It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Black Supporter of the Confederate Army

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 05:37 AM
link   
" Those that forget the past, are doomed to repeat it."

George Orwell.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 05:42 AM
link   
reply to post by leejohnbarnes

There's a difference between remembering the past and obsessing over it. The whole point of remembering the past and the mistakes of the past is to learn from them as you go forward.
Not to dwell on the past endlessly arguing the merits and follies of events and actions of the past.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 05:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by dethduck

There's a difference between remembering the past and obsessing over it. The whole point of remembering the past and the mistakes of the past is to learn from them as you go forward.
Not to dwell on the past endlessly arguing the merits and follies of events and actions of the past.

semantic nonsense.

Those that forget even the tiniest detail of the past, invite such events to occur again.

History doesnt move forward in great leaps, small changes cause great events to occur.

History is in the detail.

Ever heard of Chaos and Complexity Theory ?

The flapping of a butterflys wings causes a hurricane on the other side of the world ?

edit on 20-5-2011 by leejohnbarnes because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 05:55 AM
link   

No more semantic than your own quotation.
You can learn from the past without getting lost in, as you put it, "the tiniest details" and still go forward.
Personally, despite that old axiom about repeating the past; people, politics and society as a whole change significantly from era to era. The likelihood of repeating the past is not as high as you would think.
Besides, that wasn't my point to begin with.
My point is, that it is pointless to take the issues of the past that belonged to the people of that time and somehow present them as our issues when we have enough of our own to contend with. The pay is not my present and is most certainly not my future.

edit on 5/20/2011 by dethduck because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 05:59 AM
link   
We can never escape the past.

The body you inhabit is a relic of the past of your ancestors.

The past is both the present and the future.

They are all connected.

Think of the world as a web of infinite connections, not as a linear progression.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 06:01 AM
link   

Yeah sure, whatever.
Have fun living in the past.
I'm just going to continue living on the now doing what I can to build a worthwhile future.
Out.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 06:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by dethduck

Yeah sure, whatever.
Have fun living in the past.
I'm just going to continue living on the now doing what I can to build a worthwhile future.
Out.

Yep.

As expected.

Dont turn on.

Dont tune in.

Opt to stay in the Matrix.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Here's some "learning from the past" for you.
I would say you're delusional(the Matrix? Really?) but I know better.
It's not as if you're the first person in the internet who has tried to troll me.
You obviously just want either an argument or a reaction from me where I get so frustrated I start foaming at the mouth.
Sorry, not gonna bite.
Feel free to gloat in smug superiority, hope it makes you feel good.
I'm done either way.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 06:24 AM
link   
My reference to the Matrix is an ironic cultural reference to the well known movie.

In this regard ' The Matrix ' is the web of lies and illusions generated by the main stream media and also falsehoods and false beliefs inculcated into people via the educational system.

It is the world the mental slaves inhabit.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by leejohnbarnes

Originally posted by Goathief
The democrats were probably brought up as political subterfuge, I would think that's pretty obvious.

The OP's post reeks of agenda.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

Yep.

I have an agenda.

Its called WAKE UP AMERICA !

Who did your ancestors fight for? North or South??

Where do you live... North or South?

Just curious

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   
The South.

Kent to be exact.

I always support the South against the North.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Muckster

I think he is more sane than you.

He questions authority and thinks for himself - you parrot what you are told by authority and just accept it.

And you ignore the facts i present you with and resort to petty insults...

He may question authority and think for himself (as do i) but that alone is not proof of sanity.

He does, however, defend a flag that was used as a symbol of oppression against millions of "folk who looked like him"

He is simply pumped up with misguided patriotism. Almost like the Stockholm syndrome.... he has fallen in love with his oppressors. That, to me, is a little bit insane!

Peace

You insulted a man whose opinion you disagreed with and inferred he was mentally ill.

Thats the sort of thing petty little Liberal Stalinists love to do - they call anyone who doesnt agree with their liberal BS as mentally ill.

Stalin used to lock up those people who wanted a 'democracy' in mental hospitals.

You defend a flag, the Union Flag, that killed hundreds of thousands of Americans in its war to conquer the South, that infected black people with VD to test drugs on them, that supported Jim Crow, that slaughtered millions of Native Americans and on and on it goes - the long list of American crimes.

