It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Satellite radio captures ears of millions - Do you XM or Sirius ?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I don't own either, but I own stock in both!!

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Did you know that XM can now be heard on your desktop? They are offering 3 free days for those who would like to experience XM Sat radio on their PC (I have broadband very smooth very little buffering--not to sure about dial up)
---And NO I do not work for or endorse or otherwise recieve any compensation for telling you about this..it is not an ad, just passing the info on. Go to www.xmradio.com...

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder
Pay for radio???? NO THANKS I can play cd's all day long, hear exactly what I want to. Not have to listen to anybody's opinion or commercials. I cannot believe how the sheep line up to be removed from their money.

Who's the sheep? Why are you buying cd's, when analog radio is free.

groingrinder (aka:skateboarder)
Within the first four notes, I know the song and artist playing on most music I listen to. No need for fancy digital radio to do that.

What about new songs you have never heard or unreleased ones?

I have XM, I have had it for around 1 1/2 years, i like it, my favorite channels are 20, 21, 66, 67, 150, and around lunch time on week days 152 (The Shannon Burk Show).

150 is comedy and the first 4 are rap. They play a wide variety of it to, Its pretty rare that between those 4 channels that I can't find a good song playing.
- Plus they have no commercials.

I think its worth the 10 bucks a month. I would like to have it in my house as well but dont want to pay another 6 bucks for it. I wouldn't mind buying a xm radio for the house but I dont want to pay another seperate fee just for that one. I wish XM would change there stance on that.

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 02:45 AM
link   
My father just recently got Sirius. I never got to check it out yet.. But I can't wait. He got it for his truck.. I'm hoping he'll get a system for the house.

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 04:22 AM
link   
good or bad how do we all feel about losing more of our privacy?satellite radio is good and all that but wheres the guy that changes the songs once and awhile. i have listen to satellite radio and after awhile it plays the same songs over and over again.fm radio does too but satellite is way worse.you pay a monthly fee.wow i guess those record labels will get there losses back on those mp3s they are whining about.see the joke is we will have to go out and buy another t.v another radio another this and that .enough is enough forcing us to constantly upgrade is too costly and there going find out that some of us will not buy there bull.remember beta and will look back and go remember satellite radio.to many pay services not going to go well with the common man im sure.anolog is still much better then digital signals.digital tend to break down when the computer crashes.ex.computer crashes in emergency fire police seem already surfacing in the news.so i say anolog still much better then digital.

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 05:48 AM
link   
Wile its starting to look like its cheching on dont go jumping on the xm band wagon just yet . from the start up 5 6 years agaio to now they are opperating in the red (lousing money ) the company needs aleast 10 million users to start making money and wile they do have investers that are footing the bills right now this wont last forever.
me personly im not spending or modfing my car untill they hit that ten million mark because untill then the company is on borrowed time.
Of corse they have found a few car companies to install it with the car befor you buy so the chances are incressing it will chech on.

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone
another feature I really love is, the ability of knowing the name of the song and the artist that is currently playing

Within the first four notes, I know the song and artist playing on most music I listen to. No need for fancy digital radio to do that.

I too can recognize a lot of songs, however, I've since XM'ing, I've been turned on to so much new music and artists... it's nice to know immediately who they are and the song titles, I can then go buy the music and expand my library.

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 05:16 PM
link   
any links Simcity? Because I read that they need 2 million customers to break even, and they have past the 2 mill mark.

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Just wanted to revive an old thread here for some of our new members...

By the way,, XM Radio is over 4 million subscribers now..

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I had a chance to listen to XM radio on my flight home this past weekend, and i must say i was quite impressed.

the sound quality was really fantastic, as was the selection of music. However, i did notice a lack of any metal stations on XM. If XM added even one metal station, i would gladdly give them my $10/month.

[edit on 21-9-2005 by negativenihil]

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 03:22 PM
link   
They have metal...

XM Liquid Metal - Channel # 42

Squizz - Channel # 48..

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Howard Stern's move to satelite is going to REVOLUTIONIZE radio the way cable/HBO has done. I should know, I bought stock 3 days before he announced his deal.

Peace

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I'm listening to AltNation on Sirius right now. It is the #, plain and simple. I have an iPod but this keeps me constantly in tune with the newest rock out there. Howard Stern's gonna be unbelievable this winter.

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 04:33 PM
link   
I don’t know who said it but, "Yes the sheep will line up to spend there money on the next big thing!" I wonder how many of you have HD TV as well! (Another ridiculous tech upgrade for the rich and spoiled." Nothing wrong with that, I guess if you can afford it, RIGHT?

I'll incriminate myself here because their for my personal use. However, I'll never again pay for a CD or RADIO ever, PERIOD.

