, not to think independently. Everything today, even in business, is groupthink and consensus, the Borg hive mind mentality (aka the Hegelian Dialectic).

So this Camping issue is the tip of the iceberg. We all have to decide where the balance lies between freedom and boundaries, and between individual responsibility and corporate responsibility.
edit on 20-5-2011 by SaberTruth because: added Hegelian Dialectic

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   
I figure there doing us all a favor...In the grand scheme of things, why is it bad if a few lemmings are jumping off a cliff?
The world could stand a few less morons.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Yeah, I know.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   

With all due respect, I think that the fault lies with those whom believe as well. I say it alot, but personal responsibility has to come in somewhere. It ultimately lies with the indvidual as to whether or not, beliefs should be adhered to.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join