It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Resistance is futile

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 06:59 AM
link   
So much gloom and doom around lately, I thought I would post this to cheer everybody up

A lot of talk recently about Zombie Apocalypse, I thought this story would be of interest to ATSers.

Imagine a disease that invades your body.

A Zombie disease that takes control of your mind.

One day you're feeling fine, the next day you find a fungus growing out of the pores of your skin. The fungus spreads to your brain, slowly killing you, but before you die the organism takes control of your mind and compels you to clamp your teeth around some fresh meat. YOU!!!

The fungus pops out of the top of the head infects you and anybody else the zombie has bitten, so the cycle continues.

It sounds like science fiction but this is pretty much what happens with the Cordyceps fungus. (with a little bit of creative license)

I certainly hope this little bugger doesn't evolve. Today the insect-world, tomorrow humanity. (for all the same reasons actually)

Sir David Attenborough and the Planet Earth team discover the weird world of the Cordyceps; killer fungi that invades the body of an insect to grow and diminish the insect population. Fascinating animal and wildlife video from the BBC epic natural world masterpiece 'Planet Earth'.

Did a search and this subject has been posted before but didn't generate much interest in 2008 so I thought an new thread wouldn't hurt.

Linky 1
Linky 2

Story on MailOnline
edit on 20-5-2011 by kennyb72 because: spelling

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 07:02 AM
link   
the entire of essence of life is the will to fight on through whatever obstacle. nothing stops life.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker
the entire of essence of life is the will to fight on through whatever obstacle. nothing stops life.

Pretty insidious way of going about it though. Reminds me of the Borg spreading itself across the universe. I think it is quite feasible that a fungus could adapt to another host i,e humans

join