It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution Faces Mass Opposition from LAUSD

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Havick007

[color=dodgerblue]Fast food is a rare occurrence for my little guys. I try to make everything at home. I see so many overweight kids, kids with high blood pressure, diabetes, etc that I am determined that it will not happen to my children.

And fast food may be more convenient but homemade tastes a lot better

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 07:57 AM
link   
I actually made Jamies spinach and ricotta cannelloni recipe last night, it was bloody marvellous.

Have shed loads left, so I divided it and froze it. Will probably get fat now, but at least I know what went in it.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 08:02 AM
link   

The problem is is that Jamie Oliver is not an American. As annoyed as the world is in America interfering in other nations business it is down to Americans and Americans alon to decide what kind of food life style they wish to lead.

I personally cannot stand Oliver's whining and crying about such things in Britian let alone in a country he is not a citizen of.
Your just a chef Oliver, why do you think anyone cares about your opinion on what they eat?

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Peruvianmonk

For you.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   

wow that statement is so ignorant... it is opinion like that that stops anyone that is only trying to help from succeeding.

What has he ever done to hurt you or anyone else.... all he has ever tried to do is help people to eat better quality produce and healthier products!!!

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by daryllyn

Very true!

I prefer my Spagetti Bolognaise over a resturant anyday!

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Suspiria

yum!

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   

What about Gordan Ramsey and Hells Kitchen or Kitchen Nightmares in the US?

He was able to make a difference and he wasn't even promoting healthy eating, or is profit and fancy plating the only thing we should consider...

edit on 20-5-2011 by Havick007 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Why is it ignorant?

I find him very offensive. He criticises a lot of working class people within the U.S. & U.K. on what they feed their kids, even the ones who aren't obese! Parents don't have any money, parents work all hours off the day, it isn't easy. Unlike for him and his mulit milliond pund empire.

I don't care what he is trying to do, it isn't his place.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Gordon Ramsey is also a foul mouthed nob end.

Still prefer him to Oliver's sanctimonious bullsh**.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Well someone has to do it!

This thread is about school food systems and what they provide children. It isnt about him critisising parents.

Although at the same i disagree again, i find that bad diet becomes a vicious cycle, and parents begin to feed their children junk, fat and fastfood. That should almost come under neglect!

Why feed children junk??

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Havick007
Why feed children junk??

Because it's easier and cheaper.

Granted, I grew up on junk food (two working parents)...but my generation's junk food's ingredients could still be pronounced.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Peruvianmonk

The problem is is that Jamie Oliver is not an American. As annoyed as the world is in America interfering in other nations business it is down to Americans and Americans alon to decide what kind of food life style they wish to lead.

I personally cannot stand Oliver's whining and crying about such things in Britian let alone in a country he is not a citizen of.
Your just a chef Oliver, why do you think anyone cares about your opinion on what they eat?

HAHAHA ... pot...kettle....black???

Yeah mate, because america don't go around the world sticking their noses in EVERYONES business do they???

Enjoy your kool-aid

oh and just to let you know... the world is not in America haha

haha maybe because he is a world famous chef and therefore knows a little bit about the subject at hand (food) and understands the importance of nutriants more than your average joe
edit on 20/5/11 by Flying Sorcerer because: adding stuff

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
2 comments on this thread/topic (and a great discussion btw OP. Thanks).

I honestly believe the motivating factor behind not letting him in the CA schools was because they don't want to change. Change means cost and cost means less profit.

I'm not familiar with school systems in California but here in TX the schools are called ISDs (Independent School Districts) which are basically for-profit corporations that follow state-mandated (and federal) guidelines for eduction. Things like lunches are most likely organized by bean-counters and NOT nutritionists. To suggest a change to this would shake the foundation at it's roots.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Flying Sorcerer

So sorry, I meant at America, it seems pretty clear that was what I meant when you read the rest of the monologue.

We cannot all be spelling heroes like you.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   

I don't drink Kool aid as I am not an American and do not live there.

Mug.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   

So sorry, I meant at America, it seems pretty clear that was what I meant when you read the rest of the monologue.

We cannot all be spelling heroes like you.

No, my spelling is as bad as most here, but "as" and "in" are nowhere near each other on the keyboard, so no, it was NOT obvious what you meant at all... my crystal ball seems to be broken today - sorry.

If the parents are not prepared to feed their kids real food then they should be classed as neglecting their own children!!

I would never dream of letting my son have pizza for breakfast ffs!! So if a school ever gave him pizza for breakfast I would not be a happy bunny at all.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   

I don't drink Kool aid as I am not an American and do not live there.

Mug.

Yeah because it is exclusive to the US isn't it???

deny ignorance

Why is it ignorant?
I find him very offensive. He criticises a lot of working class people within the U.S. & U.K. on what they feed their kids, even the ones who aren't obese! Parents don't have any money, parents work all hours off the day, it isn't easy. Unlike for him and his mulit milliond pund empire.

As a parent who is always on the bones of his arse I can tell you that no matter how much I don't want to, I always make sure my lad gets a healthy tea inside of him and not chicken nuggets and crap like that! Once a month or so he will get a maccies (as will I). It is not wrong to occasionally have crap food, just not the same low standard crap that most people seem to think is acceptable just because it is allowed to be sold in shops lol.
edit on 20/5/11 by Flying Sorcerer because: adding stuff

edit on 20/5/11 by Flying Sorcerer because: spullung

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   

I have never seen Kool Aid in the UK.

Nothing wrong with feeding your kids some chicken nuggets, do what you want they are your kids.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   

I have never seen Kool Aid in the UK.

Nothing wrong with feeding your kids some chicken nuggets, do what you want they are your kids.

Yeah, we have lots of parents in the UK doing exactly what they want. And the kids are turning out just fine.

I know of at least five mums that feed their kids cr@p. Lots of chocolate, lots of processed food, drinks full of sugar, etc. Odd how their kids are "chubby". Probably normal, well that's the classification of a majority.

Sorry, but really gets to me seeing kids eat rubbish.

It's child abuse via ignorance.

Don't get me wrong, feed them some cr@p now and again. But why give 1 year old child a chocolate bar, when a slice of apple would be just a enjoyable for them? (Apples are cheaper for a start)

Say whatever you want about Jamie, but he's not doing this for his ego. He's trying to bloody help!

Oh, and the cost argument (for the UK). Rubbish, it's laziness. Quicker to to go to Iceland and buy some chicken burgers, than buy a chicken and make a couple of different dishes that would last for a few days.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join