Yet this man thinks for himself - and you call him mentally ill.

If anyone has fallen in love with their oppressor - it is you.

Figures.

Of course the Union did bad things... i don’t think them innocent for one second.... just the slightly lesser of two evils...

You make this assumption that i am some kind of leftie commie who is deluded about the realities of the world... yet your past threads show you to be someone who is paranoid about White people being taken over by black people.

You then expect me to believe you when you say that the South was lovely jubley and meant no harm to black people. The very source you quoted admitted that the south refused black people official status in the southern Army... It was only because of the desperation, and reality of losing the War, that southern commanders un-officially enlisted Black soldiers.

A fact that i pointed out to you before but, instead of answering, you just dribbled on about how i am a Stalinist...

Well if i'm Stalin you must be Hitler

And all this from someone who aint even American

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 07:23 AM
link   

You defend a flag, the Union Flag, that killed hundreds of thousands of Americans in its war to conquer the South, that infected black people with VD to test drugs on them, that supported Jim Crow, that slaughtered millions of Native Americans and on and on it goes - the long list of American crimes.

The flag didn't kill anyone, people who rally around flags and governments always end up killing someone for their 'flag' or getting killed by others for their 'flag'. Nationalism merely divides people, it's like religion only it's more subtle and much more widely accepted (even today unfortunately).

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   

I think he is more sane than you.

He questions authority and thinks for himself - you parrot what you are told by authority and just accept it.

And you ignore the facts i present you with and resort to petty insults...

He may question authority and think for himself (as do i) but that alone is not proof of sanity.

He does, however, defend a flag that was used as a symbol of oppression against millions of "folk who looked like him"

He is simply pumped up with misguided patriotism. Almost like the Stockholm syndrome.... he has fallen in love with his oppressors. That, to me, is a little bit insane!

Peace

You insulted a man whose opinion you disagreed with and inferred he was mentally ill.

Thats the sort of thing petty little Liberal Stalinists love to do - they call anyone who doesnt agree with their liberal BS as mentally ill.

Stalin used to lock up those people who wanted a 'democracy' in mental hospitals.

Yet this man thinks for himself - and you call him mentally ill.

If anyone has fallen in love with their oppressor - it is you.

Figures.

Of course the Union did bad things... i don’t think them innocent for one second.... just the slightly lesser of two evils...

You make this assumption that i am some kind of leftie commie who is deluded about the realities of the world... yet your past threads show you to be someone who is paranoid about White people being taken over by black people.

You then expect me to believe you when you say that the South was lovely jubley and meant no harm to black people. The very source you quoted admitted that the south refused black people official status in the southern Army... It was only because of the desperation, and reality of losing the War, that southern commanders un-officially enlisted Black soldiers.

A fact that i pointed out to you before but, instead of answering, you just dribbled on about how i am a Stalinist...

Well if i'm Stalin you must be Hitler

And all this from someone who aint even American

I have never lived on the moon - does that mean I cannot comment on astronomy issues.

I have never lived in the Vatican - does that mean I cannot comment on religious issues to do with Christianity ?

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   

The South.

Kent to be exact.

I always support the South against the North.

Is there some new Civil War that I'm unaware of? Is there going to be a rematch?

What does this thread accomplish?

Whether you like it or not and regardless of the details, the Civil War is viewed as a symbol of a paradigm shift. And the majority believe it was a shift in the right direction, regardless of the details.

In reality, people simply associate the Union victory with the end of slavery--this may be wrong, but it's reality.

Just let people believe we became better humans during that time.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Hey, that's HK!!! I know him!!! I'm a civil war reenactor (reenactress??? lol I'm a girl) and he is at a lot of our reenactments... always in uniform, always with his flag. I have to say that I never ever met a finer gentleman, ever. And although it really surprises me to find HK here on ATS, when I saw the title of the thread, somehow I knew that it would be him!

Star and flag for you!

Just wanted to edit to add that there are many many more black supporters of the Confederate Army. I have met many since I became a reenactor. Granted, this is now and not then (which many would use as an argument) but the ones I know are strong in their beliefs and I always enjoy meeting and speaking with them.
edit on 5/20/2011 by gemineye because: add more info

top topics

<< 1   >>

join