It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google vows to fight antipiracy bill even if passed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Google vows to fight antipiracy bill even if passed

news.cnet.com

Google has signaled that the company is prepared to oppose the major film and music companies as well as Congress and the president of the United States on a controversial bill designed to thwart online piracy.
Schmidt said: "If there is a law that requires DNS [domain name systems, the protocol that allows users to connect to Web sites], to do x, and it's passed by both houses of Congress and signed by the president of the United States, and we disagree with it, then we would still fight it..."
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
gamepolitics.com
www.pakistangeonews.com
news.cnet.com
edit on 20-5-2011 by Bixxi3 because: (no reason given)

edit on 20/5/11 by argentus because: repair headline

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Ok so looks like google does care! I know theirs alot of hate and suspicion on ats about google. So i'd like to get everyone's views on this new development.
I've always thought that google has some strong principles that they stick by. And the fact they have come out and said they will fight the PROTECT IP act even if it passes is something else.

There are some links to other news articles and the last link is more information on the act.

news.cnet.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Opps didn't see the link in the headline but won't let me remove it. anyone know how?
edit on 20-5-2011 by Bixxi3 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Funny you just mentioned google lol:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 02:31 AM
link   
I'm not a huge fan of Google, but this is some welcome news.

Although I suspect that if it comes down to Google vs Congress and the RIAA/MPAA, then Google would come out second-best, this certainly is a good sign that they are at least making public statements about it.

The one thing that Google really could do is help inform people of the risks in this system, particularly feature-creep. EG a website providing safe-sex information in an "abstinence-only" state - block their DNS!

If people on ATS point something like that out, a lot of people will think tinfoil hat crowd being paranoid, and go about their business.

If Google put their clout behind it, people may take it more seriously.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 02:33 AM
link   
I would give my left testicle to get to work at Google.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 02:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by enteri

Then you would have zero lol.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 02:37 AM
link   
reply to post by enteri

I'd love to work at Google to, but I don't know if I'd go that far.

But I can't help but think Google has a vested interest in this. Not just a desire to keep information free.

But I'll do everything I can to fight anti-piracy too. Information wants to be free!!!

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 02:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by whatisanameanyway

The one thing that Google really could do is help inform people of the risks in this system, particularly feature-creep. EG a website providing safe-sex information in an "abstinence-only" state - block their DNS!

I didn't even know about that. That really worrying. this crosses a line in my opinion and i do hope that google can do something. Another thing i thought about is if this only effects the American servers can we not just go to say google.co.uk? And does anyone know if proxys would be effective against this?

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bixxi3
I didn't even know about that. That really worrying. this crosses a line in my opinion and i do hope that google can do something. Another thing i thought about is if this only effects the American servers can we not just go to say google.co.uk? And does anyone know if proxys would be effective against this?

You would have to go through a completely illegal network, but this is an option and many people have been considering it. If the government forced this upon ISPs, your ISP is your gateway to the rest of the world, including to British versions of websites. So they would be nipping your connection at the bud so to speak. You would have to go through a completely different network.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 03:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL

Originally posted by enteri

Then you would have zero lol.

don't go derailing my thread with testicle jokes!

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 03:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by bsbray11

You would have to go through a completely illegal network, but this is an option and many people have been considering it. If the government forced this upon ISPs, your ISP is your gateway to the rest of the world, including to British versions of websites. So they would be nipping your connection at the bud so to speak. You would have to go through a completely different network.

That seems so Un fair. its like major Corps. Don't even give a # anymore as they know they have everyone fooled thanks to the MSN.
Hmm maybe Google can do something like they did with Libya? The gov shutdown the internet there and google set up a way to get people internet.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 03:50 AM
link   
While googling about google. I found a intresting but old article about google censoring sites that are criticle about sciencetology.

"We removed certain specific URLs in response to a notification submitted by the Religious Technology Center and Bridge Publications under section 512(c)(3) of the the Digital Millenium Copyright Act (DMCA). Had we not removed these URLs, we would be subject to a claim for copyright infringement, regardless of its merits."

www.factnet.org...

"If there is a law that requires DNS [domain name systems, the protocol that allows users to connect to Web sites], to do x, and it's passed by both houses of Congress and signed by the president of the United States, and we disagree with it, then we would still fight it..."

So im wondering why has google's attitude changed?
Maybe theDigital Millennium Copyright Act had no benefit for google so if didn't bother fighting to hard. I bet it has something to do with money.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 06:17 AM
link   
google has always been a big defender of open source.

but they are still the fuzz.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 06:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Bixxi3

I wouldn't say Google's attitude changed - it is simply picking your battles.

The legal system is a way for little insignificant pests to threaten companies with hundreds of thousands (if not millions) in court fees and settlement costs. It's like "say your sorry, or I'm going to go tell the teacher on you!" - you simply say you're sorry because you don't want to stop what you are doing to be bothered by the adult.

What is going through Congress right now fundamentally changes the entire internet and virtually renders search provers like Google inoperable. There's no point to advertise through Google if ISPs are going to be forced to filter domains at the whim of government - and, for whatever reason, you are being filtered (either directly or simply because you are attached to the same domain as a few other sites that have been selected for filtering).

new topics

top topics

join