It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution Faces Mass Opposition from LAUSD

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Peruvianmonk
reply to post by Havick007

Why is it ignorant?

I find him very offensive. He criticises a lot of working class people within the U.S. & U.K. on what they feed their kids, even the ones who aren't obese! Parents don't have any money, parents work all hours off the day, it isn't easy. Unlike for him and his mulit milliond pund empire.

I don't care what he is trying to do, it isn't his place.

It doesn't cost a fortune to each healthy. It's also surprising how these so called poor working class families can afford to spend, the money you claim they don't have, on expensive game systems, ipods, cellphones, etc etc.
Admittedly not all, so dont go accusing me of mass generalisation!

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
The US is a fascist country run by corporatists and crony capitalists. We are also a nation of greedy gluttons. Private vendors contract with schools to bring on their unhealthy slop for kids to eat.

Because the US is a country of decadent capitalists, corporatists and greedy immoral gluttons obesity is the new normal.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   
I can understand why the LAUSD doesn't want Jamie in their schools. Obviously, the show isn't going to portray their cafeteria offerings in a positive light. If he does what he usually does, the LAUSD will get a massive amount of negative feedback from parents, the community, the media, etc. Which is GOOD in that it will possibly incite change, except all the fingers will be pointed at the powerless people, if Jamie continues to vilify the middlemen as he tends to do. If Jamie had shown a different approach in the first season, I'd think there would be a SLIGHT chance that schools would be more willing to participate. I can therefore understand why they're letting him play the role as an educator instead.

Which I think is more beneficial anyway! I understand that Jamie's ultimate goal is to redo cafeteria menus, but really, I think one of the best things he did in the first season was teaching cooking and better eating habits to families and students. That's what's going to have a more lasting effect, IMO. He acts like this job is something he has to settle for, but I think he should be ecstatic to be in a position to teach kids.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misterlondon
what jamie oliver is doing in america now, he did that in the uk many years ago and caused a complete overhaul in all british schools.. now they eat a healthy lunch daily.. there was opposition here at the time, but now everything has been implemented i think everyone will agree it is a good thing, and has worked quite well..
he has also started restaurants that are charity's for underprivilaged children, teaching them how to become top chefs..
i predict he will recieve a knighthood in the near future..

i do think though in america, he is going to have a real challenge to try and change things. i think the system works completely different there.
i wish him well and hope he is successful.. i mean pizza for breakfast!! among other terrible eating habits, is ridiculous, these kids are not even given a chance in life.. its up to you parents to take note of what this guy is highlighting and stop feeding your kids this poisonous crap..
in the last series of this show, the children couldnt even name the most commonly used fruit and vegetables.. things that every child in the uk can identify..

Misterlondon, you have just said everything i was going to say. I remember when Jamie was but a lad and he first came on tv, god he was annoying, but now i truly believe this guy is a saint, i remember someone asked him once why he did the commercials for Sainsburys, and he said it was to pay for his charity 15. This guy is wealthy, talented, popular and also a father of 3 young children yet he still finds time to care about other people children. Knight hood for him, prime minister next. (i actually believe this, he couldnt do a worse job than they already are)

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Peruvianmonk
reply to post by Havick007

Why is it ignorant?

I find him very offensive. He criticises a lot of working class people within the U.S. & U.K. on what they feed their kids, even the ones who aren't obese! Parents don't have any money, parents work all hours off the day, it isn't easy. Unlike for him and his mulit milliond pund empire.

I don't care what he is trying to do, it isn't his place.

eating healthy need not cost much if you know what you are doing. He educates people, what you do with that education is up to you. There is nothing wrong with that...

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   
I'm only just catching up with the programme on 4oD. I was absolutely shocked to see those young children not knowing simple things like tomatoes or potatoes! The school are at fault yes, but what about the parents? Are they not cooking fresh food at home? Are they not teaching them where chips (fries) come from? Do they all live at Maccy D's? Shocking.

What I also don't understand is why the government doesn't want healthy, intelligent children to be the future? What about the people making these rules of sugar, sugar, sugar? Do they want that same unhealthy diet for their own children?