I hear any song, anywhere, no matter what, If it catches my fancy I'll burn it off the net!!

So the only thing playing in my stereo are my own personal CD's. And my collection covers every genre I am in the mood for at that particular time.

Radio Tuner $120
CD's (pack of 50) $20
Not paying a monthly fee for what used to be free and hearing and hearing all the songs I love! Priceless

P.S. We pay for water, radio, Extra TV channels, and haven’t they patented air to in some places as well? Damn and honestly, what’s next?

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 05:58 PM
link   
We have had both XM and Sirius(hubby had both in his vehicle for a short while) and we prefer the Sirius, the music is more to our liking. We gave my Grandmother a Sirius boom box for her 80th birthday 18m ago and she loves it. Though she wanted XM and when hers was hit with lightning, we replaced it with XM for her. It has better 40's and big band programming.

I love it on long trips as I like the discovery radio and other programming that is more entertainment/talk stuff. My husband likes the sports and music and the kids watch TV in the back.

Such is life in the 21st century

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone
They have metal...

XM Liquid Metal - Channel # 42

Squizz - Channel # 48..

Well then! That changes everything.

I must have either missed those channels on the card the airline provided, or they simply decided not to carry 'em.

i am so going to look into this seriously now

[edit on 22-9-2005 by negativenihil]

posted on Sep, 25 2005 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Pay for radio???? NO THANKS I can play cd's all day long, hear exactly what I want to. Not have to listen to anybody's opinion or commercials. I cannot believe how the sheep line up to be removed from their money.

I have to agree, although we have Sirius where I work and I do enjoy listening to it, it WILL be a cold day in hell when I actually pay for radio. Seriously(no pun intended), do you need backround noise that bad? I love music(I'm a musician as a hobby) but I don't need to have noise around me all the time. I am odd though, I don't have a TV, will never have a cell phone and will never, never pay a cent for radio.

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 02:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by foxtrot_uniform
Its all part of one plan.... to find where you are at any giving time.
At the end of 2005 all tv sets with be analog. No air waves, all satillite, if your tv is not compatible you must buy a type of reciever for you to get any stations period. Soon enough all radio stations will be recieved only from satillite transmissions and the internet. Already there is wireless internet. (Laptops, phones) Scary stuff. The gov. will soon be able to track people anywhere they go.

www.wnd.com...

Mainly all incorrect I'm afraid, if you mean by 'air waves', terrestial broadcasts as opposed to satellite - then here in the UK at least that is wrong, as there are now a range of digital channels being broadcast from all the TV dist masts as an alternative for Digital Satellite.

And neither satellite radio or satellite TV will enable anyone to track you in any way whatsoever, the signal is one way and generally the receiving equipment has NO way of transmitting anything, let alone your position. There is no need for it to be able to do this anyhow.

You are kind of right about wireless hotspots in that it is possible to triangulate someone's position and software is being developed to do this to give urban users a service similar to GPS for location based services.

The article is interesting, it is pretty old now but the company does exist and does develop technology like that, whop knows how long before it is implemented. However the VeriChip they are currently implanting people with is nothing more than a 125Hz Tag which releases a number when activated by, the same as the ones in your pets.

Technologies being implemented you may wish to research are the increasing number of GPS units being installed in Mobile Phones for 'Location Based Services' but which can also be used to track someone with the usual accuracy of GPS.

'Pay as you Go' Car insurance, here in the UK Norwich Union have been trialling a system which uses a GPS 'Black Box' in your car to track where and when you have been anywhere to calculate your insurance.

'Pay as you Go' Car Tax, thought of by the UK Government but I think may be on hold due to budget constraints, but you would need to check to make sure.

There are probably others too, but I can assure you that there is no threat from TV or Radio transmissions. They are going Digital purely because you can fit many signals into the bandwidth that 1 normal signal would occupy, allong with many quality and service advantages.

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 04:13 PM
link   
why would I pay for radio when I can get it for free?

Its like buying water, or using disposable razors.

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Depends on where you live and the quality of free broadcasting. Those out of major metropolitan areas may not have a signal from a station with music/talk they want to hear

I don't have it in my car, as I am not an audiophile and pretty happy with local programming. My husband has it and it is wonderful on long car trips. Great through the mountains where getting a signal of anything worth listening to is about impossible. I loooove discovery radio. He likes the music.

There are no good 40's type stations in this area. My grandmother now has access to something like 10 stations of music that she likes. Stuff that would not be economically feasible for local stations. She loves it.

So, you really have to look at WHY someone wants it. Some very good reasons. Sometimes you just want it and who cares? Just helps the economy by creating jobs

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join