Very scary, it reminded me of a film I watched called "Idiocracy" where everyone in the future is just plain stupid, even the president.
edit on 22-5-2011 by viber8 because: typo

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Just watched this programme and I feel so sorry for those kids.... they have no choice because business and lawyers rule.... it is a national disgrace America.......

You fought against the British many years ago to have the freedom of speech which in todays America is denied to it's future citizens.............. really really sad......

PDUK

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Very scary, it reminded me of a film I watched called "Idiocracy" where everyone in the future is just plain stupid, even the president.

reply to post by viber8

Not the greatest movie, but a great concept and the more I look at the world the more I see us moving towards an Idiocracy.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Havick007
reply to post by daryllyn

That is what i couldn't understand
The LAUSD were so opposed to this it truly amazed me.

The only thing i could think of was that the state government has some type of contract in place with mass food suppliers and could not risk the contract for political reasons...

Otherwise they just dont give a crap about the health of the children in schools. In the second clip i posted, Jamie talks to a high school student in a cooking class he was allowed to run in school, and all of her family had developed type 2 diabetes and she talked about it like she was destined to get it sooner or later... That even after this in her family, none of them had changed diets and that fast food was always more convienient.

Anothe part of the season is when he approaches an independent fast food outlet in LA and the guy is so stubborn!!!! Even after his customers tell him that he likes Jamie's food and healthier burgers.

They guy was using 30% fat patties and Jamie found a patty that was 10% fat, tasted better and was almost the same price but the guy didnt care

I genuinely like Jamie and what he's doing, but I had to sympathise with the fast food guy on that whole issue. It's okay for schools and big chain stores and parents and even fooding yourself. But you're talking about a man who runs what appeared to be a family business and is dependent on the place for income.

It's okay saying they preferred it but if they're looking for health rather than taste surely they'd have gone to Subways or some local diner that serves sandwiches and what not? I have no doubt that Jamie could immediately pull money out of his arse, get that business going and doing well with his ideas, but he can't bankroll the place forever and the novelty and appeal of some celebrity chef having a hand in the restaurant would be soon forgotten.

Also Jamie seemed to be pushing his menu on customers, and they'd hardly spit it out on camera lol. Parents and schools have a responsibility, some independent small business does not. Maybe on the same note I should go down to my local garage and tell the bloke only to fit eco-friendly parts on broken cars? Wouldn't happen.

So yeah, I thought he was wrong with that guy and seemed unable to understand his genuine concerns for the profitability of his business. The owner didn't seem unreasonable in the slightest, if you ask me.

But I have a close relative who owns a similar place and the difficulty of getting healthy food on the menu is unbelievable. The novelty soon wears off and people are back to eating cheese pies

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misterlondon
he has also started restaurants that are charity's for underprivilaged children, teaching them how to become top chefs..

He does alot of work like that. I have a friend who did some course he was involved with or operated completely, met him a few times and rates him highly.

A lot of people fancy him as fake but he seems genuine to me. Despite the fact he wants to appear cool, which does make me laugh too "bruva"

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Swizzy
I've been following him a while now. Not many people seem to take him seriously and I find it hard to understand why not. Obesity IS a massive problem today and marketing fries or "chips" as brits call them as VEGETABLE is just so faaaar from wrong.

Anyone who opposes him is clearly against health in general. Eating healthy does not need to cost more if you really think about what you're doing. Jamie Oliver I believe knows what he's doing, not some beaurocrat sitting in an office deciding to put fries into the vegetable section. COME ON.

I'm glad people are picking up on it though. I remember seeing the first time he took the idea to America and he hit quite a bit of opposition.

GO Jame Oliver, do your thing!

We still oven cook alot of chips in England. Which is a vegetable. Deep frying them is bad for you, but so is deep frying a mushroom. Chips are still vegetables.

It's like pizza, you can cook a healthy and decent pizza. They're not all blanket bad.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
reply to post by Peruvianmonk

For you.

Shame Brooker sold out at the first opportunity. 10 Oclock live is much more of a tragedy than an advert about mince pies

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join